ford gt engine vs. gt500 engine

svtseeker

Established Member
the new gt500 is rated at 540hp and the ford gt was rated at 550hp. if there is only 10hp difference between the two why do people swap the ford gt cams into their gt500? wouldn't it only be a few hp difference?(wouldn't be worth all the work to me) other than the aluminum block and different cams what is different between the two motors.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the GT 550 was underrated. also the FORD GT cams in a GT500 with a tune has seen 20-30HP not much for the price of the install. but if building from scratch it would be better to go with the GT cams

Leonard 95

Established Member
I don't know all the differences, but the gt has dual injector, aluminum block, same heads, gt cams. The one ford gt that came in the shop for some work, I drove it and it seemed like it had more boost, it was completely stock and was getting around 12-13 pounds pretty easy.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
For price difference

The Ford GT has an 2.3L whipple, alluminum block, better cams, Dual injectors, larger TB, dry sump oiling system, better rods, and speacial oil squirtes that helped cool the pistons(also note that this crate motor can not be used unless the block is moddified for a standard starter unless you are using the transaxle the Ford GT uses).

Now for power

The ford gt was underated as it usually made 545-560rwhp.. Most of that was from the blower and like others stated it made 12#s of boost. The Ford GT cams are not agressive at all.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
For price difference

The Ford GT has an 2.3L whipple, alluminum block, better cams, Dual injectors, larger TB, dry sump oiling system, better rods, and speacial oil squirtes that helped cool the pistons(also note that this crate motor can not be used unless the block is moddified for a standard starter unless you are using the transaxle the Ford GT uses).

Now for power

The ford gt was underated as it usually made 545-560rwhp.. Most of that was from the blower and like others stated it made 12#s of boost. The Ford GT cams are not agressive at all.

thanks!

you cannot compare rwhp on these two models. you have to compare crank horsepower, just too many variables. the biggest being the efficiency of the rear mounted trans-axle. i have heard estimates of 7-11% loss, which is a huge variance in itself compared to the 15% loss of the gt500.

svtseeker

Established Member
wow, i didn't realize there was so many differences(definately didn't know they had a 2.3 whipple), thanks for clearing up all the questions i had. no wonder the ford gt is such an awesome supercar!!

Users who are viewing this thread