Ford charging dealers $1,500 to sell Shelby's

88GT

This is amazing information in this thread. Thanks to everyone for it. My dealer is telling me confusing stories.. if someone can give me some direction, I'd appreciate it. My situation; I was the first and only person on my dealer list until this past Monday. On Monday, they took an order ahead of mine. Then they called me and I placed my order. This is not an SVT dealer however, they tell me that my order was accepted by Ford, and that I will get the vehicle. My order number, so I'm told, is the last for digits of my phone number?? Seems to me I might be out of the picture if they only get one car, but Ford has accepted both orders, apparently??? Any insights?

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
88GT said:
This is amazing information in this thread. Thanks to everyone for it. My dealer is telling me confusing stories.. if someone can give me some direction, I'd appreciate it. My situation; I was the first and only person on my dealer list until this past Monday. On Monday, they took an order ahead of mine. Then they called me and I placed my order. This is not an SVT dealer however, they tell me that my order was accepted by Ford, and that I will get the vehicle. My order number, so I'm told, is the last for digits of my phone number?? Seems to me I might be out of the picture if they only get one car, but Ford has accepted both orders, apparently??? Any insights?

Everyone please be advised..
These are NOT limited edition vehicles.
Your "spot" is merly that.. A "spot"..
All dealers will eventually be able to order these like any other Ford..
All this hype over who gets these first round of alotments, is so the dealers get an even and fair supply of the first ones made..
The reason for this is, the dealers who get the early cars, typically make more off of them because the "gotta have it first" guys typically pay more.

7-10,000 units is alot of cars for only the first year of production..
These things will be sitting on dealer lots by the second year.
:beer:

88GT

Purvis said:
Everyone please be advised..
These are NOT limited edition vehicles.
Your "spot" is merly that.. A "spot"..
All dealers will eventually be able to order these like any other Ford..
All this hype over who gets these first round of alotments, is so the dealers get an even and fair supply of the first ones made..
The reason for this is, the dealers who get the early cars, typically make more off of them because the "gotta have it first" guys typically pay more.

7-10,000 units is alot of cars for only the first year of production..
These things will be sitting on dealer lots by the second year.
:beer:

Thanks for that. Personally, I don't care about future allotments. My dealer has informed me that I will not be price gouged, and I'm trusting them until proven otherwise. I've also been told I'll get the first one at the dealership. With that said, can you tell me about the actual ordering phase of the process? If Ford accepted the order, as the dealer has indicated, will the dealer be getting the car for certain, as I ordered it? Seems straight forward to me however, all that I'm seeing about allotments and production are scaring me a bit. Maybe my dealer is not totally educated in the matter? :??:

bullittman

Established Member
88GT said:
Thanks for that. Personally, I don't care about future allotments. My dealer has informed me that I will not be price gouged, and I'm trusting them until proven otherwise. I've also been told I'll get the first one at the dealership. With that said, can you tell me about the actual ordering phase of the process? If Ford accepted the order, as the dealer has indicated, will the dealer be getting the car for certain, as I ordered it? Seems straight forward to me however, all that I'm seeing about allotments and production are scaring me a bit. Maybe my dealer is not totally educated in the matter? :??:

I f you have ordered the car and FOMOCO has accepted it...Ask your dealer for a DORA. This is what FORD uses for confirmed orders. That is the only way you will know for sure.

awatters

Established Member
As far as 'certification' goes, what is required ? How long does it typically take a non- SVT (or certified dealer) to certify?

I realize that a non-certified dealer will probably not even receive an official allocation until they get certified, however if they already placed an order, will not being certified prevent them from receiving a DORA ?

Also lets say that a non- SVT (or certified dealer) places an order, once they become certified, how will that effect the order? Will the order ever really lose its place in line if the dealer gets certified before Job1 even begins and or before the first orders start getting pulled for assignment of their 'build' date ?

03'Darin

Established Member
First off we can't even order the cars yet. The order bank isn't open to accept orders on the Shelby. So no dealers will have dora's. Besides, we can order as many cars as we want and get dora's for every one. However, we will only get the number of cars allocated to us built.

Certification is as simple as taking some on line tests. A dealership could do all of their certification in a matter of a couple hours.

Darin

awatters

Established Member
please define "we"

also my order was placed in the Ford's ordering system back on 03-16 and I have a "order confirmation" sent from my dealer. No DORA yet though. I believe that that is due to my dealer not yet completing the "certification" process.

03'Darin

Established Member
awatters said:
please define "we"

also my order was placed in the Ford's ordering system back on 03-16 and I have a "order confirmation" sent from my dealer. No DORA yet though. I believe that that is due to my dealer not yet completing the "certification" process.

sorry...... we = dealers

yes we can place orders but Ford isn't scheduling anything yet. It won't hurt to put the orders in yet, but doesn't give you any advantage. We actually can get a dora but it doesn't have any pricing on it yet. Since orders have not yet started getting pulled the certification doesn't matter right now. Ford just e-mailed us last week about the certfication so I doubt many dealers have done it yet. We have not.

BTW certfication deadline is May 26, 2006

Darin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread