Ford GT Supercar Cams

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
What's up everyone, I was browsing AM's website and came across the 13/14 GT500 aka Ford GT cams and was wondering if anyone had an idle clip of them in a 07-12 GT500, just want to see if the lope is nice enough to not shell out $2k on some L&M or COMP cams

Thanks

JimIII@jdm

Same cams as in the 13-14 GT500, there is almost no difference in idle sound. Minimal performance gains (maybe 20HP) We offer them as well for $899 Free S&H, but they aren't worth much for your time. Your better off with our JDM Super Stock cams. They include everything you should upgrade when installing cams in these cars plus the sound your looking for and potentially 100 HP gain!!!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jdm+super+stock+camshafts

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
What's up everyone, I was browsing AM's website and came across the 13/14 GT500 aka Ford GT cams and was wondering if anyone had an idle clip of them in a 07-12 GT500, just want to see if the lope is nice enough to not shell out $2k on some L&M or COMP cams

Thanks

I can't link my youtube page (work firewall) - however, my Shelby has them if you seach YT for "stkjock" there are a bunch of vids for you to hear them.

IMO - if one is going to spend the time & money to get cams, get at least a NSR cam for the sound and performance over a GT cam. L&M makes some killer grinds. I wish I had put some in when L&M did the motor back in 2010

Speedboosted

Established Member
Prolly 15-17hrs or roughly $1,500 give or take plus tune.

That's way too much. We charge 8-9 hours or so for DOHC motors. Sometimes a little less, but that's the average. So $850 for install

kw_rc

Established Member
That's a fair price. What is your shop name and where are you located?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
That's way too much. We charge 8-9 hours or so for DOHC motors. Sometimes a little less, but that's the average. So $850 for install

For the 5.4 in a S197?

I'd have to search, however, memory tells me it's a bigger job in these cars. Some shops even drop the motor out to do the swap.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Same cams as in the 13-14 GT500, there is almost no difference in idle sound. Minimal performance gains (maybe 20HP) We offer them as well for $899 Free S&H, but they aren't worth much for your time. Your better off with our JDM Super Stock cams. They include everything you should upgrade when installing cams in these cars plus the sound your looking for and potentially 100 HP gain!!!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jdm+super+stock+camshafts

What all would be needed? (And I still need to get w/ you about that 850HP Whipple pump gas tune you mentioned a few months ago.)

JimIII@jdm

Not sure about a GT500 but on my GT/CS they charged me 6 hours labor if I remember correctly

You have half the amount of work to do ;)

To do the 4 cams it could be done in a day 8-10 hrs if your hustling. However changing cams with out changing the springs is the last thing I would do to a GT500. The factory springs hold about 50lbs of seat pressure. You want to add a bigger cam with more lift and not expect valve float?! Most everyone who is putting cams in their shelby is already making big power with a big blower running big boost numbers. The factory springs will hold a good amount of boost pressure but when you increase the valve lift with your bigger cams with XX amount of boost pressure on the back of the valve your going to rob yourself of power and make your valve train pretty inefficient. Your going to cause the valves to start to want to float, blowing power out the exhaust and generating more heat in the intake. So the right way to do it is get a Higher seat pressure spring that will hold the valve and keep from float. It will help with the overall efficiency of the engine and internal heat, less chance of engine failure and more power!!! To change cams and springs your looking at more of a 20 hr job. It takes a lot more time to change all 32 springs and cams than just swaping 4 cams.

Last edited:

JimIII@jdm

What all would be needed? (And I still need to get w/ you about that 850HP Whipple pump gas tune you mentioned a few months ago.)

We have our SS cam package which comes with the Cams and Springs, I also recommend doing the ARP cam bolts and if your engine is still stock then add the Billet Oil pump gears to be safe at that kind of power level. We usually don't let our customers go above 800 RWHP on pump gas.

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
We have our SS cam package which comes with the Cams and Springs, I also recommend doing the ARP cam bolts and if your engine is still stock then add the Billet Oil pump gears to be safe at that kind of power level. We usually don't let our customers go above 800 RWHP on pump gas.

Do you guys sell just a spring/retainer package? I ordered a set of custom grinds and am now in the market for springs and retainers

JimIII@jdm

Do you guys sell just a spring/retainer package? I ordered a set of custom grinds and am now in the market for springs and retainers

Yes we can spec out a package for you. Call us up 732-780-0770 with your cam specs and we can suggest a spring rate and retainer style for you.

JimIII

Vi_king500

Established Member
Killing me! I already spent so much on other parts through the black friday/cyber monday sales.. :(

Had no idea you are in NJ either...

JimIII@jdm

Killing me! I already spent so much on other parts through the black friday/cyber monday sales.. :(

Had no idea you are in NJ either...

Haha I hear ya, they'll be on sale all month so you've got a little time! We're in Freehold, Probably an hour and 15 mins from AC. Exit 100

RedNightmare06

Established Member
To do it right the motor needs to come out, IMO.( no real way around that). Way neater and safer in the long run.
You can just hold the chains up and not take off the front timing chain cover . You can do it this way in the car but not the best way to go IMO.
Reason I say that, I suggest also putting on new chains . To do this the front timing chain cover must come off that also requires removing the oil cooler which requires removing the exhaust manifold or header, along with all the front accessories and balancer .(I highly suggest new chains ,guides and tensioner's along with lifter/lasher's while doing cams along with Jim(jdm) mentioned.

Its a big job not matter how you look at it , so if doing it, do it right or just don't do it.
Chains cams, springs, lasher's and labor its a 4000 job all day long(and that's on the low side).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread