Ford GT Pump in 98 cobra..couple questions?

turboffr

Established Member
I'm adding a Vortech S-Trim to my 98 cobra and have a few questions regarding fuel pump setup for the 98 cobra. I've done a lot of searching but want to validate with the experts.....

1.) Is the 98 cobra pump basket the same as 99+ (I see that the 99+ basket will fit the Ford GT pump and want to know if it will fit in mine).

2.) Any issues with running a returnless pump with the 98 return style style setup. I don't think I have a FPDM, but the car does have dual voltage to the pump.

3.) How much RWHP will the GT pump support? I'm planning on 450ish.

4.) Drill the basket is suggested with this pump, correct?

Thanks guys.

F8L BYT

Established Member
I'm adding a Vortech S-Trim to my 98 cobra and have a few questions regarding fuel pump setup for the 98 cobra. I've done a lot of searching but want to validate with the experts.....

1.) Is the 98 cobra pump basket the same as 99+ (I see that the 99+ basket will fit the Ford GT pump and want to know if it will fit in mine).

2.) Any issues with running a returnless pump with the 98 return style style setup. I don't think I have a FPDM, but the car does have dual voltage to the pump.

Thanks guys.

The 98 isnt return style, its returnless. Only 97 had a return style. Our 98' are the bastard year for fuel. I have done some researching as well and supposedly a ford gt or navigator pump will drop right in but you need to drill holes in the bottom of the basket to allow more fuel to flow through

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is it a deal where the Cobras had the returnless and the GT's had the return style? I had a 98 GT and it had the return style fuel system.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
The 98 isnt return style, its returnless. Only 97 had a return style. Our 98' are the bastard year for fuel. I have done some researching as well and supposedly a ford gt or navigator pump will drop right in but you need to drill holes in the bottom of the basket to allow more fuel to flow through

This is incorrect information. 96-98 are all return style. The difference is that the 98's had a variable voltage pump so it wouldn't run full bore all the time. 98's are bastard childs because they were a different tank than all the rest of the years, and the fact that they used a variable pump similar to a returnless but without a FPDM.

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member

Thanks guys.

The GT pump will physically fit, and work, but it bleeds off pressure at the top of the basket and will lean the motor out.

I dont have any experience with the navi pump, but the gt pump will lose pressure in the upper rpm. It is still return style however.

This is incorrect information. 96-98 are all return style. The difference is that the 98's had a variable voltage pump so it wouldn't run full bore all the time. 98's are bastard childs because they were a different tank than all the rest of the years, and the fact that they used a variable pump similar to a returnless but without a FPDM.

I didnt know the bit about the FPDM. Does it matter what size pumps we have then if there is no FPDM? Say for instance could I ditch my 03/04 pumps for GT pumps without needing to worry about the wiring?

You can modify a stock 03/04 hat to work with your return line, or you could run your return into the filler tube. You will also need to take the tray out of the bottom of the tank, but be careful the tank is very sharp. The 03/04 hat with factory pumps runs just fine with your stock system. Downside is you will want to keep more fuel in the tank since they don't sit in a basket. I have been running this way for nearly a year with no issues.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
From everything that I have read and heard, you aren't supposed to use a returnless pump in a return setup for some reason.. But maybe the fact that it's a variable voltage it'll be different and less hard on the pump since it won't be running full bore all the time.. I'm not 100% on how the 98's work but I know that they are return style.. I have a very late built 98 and I have a return style on my car..

01yellercobra

Established Member
The GT pump will physically fit, and work, but it bleeds off pressure at the top of the basket and will lean the motor out.

I dont have any experience with the navi pump, but the gt pump will lose pressure in the upper rpm. It is still return style however.

The GT pump is not a return style pump. It's made for returnless systems. It doesn't have a way to bleed pressure off the pump itself. The part that bleeds off the pressure is the PPRV. Which most people delete when swapping over to the GT or Focus pumps.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I think the most commonly used pump for the 98's is the aviator pump with a drilled basket.. I would just go this route and be done.. Oh and probably though a 255 inline pump on there as well just to be safe..

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member
The GT pump is not a return style pump. It's made for returnless systems. It doesn't have a way to bleed pressure off the pump itself. The part that bleeds off the pressure is the PPRV. Which most people delete when swapping over to the GT or Focus pumps.

I meant while being used in the factory basket, it physically fits, but the pump outlet does not mate with the hats feed line and bleeds pressure in that sense.

harvboi05

Established Member
im running twin GT pumps in a forehat in my 98 tank, returned, and the stock two speed setup. no problems yet. got 5k hard miles on the setup.

wally wont fit in the stock hat, a single GT pump will. 98's arent variable speed setups, theyre a two speed setup. run a GT/aviator/focus pump in a 98 car. think of it as the same physical setup as a 99-04 GT but with a return line. the only thing bastard about a 98 car is the wiring speed setup.

edit:
also, dont drill the basket, as it null and voids the baffle-system the bucket is designed for and youll run into the whole lean spikes when launching in low fuel conditions like i have (i have an 03 tank to swap into my car.)

Last edited:

turboffr

Established Member
im running twin GT pumps in a forehat in my 98 tank, returned, and the stock two speed setup. no problems yet. got 5k hard miles on the setup.

wally wont fit in the stock hat, a single GT pump will. 98's arent variable speed setups, theyre a two speed setup. run a GT/aviator/focus pump in a 98 car. think of it as the same physical setup as a 99-04 GT but with a return line. the only thing bastard about a 98 car is the wiring speed setup.

edit:
also, dont drill the basket, as it null and voids the baffle-system the bucket is designed for and youll run into the whole lean spikes when launching in low fuel conditions like i have (i have an 03 tank to swap into my car.)

this is why I'm confused. some say don't drill the basket, others say if you don't it will be sucked dry (with Aviatir/GT/Focus or walbro). Some say run a walbro, don't run a walbro. seems there is no right answer here :shrug:

For those of you who have modified the basket to use a 255 in tank pump......

I actually just bought a used 98 cobra tank to replace my dented one, and low and behold, the basket was modified to fit a walbro gss307. Looks pretty good in there. They also replaced the line from the pump to hat with 3/8" fuel line, put a screw in the plastic tower that the other inlet fitting sits on, and cut a hole at the bottom of the basket directly under the pump inlet (roughly the same size as inlet - about the size of a quarter). No sock was on the pump. Is this the proper way to setup a basket for a 255 pump?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread