Ford Cali special HID fog light conversion?

Badlilstang

Established Member
I picked up the lower small fog light (cali special) and noticed right away it was yellow and not near bright enough. I believe what I need is a 35W HID 4300K conversion kit to make it look right. Does anyone know the best place to get his or if you could provide a link to one that is known to work well. The Starkey conversion kit is 150$ and more than I hopefully have to end up spending to convert these. Thx in advance.

Vert

Established Member
I ran hids on my 13 CS and like others I had issues with them firing (turning on) due to the auto on headlight feature. The auto lamp feature sends a lower voltage than what the hids need to ignite, thus usually causing one not to turn on. I would have to toggle the switch off and back on to get them both to turn on.
I recently installed the CS in my 14 and I'm going with diode dynamics XL led bulbs.

Last edited:

Badlilstang

Established Member
I ran hids on my 13 CS and like others I had issues with them firing (turning on) due to the auto on headlight feature. The auto lamp feature sends a lower voltage than what the hids need to ignite, thus usually causing one not to turn on. I would have to toggle the switch off and back on to get them both to turn on.
I recently installed the CS in my 14 and I'm going with diode dynamics XL led bulbs.

Did you run a conversion kit on your 13 to us the HID? Do you have a link to the bulbs?

Vert

Established Member

jn2

Established Member
Last edited:

Badlilstang

Established Member
I got the Diode Dynamics LED's installed and my first impressions aren't good. First of all the light on the passenger side hits up against the Window Washer fluid container. Both Lights did not fit snugly when twisted into location. One of them was VERY loose yet all factory bulbs fit snug. I had to double up the seals to make them fit snug. My Cali special lights are new ford OEM so these should have fit as claimed. I will see how bright they are tonight. Now my only concerns are how well they hold up with one hitting against the window washer container. The whole lower fog setup in general isn't as nice or as well put together as the upper fog setups.

5lho

Established Member
I just put in a standard replacement 60W equivalent LED bulbs like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371476542813

They are about the same light level as stock and they fill in the low beam nicely. These little lights are never going to be grille-fog potent, that's reality but, using these was easy. Fit perfect and because they are LED, I just tapped into the existing harness wires for my '14's LED grille fogs. So far so good.

HID I would do a separate harness for these, if you insist. I used HIDs on my old '12s grille fogs and that was defintely worth it....I'm not so sure it would be on the lower fogs.

Vert

Established Member
I got the Diode Dynamics LED's installed and my first impressions aren't good. First of all the light on the passenger side hits up against the Window Washer fluid container. Both Lights did not fit snugly when twisted into location. One of them was VERY loose yet all factory bulbs fit snug. I had to double up the seals to make them fit snug. My Cali special lights are new ford OEM so these should have fit as claimed. I will see how bright they are tonight. Now my only concerns are how well they hold up with one hitting against the window washer container. The whole lower fog setup in general isn't as nice or as well put together as the upper fog setups.

Well that sucks. I heard they stand behind their product so i would give them a call.

Badlilstang

Established Member
I just put in a standard replacement 60W equivalent LED bulbs like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371476542813

They are about the same light level as stock and they fill in the low beam nicely. These little lights are never going to be grille-fog potent, that's reality but, using these was easy. Fit perfect and because they are LED, I just tapped into the existing harness wires for my '14's LED grille fogs. So far so good.

HID I would do a separate harness for these, if you insist. I used HIDs on my old '12s grille fogs and that was defintely worth it....I'm not so sure it would be on the lower fogs.

These that I have from Diode Dynamics are 1420 lumens and they came this is a true rating unlike the BS ones out there.. they are VERY BRIGHT lol..

Badlilstang

Established Member
Well that sucks. I heard they stand behind their product so i would give them a call.

Yeah, well they are already in and working. I saw others complaining about theirs hitting the window washer container also. I actually took the container down and slotted the bolt holes to slide it back some which helped. I used zip ties on the harness wire that comes out of them to hold pressure in a direction that will keep them from trying to back out. My only concern is water resistance but I got them pretty snug now. For something they claim is a simple swap It wasn't that simple for me and I have found others with the same issue. But function is awesome. They are VERY bright.. the 5000K is more white than the factory.. viewing it head on you don't see a difference but the light that hits the road you can tell. That doesn't bother me.. they didn't have the matching 4300K in stock anyways. In the end I am happy as long as they hold up. They have cooling fans built into the housing of the bulbs you can kinda hear if the car isn't running. With the car running you won't hear them.

fogsON_zpsucrfxkmf.jpg

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
The ones I got are still putting out more light than the stock halogens, bs aside. They cost about $20 for the pair, compared to the $200 for the DD XM...those bulbs cost more than the lights cost me...maybe someday...:)

Badlilstang

Established Member
The ones I got are still putting out more light than the stock halogens, bs aside. They cost about $20 for the pair, compared to the $200 for the DD XM...those bulbs cost more than the lights cost me...maybe someday...:)

The Diode Dynamics XLM2 I installed are 120$ shipped. These are the brightest ones they have for those fogs. It all comes down to how bright you want them. These are BRIGHT.. I could have gone cheaper no doubt but after having really nice fogs up top I wanted these to be bright as well. They could damn near be headlights if the angle was changed lol. The stock halogens these had in them were HORRIBLE.. very very dimm and yellow.

talonderiel

Established Member
I currently run the XML2's in my grill fog lights and have used them for headlights or daytime lights to make me more visible at the times of sunrise/sunset when full headlights aren't needed. I have Diode Dynamics LEDs in all my lights, save headlights and reverse whites, and I will praise their quality and longevity over Raxiom every day!

My Raxioms lasted maybe 3 months apiece. The design quality of Diode Dynamics next to Raxioms is ludicrous. Diode's are well crafted!

Users who are viewing this thread