Ford GT block built in MM&FF

Ryushin

Established Member
In the last two issues of MM&FF, they built a Ford GT block using GT500 heads. They also hooked up the GT500 and KB superchargers. They built it to handle a 1000HP and they were calling it their GT1000 engine.

I'm very partial to the Ford GT block and have been told it will take a LOT of work to make it work in our cars.

After looking at their setup, I don't see why this won't work in our cars. Can someone explain to me if this will work in our cars or not. The previous reasons I was told that I would have to custom fabricate a intake manifold but it seems like they used an off the shelf part for that in this build.

Please, can someone wiser then myself in the mod motors please give me some insight.

GodStang

Established Member
Its not alot of work but does take some. Remember the GT block is Dry sump so you really need to get it set up for wet sump. There is a company that sells just the block already setup for wet sump. Its only $3799 + shipping. Then depending on what you are putting on the top you have to get a custom lower intake. Also most likely custom exhaust and hood depending on what you are running up top. Also you have to get a braket setup for the starter since the starter on the GT is on the Transaxle. It can be done. All this to save a few lbs over the GT500 block that is $500.

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
Well, Ford sells the block in both wet and dry sump. The Ford GT block also has oil squirters. Exhaust probably won't be a problem since it's using GT500 heads. The aluminum block should also be easier to cool. If they put it in the Ford GT then it's probably Ford's best block yet. I don't know how it compares to the Teksid block though.

metaman

Established Member
[
QUOTE=GodStang;8369730]Its not alot of work but does take some. Remember the GT block is Dry sump so you really need to get it set up for wet sump. There is a company that sells just the block already setup for wet sump. Its only $3799 + shipping. Then depending on what you are putting on the top you have to get a custom lower intake. Also most likely custom exhaust and hood depending on what you are running up top. Also you have to get a braket setup for the starter since the starter on the GT is on the Transaxle. It can be done. All this to save a few lbs over the GT500 block that is $500.

[/QUOTE]

Why a custom lower intake? Just use a GT500 Lower intake and all of the GT500 belts and pulley set up.

GodStang

Established Member
Why a custom lower intake? Just use a GT500 Lower intake and all of the GT500 belts and pulley set up.

The reason I said custom lower, since we are in the terminator section, is that I thought he wanted to use the factory eaton or a TS that he may already have. I am not 100% on this but I think the GT500 blower base and Cobra Blower base are a little different. Now if he does not already have a blower to use then ya use the GT bottom and all the GT500 upper stuff or use a Kenne Bell/Whipple from a GT500 and should work fine.

As far as exhaust again I was going with the assumption that its going in a terminator so the heads would be higher and further apart so you MAY have to get longer headers to make the correct turn and have a wider H/X-pipe to make up for the wider block.

Now if you are going turbo then a lot of things I said above would change.

Also this is not me saying it but one of the big time engine builders (can not remember which one) claimed that the Tek-sid being the best 4.6L is not true. He claims that most of his engines that have blown have been Tek-sid. I have no idea on this since I have never dealt with the Tek-sid block.

Also remember the GT was designed what 5 or 6 years man that old technology. I am waiting for the Coyote to come out and the 6.2L. Those should be fun!!

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
I was planning on buying a whipple and such for the engine. I wasn't planning on using anything that is on my 4.6 engine. Heck, I'm going to pull the 4.6 and put it into a '68 Eleanor that I will be building.

GodStang

Established Member
I was planning on buying a whipple and such for the engine. I wasn't planning on using anything that is on my 4.6 engine. Heck, I'm going to pull the 4.6 and put it into a '68 Eleanor that I will be building.

Then ya it should not be that bad. GT bottom end and FR500 top end with a Whipple for a GT500. Keep us updated if you do do this. Very neat project.

Users who are viewing this thread