Ford claimed a couple months ago that the autos

Driver72

Established Member
ran better 1/4 times than the manuals in their testing before they even released the 2011 GT.
It appears this may be the case.

I may have been hallucinating but I thought I read that the standard axle ratio for the auto was 3.15 and there was the option for 3.31's. Since than I have not seen an option sheet where there is any option for shorter gears on the auto.
The two questions I have is:

If the autos don't have an option for 3.31's from the factory, how easy (or difficult) would if be to put 3.31's into the rear of the 2011 GT?

And is having .1 second and 1-1.5 mph faster trap speed worth NOT having the fun of driving a manual tranny, or even the increased enjoyment of driving an auto with paddle shifters (which was quite enjoyable in both my 335i's and was enough to justify getting the auto's in the 335i's since they were faster than the manuals in that car too).
But in the Mustang you get just a floor mounted auto. No paddles for canyon carving two hands on the wheel paddle shifting fun.

I would also love to see how the auto stacks up to a manual in a rolling run. In the 335i, from a 40-120 mph run the auto would pull about 1.5-1.75 CL's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread