Ford guru's chime in. tune problems or something else??

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
Ive been back and forth with the car since my first tune. After it was initially tuned back in December it went straight into the garage. When i pulled it out for the first drive of the year it seemed to drive 'ok'. I wasnt to happy with the high idle (1100) and the overall driveablility of it. Several times at WOT it would buck and sputter, other times it wouldnt. Without me touching anything on the car it began to idle like crap making the car non-drivable.

I was able to limp it up to my buddies shop where he looked over checked as much as he could without having a ford scan tool or being able to datalog (hes very knowledgable). We smoke tested it and did find a vac leak coming from inbetween the charger and the inlet. Without fixing the leak we determined it may be a tune issue. The car would idle but it just surged up and down eventually stalling the car. As i did not trust my previous tune/tuner i went with a new tuner. The car was towed there and the following day i was told that my check engine light was permantely shut off from the previous tuner. The new tuner was able to check for codes and advised me that both of my primary O2's were not working. He replaced the O2's without touching the tune. I picked the car up and it drove home fine with no problems at all.

Several days later i went to start it and the idle surge was back. I tried driving the car around the block but it was sputtering extremely bad, so the car got towed back up to tuner who had replaced the O2's and had him start from scratch with a new tune. He told me he had the car was running great in the exception the idle. He said the dashpot was giving him problems but he was able to work around it getting the car very drivable and a lot better than on the previous tune. To the tuner's credit he has spent a lot of time trying to get everything perfected. I picked the car up again and drove it home fine. Several days later after sitting, Same damn idle problem....

My buddies and i decided to pull the charger off and fix the vac leak just to rule it out. Also i found out that Whipple offered a different bypass actuator made for big cam applications, so i ordered it up. When we took off the charger we noticed there was gas sitting on top of the valves, on all cylinders. Fixed the vac leak, installed new bypass, and did a leak down test on all the injectors. All good to go. Got everything installed, fired her up and SAME F'ING IDLE PROBLEM!

Now get this. When i turn the switch off for the fuel pump the FPR gauge instantly drops to zero, and a couple seconds later the car begins to idle perfect. Itll stay idling fine until it runs outa fuel. It does it everytime i shut off the switch. So any ideas?? :shrug:

*im running a return style fuel setup with Bosch 105lb injectors and an Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump*

Last edited:

MattACK

Established Member
Sounds like a problem with your tuners. I'd like to see the log that made him replace your O2s as well.

What is your static fuel pressure?

Also sounds like you're running very rich if it idles better as fuel pressure drops. Do you have an A/f gauge? Can you daatalog and see what your STFTs are at?

Last edited:

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
Yea I don't know about the log regarding the O2's.
Fuel pressure is right around 40-42.
I don't have an AFR gauge installed at time being. I can't datalog as the last tuner told me my SCT wouldn't allow him to :bash:

jblood37

Established Member
I don't have an AFR gauge installed at time being. I can't datalog as the last tuner told me my SCT wouldn't allow him to :bash:

Wow really? That's nuts. I hope you get that figured out/maybe find a new tuner.

Last edited:

MattACK

Established Member

I find that difficult to believe too. How did he tune it, if he couldn't datalog it? The handhelds can be finicky in regard to the sequence of it being connected to the vehicle, then laptop, then livelink opened... irritating as hell, but patience is a virtue.

Does your fuel pressure increase as you come out of vacuum (accelerating) or does it drop?

Are there any other experienced terminator guys around you in WI? I'd even contact JDM and see if they can write you a tune. I've used them in the past and the first tunes they cut are usually pretty dang close to perfect.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Sounds like your car may have some minor mechanical issues that need to be found and fixed as well as needing a proper tune. My recommendation would be to take the car to a reputable shop/tuner. This way they can properly tune it as well as trouble shoot any issues then.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

04torchred

Established Member

Have you verified that "YOU" can't datalog it? If you don't have a laptop can you borrow a friends and throw the livelink software on it and just see if you can't datalog. At least rule that item out.

If you can datalog on your own there are lots of tuners around that can start to help you if that is the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread