Ford charging dealers $1,500 to sell Shelby's

03'Darin

Established Member
We just got our e-mail from Ford today with the paperwork required to be a Shelby dealer this year. The e-mail states that production will be 7,000 units (slightly down from the 7,500 # we had been hearing all year). It also spells out the allocation structure of who will get how many cars. We had received this infromation before but it was confirmed in the contract we will have to sign. Basically it's broken down like this:

- One unit for signing up as and passing certification requirements for the Shelby.

- One additional unit for previous SVT Focus only dealerships (700 dealers).

- Two additional units for previous full line SVT dealerships (605 dealers).

- One additional unit for President Award winners (343 dealers).

- Any remaining units to be divided based on Mustang share of the nation formula.

To sign up and be eligible to sell the Shelby we also have to pay a $1,500 fee to Ford.

Darin

rukrazy

Established Member
Same info that i got this morning on my e-mail fm Ford. one thing i did notice is that on Enrollment & Certification Process Sheet it states that production forecast is 8000 units, then on the distribution plan it states 7000 units. If anyone has any questions about distribution this should answer it. i have the info on my desk

Route66

Established Member
I thought all along that dealerships needed to become certified, and would need to pay for that. Wouldn't that be the $1,500. fee.

03'Darin

Established Member
Route66 said:
I thought all along that dealerships needed to become certified, and would need to pay for that. Wouldn't that be the $1,500. fee.

We do certification testing for all of our model lines. We don't pay a premuim for those.

According to Ford the fee is for the certification and testing, literature, Shelby web site and dealer/consumer support line.

03'Darin

Established Member
07 Shelby said:
Is that a Fee per New SVT Dealer, All SVT Dealers, or per Shelby??

The fee if for every dealer that is going to sell Shelby's for 07'. It's a one time fee and not per car. So the dealer that gets one car still pays the same $1,500 fee as a dealer that gets multiple cars.

In 03/04 we had to pay an up front premium PLUS a per unit premium.

rukrazy

Established Member
03'Darin is correct, the $1500 fee is for every dealer that wants to sell the shelby. it's called an enrollment fee: prod brochures, hero cards, tech data cards, access to gt500 website and cust database, access to web based sales and svc tng, dlr and consumer assistance thru ford performance group.

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
I guess I missed this if it was on here but are the cars in production right now? I have been hearing rumors that people have spotted them on car trailors going down the freeway but I didn't even think they were on the assembly line yet. :shrug: Maybe a stupid question but I have no idea.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
03'Darin said:
...One unit for signing up as and passing certification requirements for the Shelby.
Darin...can you clarify that?

Exactly what does "pass certification requirements" mean? Is this just a formality...or is the process more involved?

I'm just trying to figure out how likely it will be for non-SVT dealers to go through certification. If it's a simple process and a $1,500 fee, I'd think the majority of dealers would jump on it.

...production will be 7,000 units
Hmmm... If a lot of non-SVT dealers sell GT500s, then there won't be many dealers selling more than 3-4 GT500s. Is that the way you see it? :shrug:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
2-slow-stang said:
...are the cars in production right now?
No, not yet.

There are some pre-production units running around for test purposes...like THIS one, but the first production GT500s won't be built until June I believe.

rukrazy

Established Member
here is the exact wording fm the Shelby GT500 Certification Form: Dlr requirements "In order to have Shelby GT500 vehicles scheduled, the following cert requirements must be met"
Sales: The dealer shall employ and have at least one sales consultant cerified in mustang and shelby gt 500 sales training located on the ford retail education & training available thru fmc dealer website.
Parts & Svc: Stocking requirements for vehicles: none
Svc Tools: Ford essential service tools required
Veh Production Allocations: As a Shelby GT 500 cerfified Dealer, i will generate at least one shelby gt500 for each model year, after review of the number of cert shelby dealers your regional office wil notify dealers if they are rcving any incremental allocation based on share of nation( mustang, president's award winners, powerlease customers, and previous svt enrollement.
IF YOU DECLINE PARTICIPATION: dealership is ineligible to order any shelby gt500 veh's. In addition the earliest my dealership can reapply for participation in the shelby gt500 program is for the 2009 model year.

03'Darin

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
Darin...can you clarify that?

Exactly what does "pass certification requirements" mean? Is this just a formality...or is the process more involved?

I'm just trying to figure out how likely it will be for non-SVT dealers to go through certification. If it's a simple process and a $1,500 fee, I'd think the majority of dealers would jump on it.

Hmmm... If a lot of non-SVT dealers sell GT500s, then there won't be many dealers selling more than 3-4 GT500s. Is that the way you see it? :shrug:

Certification is very simple. It's basically just a formality as you mentioned.

You are correct. With the demand for these cars EVERY dealer will sign up for a car. We will be getting 4 @ the store I'm at and 2 at our other store. I started a list of customers, from January a year ago, that are interested in buy a Shelby. That list has 34 people on it. Once we know what the pricing is and yes... how much we'll be charging for them, we will call the people and get deposits.

Darin

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
rukrazy said:
here is the exact wording fm the Shelby GT500 Certification Form:

IF YOU DECLINE PARTICIPATION: dealership is ineligible to order any shelby gt500 veh's. In addition the earliest my dealership can reapply for participation in the shelby gt500 program is for the 2009 model year.

I knew it "2009 Model Year", well guys looks like it will run for 3 years, and me the most produced SVT ever.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
04SCRMINYLWVERT said:
I knew it "2009 Model Year", well guys looks like it will run for 3 years, and me the most produced SVT ever.
exactly, bye-bye ADM.

I'll be pointing that out to my dealer.

TippsTheFoo

Established Member
That statement re: 2009MY means nothing. It only tells the dealers that if they do not certify that the earliest they can join again will be 2009...that is IF the Shelby were to continue. 2009 is NOT guaranteed.

Krazy4u2

Established Member
03'Darin said:
We just got our e-mail from Ford today with the paperwork required to be a Shelby dealer this year. The e-mail states that production will be 7,000 units (slightly down from the 7,500 # we had been hearing all year). It also spells out the allocation structure of who will get how many cars. We had received this infromation before but it was confirmed in the contract we will have to sign. Basically it's broken down like this:

- One unit for signing up as and passing certification requirements for the Shelby.

- One additional unit for previous SVT Focus only dealerships (700 dealers).

- Two additional units for previous full line SVT dealerships (605 dealers).

- One additional unit for President Award winners (343 dealers).

- Any remaining units to be divided based on Mustang share of the nation formula.

To sign up and be eligible to sell the Shelby we also have to pay a $1,500 fee to Ford.

Darin

Is there a list ( i.e. names of dealerships, addresses, phone numbers) for the dealers on the different avalibility lists on the web. or a list of all dealers? Every time I try , I have to add a zip code in, and if I want to look in other areas or states its near impossible?

mrGT

Established Member
It's almost a given that 07 sells out. If 08 follows suit, Ford would be nuts not to capitalize on this car in 09. That is unless, they have something special up their sleeves.

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Shelby Production MY2009

04SCRMINYLWVERT said:

According to the "best" information I have gotten from SVT, they have a go for 2007 and 2008 MY, nothing forward of that.....I think this may mean the licensing agreement with Shelby was for 2 years only...............

Users who are viewing this thread