For you guys that like Side Exit Exhaust

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
I have always like side exit exhaust, and wanted it on my TBird. It had a gas tank under the seat area, and would of been a real mess to install one on it as it was. I had installed a fuel cell in the trunk to make changing rear ends easier and so I could run a decent exhaust syatem.

I am about 3/4 the way through the side exit exhaust now. I need to weld the tube to the body and sub frame brace yet, do some minor body work, then run the last part of the exhaust. Should run them Bow Tie Boys nuts :)

Here it is as of today.

side-exit17.jpg

Here it is with a tip sticking in the tube. It will be cut to follow the body contour. The tips will stick out about 1 inch.

side-exit15.jpg

You can see the turn downs on the mid mounted Bullets through the new hole and 3 1/2 inch tube.

side-exit14.jpg

The hole through the side.

side-exit9.jpg

View from the bottom.

side-exit13.jpg

Sketch:

exh-sketch.jpg

All the area around the tubes will have construction foam sprayed after the welding is done, then comes the full length sub frame connectors. All this with no loss of ground clearance.

Should have it back on the road next week.

Oh, it took 1st place in Bowling Green Ky last Saturday at the NMRA car show.

hoodsep5.jpg

Look out Bow Ties, I am coming for you!!!!!

hardcore35th

Established Member
393Bird said:
Full details here:
http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/birdwork7.htm
The unibody is reinforced, and full length sub frame connectors and 6 point roll bar going in, so no strength problem. There is no ground effects, and there is a stainless piece about 6x9 inches that will be around the exhaust exit to protect the paint.
Do an 8 point they are much stiffer in that long chassis. Some sheet alum door panels and a pair of Kirkeys wouldnt hurt either. :beer:

Last edited:

MustangMike

GR81
Established Member
wow, your t-bird looks killer! Exhaust is nicely done, I've always wanted to run side exhaust on a fox but the muffler shop guys said 'it couldn't be done'... we'll see... lol I'm from Alabama, duct tape will DEFINITELY work on my upcoming project... lol

Pacman

Established Member
hmmm, really not for me. More power to ya for the work ya did, good job! :thumbsup:

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Looks like you put alot of though into it, looks amazing man.. Keep it up.

Users who are viewing this thread