Ford going non-union

rezcobra

Established Member
CNN reported Ford will offering every Ford UAW worker a buyout package and resume business non-union. Big move and could save Ford billions and even lower prices on vehicles. If it works out fine, watch GM follow suit. :beer:

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
rezcobra said:
CNN reported Ford will offering every Ford UAW worker a buyout package and resume business non-union. Big move and could save Ford billions and even lower prices on vehicles. If it works out fine, watch GM follow suit. :beer:

The time of the Union is over...SEE DELPHI

TORQUERULES

Established Member
This works for Toyota and their US employees are very happy. Unions are killing a lot of US companies with unrealistic demands. Don't get me wrong, unions have a purpose and are good if they realize they must work with the company so that both can benefit. What use is a union if there is no company to work for?

I hope this works for Ford.

SVT04

Established Member
I hope that if it happens that the workers do not eventually lose all that they gained in terms of health and safety,along with being treated fairly as a human being and not just a sweat shop slave or a tool to make the company owners rich. I hope they don't lose the right to a safe workplace and the ability to earn a living which will give their family a decent standard of living.

I hope that they will have someone to support them if they are harrassed at work by someone in a position of authority who doesn't like them.....

There is a little more to the Union question than just wages. No one has ever become rich working for wages. The unions have given a lot of people more than just wages. On the other side I am sure you can find plenty of company executives and shareholders who have become rich on the toils of the wage earners.

I hope all of what was gained (for everyone even non-union people) through negotiation and hard work will not be lost......:burnout:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
We already have the Dept of Labor, OSHA, EPA and pretty much ever other gov't agency looking out for workers.

No need for unions anymore. All they do is lower productivity and cost money.

It'll be very hard for Ford to just go non-union in one giant move. They probably would go plant to plant over time.

Look at the white collar workforce at ford. They are gonna get their wages reduced/fired/slashed benefit. They don't have a cushy union to fall back on, just like most American workers.

Time to join the club!!!!!!

Last edited:

YELOSNK

Established Member
I've known this was going to go on for quite some time, but I am not allowed to pass on things I learn from my dad until they are made public. He explained the situation to me and I fully agree with Ford's decision.

TORQUERULES said:
I hope this works for Ford.

The union problem is considered to be one of the biggest (probably 2nd biggest) things holding Ford back atm. Obviously soiled reputation among the car buyers market is #1.

GTSpartan said:
Look at the white collar workforce at ford. They are gonna get their wages reduced/fired/slashed benefit. They don't have a cushy union to fall back on, just like most American workers.

Has been going on for quite some time, actually; I would say since '01-'02

Mr. Mach-ete said:
Does this mean the cost of a new car will drop drastically?

No. For the most part it simply means Ford won't go bankrupt and will hopefully be able to get back on its feet.

Last edited:

miniSHO

Established Member
SVT04 said:
I hope that if it happens that the workers do not eventually lose all that they gained in terms of health and safety,along with being treated fairly as a human being and not just a sweat shop slave or a tool to make the company owners rich. I hope they don't lose the right to a safe workplace and the ability to earn a living which will give their family a decent standard of living.

I hope that they will have someone to support them if they are harrassed at work by someone in a position of authority who doesn't like them.....

There is a little more to the Union question than just wages. No one has ever become rich working for wages. The unions have given a lot of people more than just wages. On the other side I am sure you can find plenty of company executives and shareholders who have become rich on the toils of the wage earners.

I hope all of what was gained (for everyone even non-union people) through negotiation and hard work will not be lost......:burnout:

Everyone else in this country that works for a living and is non-union has experienced or delt with some of the issues you speak about, and we deal with it on our own, and we make it through somehow. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
There's only one BIG fly in the pie. The Japanese firms (like Toyota) have a history of paternalism with their employees, thus the employees feel loyalty to the company and no union is needed. Unfortunately, the "Big 3" chose adversarial management-employee relations, resulting in unions and antagonism. Doing away with the unions will not change the attitudes that many of the Big 3 managers have to workers.

As a manufacturing consultant, last year I worked with several Tier 1 auto suppliers who are struggling. They wanted to mimic Toyota, and implement "autonomous work teams". That's a TPS (Toyota Production System) approach where worker teams design their own workspace and manage staffing to meet quality and productivity goals. Without exception, the American manufacturers wanted to call the teams "autonomous", but have engineers design the work space and regulate who would be team captains. In short, they wanted to "talk the talk" without "walking the walk". They were doomed to failure.

In every case where we were allowed to really involve the workers in the decision-making progress, quality and productivity went up and costs went down. The American worker is NOT a stupid goon - he/she is a person like you or I. If treated fairly, most respond fairly.

Black3KGT

SECURITY
Established Member
I hope this was a good move, I think it is but I am going to watch it play it out before I say its a good thing.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Thats why there are very few Union Coal mines. I had many friends who worked at a local coal company for many years. Union came in and unionized them. First thing to go was their pay. Most lost 50% of their every two week earnings, but then the union got their cut out of what was left. Most went to work for other coal companies that were non-union just to get their wages back up.

I hope this works for Ford and puts them back on the right track. We sure don't want to see them going by the wayside.

Venom_Cobra

Venom_Cobra
Established Member
thank god the unions have served there purpse bythe mid 20th century. Good ridens they were pricing American workers out of their jobs

Users who are viewing this thread