Ford GT street car @Mosport

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Wait, what? I didn't know Ford outsourced the building of these cars. What is the story/reasoning for this?
2000 cars.

Hand laid carbon fiber.

For Ford to setup a facility that could build these things, the cost would be outrageous.

Not to mention Multimatic builds a lot of high end race car chassis. It would take Ford a long time to get to that level.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
2000 cars.

Hand laid carbon fiber.

For Ford to setup a facility that could build these things, the cost would be outrageous.

Not to mention Multimatic builds a lot of high end race car chassis. It would take Ford a long time to get to that level.

Oh I seeeeeeee. I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member

MFE

Established Member
Wait, what? I didn't know Ford outsourced the building of these cars. What is the story/reasoning for this?

Don't kid yourself into thinking Ford only outsourced the building of these things to Multimatic. I remember Ford execs crowing about how they had an internal skunkworks that created it, and people I know who are deeply involved in design and engineering were like, how the **** did THAT happen, with all the cross-checks and layers of approval that have to take place in the development of a car? The answer, in retrospect, is easy: Their skunkworks was across the border in Canada. This thing is practically a Ford-licensed Multi-matic car.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Don't kid yourself into thinking Ford only outsourced the building of these things to Multimatic. I remember Ford execs crowing about how they had an internal skunkworks that created it, and people I know who are deeply involved in design and engineering were like, how the **** did THAT happen, with all the cross-checks and layers of approval that have to take place in the development of a car? The answer, in retrospect, is easy: Their skunkworks was across the border in Canada. This thing is practically a Ford-licensed Multi-matic car.

Funny. I'll make sure all the guys working on it in Dearborn know they didn't actually work on it. "Deeply involved in design." :rolleyes: That's weird, because basically everyone that was "deeply involved in the design" of this car lives right around me, and they are all pretty sure they worked on it virtually every day since mid-late 2013.

GT was the personal pet project of Raj Nair while he was running global product and the PDC. You can tell these people you know that's how that happened.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Ford doesn't actually build it in one of their plants? Wow, didn't know that. Got to admit, a little disappointed. Still an amazing car.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
How many have now rolled off the line and are either in or ready to be handed to their owners?

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member
Neither was the original though, so feels about the same to me

1486274867845.jpg

Neither was the Gen2 FordGT. it was built by Saleen for FoMoCo.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
thats what a true Super car should look like! wow BJ on wheels.....

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ford doesn't actually build it in one of their plants? Wow, didn't know that. Got to admit, a little disappointed. Still an amazing car.

The GT4 Mustang is the nastiest road race Mustang Ford has done to date. Guess who builds that one too?

MFE

Established Member
Funny. I'll make sure all the guys working on it in Dearborn know they didn't actually work on it. "Deeply involved in design." :rolleyes: That's weird, because basically everyone that was "deeply involved in the design" of this car lives right around me, and they are all pretty sure they worked on it virtually every day since mid-late 2013.

GT was the personal pet project of Raj Nair while he was running global product and the PDC. You can tell these people you know that's how that happened.

Do you live in Detroit suburbs, or Toronto suburbs, and how much of their time was spent stateside, vs Canada?

wheelhopper

Established Member
I don't care who builds it. It is a bad ass car.

There was 2 at VIR a couple weekends ago. The owners rented the track for Friday run sessions By time I got there they were loaded up in a semi. The side of the truck was open and I could see them loaded up. My buddy got to see them run. The owners would take turns driving the cars around. They were excited cause they were turning 2.09's. That can be done in a stock Mustang. One of them spun on track and never went out again. They could have benefited greatly from a little instruction. Those GT's should have been well below the 2 second mark.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Do you live in Detroit suburbs, or Toronto suburbs, and how much of their time was spent stateside, vs Canada?

I live in Detroit suburbs, and virtually all of their time was spent in Dearborn in the basement of the PDC. Yes, MM did/does an exorbitant amount of work on the car (which is both good and bad), but I've been in the GT skunkworks many times and there were people buried in there working nonstop since late 13.

Getting a car like GT built outside of the typical bullshit just takes a PD boss willing to risk his career for it (check) and the Ford family saying "yes please" (check). Not just a matter of who you have doing the work. Raj was much more tolerant of risk than the standard PD boss. His predecessor would have never done this program, let alone had his hands all over it on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread