Ford ESP (warranty)

a64armt

Established Member
I have a 02 FSVT with the Extra Care package up to 100,000 miles. The vehicle only has 73k. No mods except for a small Summit Racing sticker (adds 5 hp).

I have recently been hearing the "bearings in a can" noise from the transmission when the car is cold. I have taken it to the dealership and it has been there for 1 week. They finally call me and tell me this.

They have checked the vehicle out and the mechanic may have heard the noise once or twice. They are aware of the TSB on the vehicle and after they have called Ford for advice they recommend the Clutch, throwout bearing, clutch slave cylinder, and rear main seal all be replaced. This will not be covered under warranty and would cost me over $1,100. I have declined and asked them to make these statements in the invoice and I will pick the car up.

I called Ford ESP a few weeks ago and they informed me that the throwout bearing was covered under the warranty.

What should I do. I cannot stand this dealership and their service department (J.C. Lewis Ford in Savannah GA). There is but one other dealership that can perform SVT warranty work and they are over an hour away. I may call Ford ESP with the invoice and speak to them or call the other dealership and talk to them.

Advice?

Thanks,
Vincent

Primaris

Established Member
If they won't pay for it, I'd keep using it till the clutch starts to slip. Then I would replace the clutch. They are not talking about changing the flywheel they are not doing the TSB anyways.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Like Primaris said the TSB is for flywheel and all so they don't even know what they are talking about.

I can tell you that the TSB only applied to the original 3-36 of the warranty and it is not covered under any extended warranties even from Ford.

Clutches are normally only covered under the first 12-12 so they did extend it by two years a 24,000 miles.

Mine makes the noise occasionally (like twice ever) but it's still going fine at 65000 on the original setup.

The only way to get it covered under the extended warranty would be if the flywheel failed and even then they probably would not perform the TSB for that repair.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
a64armt said:
I have a 02 FSVT with the Extra Care package up to 100,000 miles. The vehicle only has 73k. No mods except for a small Summit Racing sticker (adds 5 hp).

Vincent

Damn, I've got a couple "Powerworks" stickers in my desk, I wonder what one of those would do for my car :rockon: they have to be worth 30-40 hp easy. :coolman:

a64armt

Established Member
Like Primaris said the TSB is for flywheel and all so they don't even know what they are talking about.

I can tell you that the TSB only applied to the original 3-36 of the warranty and it is not covered under any extended warranties even from Ford.

Clutches are normally only covered under the first 12-12 so they did extend it by two years a 24,000 miles.

Mine makes the noise occasionally (like twice ever) but it's still going fine at 65000 on the original setup.

The only way to get it covered under the extended warranty would be if the flywheel failed and even then they probably would not perform the TSB for that repair.

I thought the TSB was merely a reference. The clutch itself isn't worn or slipping. Where is the noise being generated?

I called the ESP folks today and eventually I was given the number to the group that approves the ESP claims. Even the rep I spoke with said it was hard to say the repair was not covered. He searched the system and the dealership never submited a request or inquiry on the issue (they are supposed open a "ticket" on every request). They recommended I call the dealer and find out why they never made a request, the dealer rep stated they used the Oasis system. The ESP rep was surprised. I am waiting for a call back.

Damn, I've got a couple "Powerworks" stickers in my desk, I wonder what one of those would do for my car they have to be worth 30-40 hp easy.

I would say so! I don't know if I would want to stage up against you!

Vincent

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Heres all the gory details.

FORD: 2002-2004 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 04-12-02 to update the service procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2004 SVT Focus vehicles may exhibit premature clutch wear, or a clunking and rattling noise in the transaxle, mainly at idle in neutral. The noise can typically be reduced by fully depressing the clutch pedal. The premature clutch wear or noise may be caused by the dual mass flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate or by transaxle alignment.

ACTION:
Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Check transaxle fluid level. If low, fill to correct level and retest for noise and proper clutch operation. If noise is still present or clutch is not operating properly proceed to Step 2.
Remove the transaxle. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-03C: Manual Transaxle/Transmission - MT285; Removal.
Inspect the clutch slave cylinder assembly as follows:
Inspect for leaks.
Rotate the outer race, while applying pressure and check for roughness.
Inspect for any surface scoring or burrs that may impede the sliding motion of the clutch release hub and bearing. Scoring or burrs should be polished off with a fine grade of emery paper.
Replace the clutch slave cylinder if necessary. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-02B: Clutch Controls - MT285/MTX75 Transaxle - Clutch Slave Cylinder.
Inspect the transaxle input shaft for damage, spline wear, burrs or rough surfaces. Scoring or burrs should be polished off with a fine grade of emery paper. Replace the transaxle if the input shaft is damaged and cannot be repaired.
NOTE: IT IS NORMAL FOR THE INPUT SHAFT TO APPEAR POLISHED WHERE THE CLUTCH HUB SEATS, NO ACTION IS REQUIRED UNLESS THE SPLINES ARE DAMAGED OR WORN.

Remove the clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-01C; Clutch - MT285 Transaxle - Removal and Installation - Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate.
Inspect the rear face of the engine block as follows:
Ensure that the two (2) required engine dowel pins are installed and are not damaged. If the dowel pins are missing or damaged replace as required (Figure 1).
Inspect the corresponding dowel pin holes on the transaxle. It is acceptable for the dowel pin holes to bear slight witness marks from a tight fitting dowel. However, if the holes are elongated then they must be measured. If elongation is greater than 0.040" (1.02 mm) out-of-round replace the transaxle.
Inspect the upper and lower separator plates for damage or warping. Replace if needed (Figure 1).
Inspect the crankshaft flange and flywheel mating surface for residual thread locking compound or rust. Clean as necessary (Figure 1).

Figure 1 - Article 04-21-19

Install the following new revised components:
NOTE: THE REVISED FLYWHEEL, CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PRODUCTION LEVEL CLUTCH COMPONENTS. DO NOT INTERCHANGE OR MIX.

Revised dual mass flywheel and new flywheel retaining bolts. Torque bolts in sequence to 83 lb-ft (112 N-m) (Figure 2).
Revised pressure plate and clutch disc, and new clutch pressure plate retaining bolts. Ensure the clutch disc is properly installed with "TRANS SIDE" label facing the pressure plate. Tighten pressure plate bolts two (2) turns at a time in sequence and torque to 21 lb-ft (29 N-m) (Figure 3).

Figure 2 - Article 04-21-19

Figure 3 - Article 04-21-19

Install transaxle. Torque the transaxle bolts in sequence to 35 lb-ft (48 N-m) to ensure proper transaxle to engine block alignment (Figure 4). Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 308-03C; Manual Transaxle/Transmission - MT285 - Installation.

Figure 4 - Article 04-21-19

NOTE: THE TRANSAXLE BOLTS COME IN FOUR (4) UNIQUE LENGTHS AND WILL FIT INTO ANY OF THE THROUGH HOLES OF THE TRANSAXLE TO ENGINE BLOCK. IT IS CRITICAL THAT THE PROPER LENGTH BOLT IS INSTALLED INTO ITS PROPER MATING HOLE (FIGURE 5).

Figure 5 - Article 04-21-19

PART NUMBER PART NAME
2M5Z-7002-BD Transaxle
2M5Z-7A564-AA Slave Cylinder
4M5Z-7550-AA Clutch Disk
4M5Z-7563-AA Pressure Plate
3S4Z-6477-AA Flywheel
W702426-S303 Bolt - Pressure Plate
W707339-S430 Bolt - Flywheel
W701350-S309 Dowel Pins

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7563 D4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2004 Ford Motor Company

a64armt

Established Member
Update!

Well, I contacted the ESP folks right after picking up the vehicle from the first dealer. They agreed to let a second dealer look at it, and the ESP folks contacted a second dealer (not an SVT dealer). I had always been told I could not take the car there for warranty work because they were not an SVT dealer. Anyways.........The second dealership in Rincon GA, agreed to look at it and did say they may have to disassemble to inspect for abuse. Once the Service manager heard the car, he was shocked that the first dealer refused to perform the work under warranty.

Well, I picked up the car and all the parts under the TSB were replaced and all was covered under the ESP. Total cost to me, $50!

My faith has been somewhat restored.

Thanks for the info, and for listening to me rant.

Vincent

Sapperstang

Established Member
I just bought an 03 and it seems to have this problem. I bought it used at an audi dealer. They do have a 30 day warranty on the tranny so I am going to call em tomorrow and see what they say.

Sapperstang

Established Member
a64armt said:
Well, I contacted the ESP folks right after picking up the vehicle from the first dealer. They agreed to let a second dealer look at it, and the ESP folks contacted a second dealer (not an SVT dealer). I had always been told I could not take the car there for warranty work because they were not an SVT dealer. Anyways.........The second dealership in Rincon GA, agreed to look at it and did say they may have to disassemble to inspect for abuse. Once the Service manager heard the car, he was shocked that the first dealer refused to perform the work under warranty.

Well, I picked up the car and all the parts under the TSB were replaced and all was covered under the ESP. Total cost to me, $50!

My faith has been somewhat restored.

Thanks for the info, and for listening to me rant.

Vincent

I may need those numbers you called if you don't mind. I just found out mine has a warranty until 100K. I will be taking it by the dealer to see if the clutch tsb is covered. If they say no I will call the esp people like you did.

a64armt

Established Member
Esp

I have the numbers at work. I have a few things taking most of my time there, but I will take the time to get them for you tomorrow if I can.

Vincent

Sapperstang

Established Member
Thanks. A lot of people are telling me they won't cover clutch issues but the core issue here is the flywheel which is covered.

a64armt

Established Member
ESP number

The ESP number I called is 1 800 321 7790. I used extension 3, but there are prompts.

Ok, here is what I was told and how my vehicle was handled at both dealerships.

The first dealer simply looked up the Clutch part number in Oasis, and it is not covered.

The second dealers said that my problem was not the clutch, since it was working just fine, and the noise was obviously the release bearing or throw out bearing. An Oasis search on the bearing itself revealed it was covered.

Here is where the problem seems to be. If a dealership does not want to do the work under the ESP, they can look up the first part (obviously not covered) and stop. A little bit of thought and effort is required on their part, and well, as we all seem to realize, many dealerships or service centers are not in the business of providing EFFORT!

If the service center or tech determines any damage to the clutch was a result of the bearing failure or misalignment, then the clutch replacement would be covered under warranty. I also assume that since the original parts are incompatible with the new parts, they should all be covered under this premise if their replacement is required due to incompatibility.

I simply told the service manager that if they could not replace the clutch under warranty, I would agree to pay for the clutch and pressure plate myself, parts only, since they had the car apart. He agreed, but they replaced the whole list of parts under warranty anyways.

The service manager was insistent that if the damage was viewed to be a result of abuse, the work would not be covered. Since I do not abuse, or race, I was not concerned about this. I guess this fact is another item open to "opinion".

My only advice, try the dealership you frequent first. If denied, contact ESP and be very insistent but INFORMED, not abusive or ignorant. Since this is a repair seemingly covered at their discretion, being friendly is important. I would not simply run to another dealership before contacting ESP. Get the ESP folks on your side first.

Vincent

barronnj

Clutch Eater
Established Member
I have the same problem... but this is clutch 2... the firs tclutch was replace by the local dealership <Sanders Ford, Jacksonville NC> and i don;t recommend any one in this area to get anything fixed or buy anything there. Thanks i will call them when i get home in a couple of weeks.

a64armt

Established Member
Second Clutch, same problem?

This is the second clutch, and the problem has returned. I guess I would ask if the second clutch was put in before the TSB, it is possible they installed the old style components.

Did the noise start at the same mileage on the second clutch?

Vincent

barronnj

Clutch Eater
Established Member
If i remember right the noise has always be there.... The clutch was bad when i bought it... so i had snaders ford put in a new one... and only paid half.... so i have a feeling the f*cked me on the install cause they are some shady motherf*ckers...

a64armt

Established Member
The problem isn't really the clutch (for me it wasn't), it is the Throw out bearing or release bearing making the noise. If they just replaced the clutch, there is your problem. There is more to the TSB than the clutch.

The release bearing is part of the slave cylinder I believe and this is why they had to replace this as well.

Does the noise stop when you have the clutch pedal pushed to the floor?

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread