Forced Induction or Built Internals???

Jonnathan_

So i plan on either going Forced Induction (On3 Turbo or Procharger) This summer 2017 or going forged internals? But im not sure if my budget would permit to do both this summer however i will get to both by next season forsure. Just not sure where to start? How will the internals/block hold up to boost? Im looking for around 450-500 whp. Not tracking the car or drag racing it, just want to have a fun street car. Any experience with boost and stock internals/block??

Sluggie24

Established Member
If you keep the boost reasonable and have it tuned on the safe side you should be ok with the stock bottom end for a while if it is currently in good shape. Then when you can afford it build the motor and turn up the boost with a more aggressive tune for a jump in power.

At least if you do it that way you can enjoy a nice increase in power that you wouldn't get building the bottom end first.

I would recommend going turbo since changing boost is easier and it has more power potential down the road.

I have an 04 GT with intercooled Vortech running 10-11 psi on a stock bottom end at the moment with a safe tune. 370 rwhp through an auto. Seems ok so far. Will be building the motor in a year or so.

Jonnathan_

If you keep the boost reasonable and have it tuned on the safe side you should be ok with the stock bottom end for a while if it is currently in good shape. Then when you can afford it build the motor and turn up the boost with a more aggressive tune for a jump in power.

At least if you do it that way you can enjoy a nice increase in power that you wouldn't get building the bottom end first.

I would recommend going turbo since changing boost is easier and it has more power potential down the road.

I have an 04 GT with intercooled Vortech running 10-11 psi on a stock bottom end at the moment with a safe tune. 370 rwhp through an auto. Seems ok so far. Will be building the motor in a year or so.

I appreciate the reply. And thats exactly what i planned on doing. I bought the car when it had 52k miles now it has 80k and ive been strict on maintnance. However, idk if i should go Hellion, On3, or even, again, the Procharger. Main thing for me is to have enough power to **** with people from red light to redlight. Like i said i wont be pushing a stupid amount of boost. I would like to stay at 400whp or right under. But yeah what you just said was exactly what i was thinking but i needed a couple other peoples input as well

StrayBullitt

Established Member
If I were in your shoes I would go with an On3 and add a Borg Warner Turbo to the kit for reliability and that should also leave you room to grow. Get it all dialed in on the stock block around 400 hp and enjoy it. In the mean time you could find a spare motor and start working on it, or start saving for a built block. Once you're ready for more and have the new motor ready to go you can drop it turn it up from there.

Sluggie24

Established Member
OP, does your car have a tubular k member and coil over setup already? If so the on3 system would be more cost effective although I've read custom fitting of the system can be required. From what I understand the hellion kit is much more complete, higher quality and includes those parts. More expensive though.

The procharger would probably be the easiest and cheapest overall to put in but it won't have the power potential a turbo does.

In the end it's going to come down to what you want to spend and what your end power goal is. Procharger with built bottom, ported heads, blower cams and full exhaust can get you to around 500 rwhp with a 4.6L depending on boost level. When you go to higher boost you will need to spend more to prevent belt slip though. A turbo can get you considerably higher than 500 rwhp with built motor and more boost is only a turn of a knob and a tune.

If it means anything my auto with 370 rwhp feels like a monster to me. (Would be in the low 400's if it was a stick) it's already enough power for a very fun street car and all heads turn when I drive it around.

jaxbusa

Established Member
As sluggie24 was saying, I would go turbo if you already have a tubular k-member. If not, and you don't want to spend the extra money on k-member suspension, get a supercharger. Please make a build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sluggie24

Established Member
For building a bottom end you are better off going to an established performance engine builder (local or national) rather than just your average performance shop. Quite a bit goes into building a block properly and it's better to get someone who focuses on building engines to do the actual build. They usually take their time to make sure everything is perfect because they have reputations to protect. They also have better control over the machine work that is required to do the job properly.

The average performance shop is usually working against the clock trying to get a job done as fast as possible so they can get the next job in. (Not knocking them, it's just reality) They will sub out the machine work to a local machine shop and HOPE they get back what they asked for. A performance shop can do the R&R of the engine if you don't want to do it yourself.

Pay once cry once.

Users who are viewing this thread