Ford GT: 11.2 @ 131

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Originally posted by Aniversarysnake
ok, ok, maybe I am a noob here, but what is the difference between the roots type and the twin screw? sorry to hijack the thread too.

JON

Some of the twin screw S/Cers (such as the one in the Ford GT) look a lot like the roots type ones. But the difference between the two are in the internal rotors. They both have two rotors inside that force air into the intake manifold. However, the lobes of the rotors on the twin screw S/cer are shaped very differently than the internal lobes of the roots type S/Cers.

The rotor lobes of the twin screw are shaped like giant threads on a big wood screw, and they act to compress the air as they force it into the intake manifold. The rotor lobes of the roots type S/Cers are shaped more like paddles. And it's because of this design difference that the twin screw S/cer is more efficient, makes power over a broader RPM range, and makes less heat than the roots type S/Cer does.

If you have more questions about this, then feel free to shoot me a PM if you like. And BTW, in response to the main part of this thread, let me add that any mid-engine car that has a well designed suspension system is going to out-handle a front engine car like the Corvette hands down. And that's because of the better weight distribution of the mid-engine design. This is why you would be able to throw a Ford GT into the turns faster than you would a Corvette or a Dodge Viper (or a rear engine car like the Porsche for that matter).

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Nice, thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by BillyGman
Some of the twin screw S/Cers (such as the one in the Ford GT) look a lot like the roots type ones. But the difference between the two are in the internal rotors. They both have two rotors inside that force air into the intake manifold. However, the lobes of the rotors on the twin screw S/cer are shaped very differently than the internal lobes of the roots type S/Cers.

The rotor lobes of the twin screw are shaped like giant threads on a big wood screw, and they act to compress the air as they force it into the intake manifold. The rotor lobes of the roots type S/Cers are shaped more like paddles. And it's because of this design difference that the twin screw S/cer is more efficient, makes power over a broader RPM range, and makes less heat than the roots type S/Cer does.

If you have more questions about this, then feel free to shoot me a PM if you like. And BTW, in response to the main part of this thread, let me add that any mid-engine car that has a well designed suspension system is going to out-handle a front engine car like the Corvette hands down. And that's because of the better weight distribution of the mid-engine design. This is why you would be able to throw a Ford GT into the turns faster than you would a Corvette or a Dodge Viper (or a rear engine car like the Porsche for that matter).

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Gee, take a guess as to which one was beaten with the ugly stick (Hint: Baby fishmouth)

112_0410_speed0l_l.jpg

That was an attractive body style.... for 1965. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread