Ford GT Disappointing Finish at 12 Hours of Sebring

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
FWIW, all the manufacturers bitched to high heaven and IMSA broke its own rule on BoP adjustments within 7 days of a race and saddled GT with 15 kg and reduced boost at all rpms between 2k - 7200 rpm today. Soon we will see what the naturally aspirated Ford V6 can do! :lol1: Corvette dropped 10 kg and got a 0.4 mm air restrictor increase. Bailouts remain GM's specialty.

imsa_28855958_1280.jpg

Doesn't take a genius to look at that pic and figure out how the GT is getting through the air so much easier than these fat behemoths.

Holy crap. I had no idea the car sat that low. Man, that car is just bad ass... complain all you want, it's quite a piece of work, as it's proving.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
DBK, the livery on the Ford GT is atrocious, why oh why did that chose it?

Please tell me they will change it next season! A seriously boring design that doesnt make the car stand out. It looks bad ass, but the paint job is shit.
Its like putting on a detective suit on a Victoria Secret Model. :nonono:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
It's not my favorite but it's ok.

Looks best from above because you see the distinct sections of the car.

ford-gt-racer-static-overhead1-600-001.jpg

kino

Established Member
It's not my favorite but it's ok.

Looks best from above because you see the distinct sections of the car.

ford-gt-racer-static-overhead1-600-001.jpg

I actually like the racing livery. I wonder if FORD will offer a racing livery as a new heritage edition option. If so that would be the ticket for a Ford fan collector.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
What are the restrictions on the GT350r's running in the GS class for the Continental Challenge. They are really not competitive. I've watched two races and the GT350's got their asses kicked in both races.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
^ Was it a Watkins Glen Race?
I saw that and white/green stripe team was having issues getting the front left wheel off. I think the GT350R-Cs ended up 4th and 5th. 123 all went to the Cayman. I have a feeling Porsche has a lot more money vested into that series then Ford. Also, are the Mustangs even backed by Ford? I know they are canadian based efforts (multimatic and another racing team based in toronto).

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
^ Was it a Watkins Glen Race?
I saw that and white/green stripe team was having issues getting the front left wheel off. I think the GT350R-Cs ended up 4th and 5th. 123 all went to the Cayman. I have a feeling Porsche has a lot more money vested into that series then Ford. Also, are the Mustangs even backed by Ford? I know they are canadian based efforts (multimatic and another racing team based in toronto).

That's the race I saw. The mutlimatic car had the freshest tires yet was falling back a second a lap. There was a race earlier in the year with a very simliar outcome, the white GT350 had the freshest tires and couldn't keep up and was getting gapped each lap. I think it has everything to do with "fairness" and not any shortcomings of the car.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I had to go back and look, but GT350 won Daytona, and was 2nd at Sebring. I don't pay as much attention to CTSC BoP but the GT350-RC was 600 lbs heavier than the Cayman prior to this weekend. Porsche got 100 lbs clipped on.

CTSC pole-sitter Scott Maxwell frustrated by emphasis on BoP: “like finding mediocrity and rewarding it”

Posted on July 8, 2016 by Stephanie Wallcraft

Scott Maxwell CTMP Multimatic

Photo by Jake Galstad/LAT USA courtesy of IMSA

It was another pole position today for Toronto’s Scott Maxwell in qualifying for tomorrow’s Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge race at his home track, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. And whether the Ford Shelby GT350R-C’s pole will give way to a win by a Porsche Cayman GT4, as has been the trend of late, remains to be seen, particularly given that the Porsches were hit by a balance of performance adjustment to the tune of 100 lbs of ballast for this weekend.

After qualifying, whether that change will be enough to make a difference was on Maxwell’s mind.

“A hundred pounds on them helps us, but they had to do something,” Maxwell told RacingNorth. “That car is 600 pounds lighter than us, so now we’re only 500 pounds heavier.

“I don’t think it’s enough,” he added with a shrug. “They probably think it’s too much.”

Just as pertinently, Maxwell was vocal in expressing frustration that balance of performance continues to be an ongoing discussion at all.

“Unfortunately, you talk more about BoP now than you do about racing,” he said. “They’ve got to sort that all out – not just in our series, and not just in IMSA. In racing in general, BoP has become the word. It’s frustrating.”

Maxwell outlines his view of BoP as being a form of penalty for doing well in the sport.

“You get penalized for building good cars and building them to the rules,” he said. “BoP is like finding mediocrity and rewarding that.

“I’m a little frustrated by it, and I think if you ask across the racing community and in the paddock everybody is getting a little sick of talking about BoP.”

As much as the sentiment may ring true, BoP is bound to be an ongoing hot topic as the CTSC field rolls to the green flag tomorrow afternoon. The race — which will see Maxwell and fellow Canadian Daniel Burkett lead the field to the line — gets under way at 12:25 PM.

FWIW - Scott and Billy Johnson are doing a lot of testing on Ford production stuff these days. They are both really good. Billy is definitely the best driver in CTSC. When he was in the GT at Le Mans, for a minute there he held the record for fastest lap for a GTE car.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The GT350-RC won at Mosport on Saturday.

The Glen was from a few weeks back, not live. So the GT350 bounced back this past weekend. What restrictions are placed on the GT350 as in theory it should pull hard on the Caymans on the street and it doesn't. I know the boss 302's had intake restrictors.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
The Glen was from a few weeks back, not live. So the GT350 bounced back this past weekend. What restrictions are placed on the GT350 as in theory it should pull hard on the Caymans on the street and it doesn't. I know the boss 302's had intake restrictors.

I know, I was at both. It's impossible to know exactly what kind of power the cars are making because they just adjust the air intake restrictor size on N/A cars depending on how fast or slow they are. GT350-RC currently has a 58.0 mm restrictor, whatever that's worth. Cayman is 2940 lbs , RC is 3420.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Wow, three wins in a row for Ford GT. Looks like that quip about running the 3.5 N/A may not be too far off after the next round of BoP hits.

scott_0

Established Member
Wow, three wins in a row for Ford GT. Looks like that quip about running the 3.5 N/A may not be too far off after the next round of BoP hits.
4 wins in a row counting Lemans

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread