Ford GT cams into 03 Cobra

rezcobra

Established Member
I read somewhere in one of these forums about using the 5.4 S/C Ford GT camshafts in the 4.6 03/04 Cobra engines. Did a search and couldn't find anything. The person posting said it would gain hp without the rough idle of aftermarket cam kits and that you could run it with stock springs thereby eliminating any cam kits. I just had a rebuilt engine installed. The rebuilt Ford sells with a 75,000 mile warrenty. So I'm assuming once I do this swap my warrenty is gone. Anyone have the info on the 5.4 to 4.6 cams swap and how much of a benefit would it be to the 4.6?

rezcobra

Established Member
www.modularfords.com has alot of info on it. $2500-$3K for very little hp gain. Plus yes you would lose your warranty.

I figured I would lose my warrenty once the engine is opened up and modded. Do you have a write up on your car. How do you like the 2.8 Kenne Bell? If I'm going to lose my warrenty that would be the way to do it!!!

GodStang

Established Member
I figured I would lose my warrenty once the engine is opened up and modded. Do you have a write up on your car. How do you like the 2.8 Kenne Bell? If I'm going to lose my warrenty that would be the way to do it!!!

HAHA thats why I did it. When my engine blew at 15K miles they offered to replace mine for another stock one for $7K. I was like you did not cover one warranty why would I buy another with a warranty that again you would not cover.

I like the 2.8L. Its a good blower. The inlet plenum is WAY TOO SMALL. Other than that I have enjoyed it. I have no write up but can pm you if you want details.

rezcobra

Established Member
HAHA thats why I did it. When my engine blew at 15K miles they offered to replace mine for another stock one for $7K. I was like you did not cover one warranty why would I buy another with a warranty that again you would not cover.

I like the 2.8L. Its a good blower. The inlet plenum is WAY TOO SMALL. Other than that I have enjoyed it. I have no write up but can pm you if you want details.

Thanks, i will have to do that. This engine is running better than the new one used to run. I kept it pretty stock but I'm thinking of modding this one to the max now that there are a lot of Shelbys and Z06s eating my lunch!!! Can't believe how many current run Z06's are running around in PHX, AZ.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
Don't do it! Huge waste of money, IMO.
Adding more boost and timing is the most cost effective power mod you can do on these cars.

04torchred

Established Member
The Ford GT cams are under $500 for just the sticks. Install cost is what you are factoring in to get $2000 aren't you Godstang...?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Why would you buy the Ford GT part number when the GT500 cams are exactly the same and cost quite a bit less?

They have different part numbers so GT owners don't get pissed that their 150K baby shares some pieces with the 50K GT500.

Agreed about cams being a bad investment on these cars unless you want a max effort 4.6. Get more boost or a bigger blower and you'll get much better bang for the buck.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Thanks, i will have to do that. This engine is running better than the new one used to run. I kept it pretty stock but I'm thinking of modding this one to the max now that there are a lot of Shelbys and Z06s eating my lunch!!! Can't believe how many current run Z06's are running around in PHX, AZ.

Odd... I have yet to run into a C6 Z, i've seen a few GT500's but only a couple of Z06's if that. Now C6's are a different story, they are all over, but the Z06's are few and far between from what i've seen.

Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places :shrug:

GodStang

Established Member
The Ford GT cams are under $500 for just the sticks. Install cost is what you are factoring in to get $2000 aren't you Godstang...?

Yes that is correct. The Ford GT cams run you right at $500. You have to remove alot to swap the cams. The average install price I have seen is $2000-$2500 from good shops which would put your total investment at around $3K. If your engine is already out then fine thats another story.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Does anyone sell the revised January 05 heads fully assembled with Ford GT/GT 500 cams? Or is it more of find all the parts and put it together kind of deal.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
Why would you buy the Ford GT part number when the GT500 cams are exactly the same and cost quite a bit less?

They have different part numbers so GT owners don't get pissed that their 150K baby shares some pieces with the 50K GT500.

Agreed about cams being a bad investment on these cars unless you want a max effort 4.6. Get more boost or a bigger blower and you'll get much better bang for the buck.

This is wrong. 03-04 cobra cams are same as gt500 cams
ford gt cams are different, mainly more lift, duaration isn't much different.

Gt500's have ford gt heads they do not have ford gt cams.
Also note that if you are going to spend the money, comp stage 1 cams and crower stage 2 cams(similar) have more lift and duration that ford gt cams with only slight more driveability issues. Custom cams would probably be the best choice for some one putting the money down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread