For what it's worth $$$$

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Watched the Mecum auction from Austin Tx. last night:
2006, 4 option car, blue / white stripe, 267 miles, hammered for 310K !
Couldn't help but think, what a shame a car like this wasn't driven.

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I have no interest in "wrapper cars", have not bought cars because they had too few miles. Our gt only has 11k so not exactly high mileage over almost 10 years.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A buddy of mine had his white/blue 4 option car sell at Mecum in Kansas City on the 5th for $290k.

It has 5500 miles on it.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
There is no way I would be able to just park a car like that and leave it in the garage for it to collect dust. I would be driving it, and possibly take it to a track day or two.

TFStang

Established Member
I'd rather put on a few miles and take a $20K hit. That makes much more sense as you get to actually enjoy the car and there is a lot of value in that. I like to drive everything I own. Keeps things interesting. I have preserved cars and then sold them to others for a huge loss. Not much fun in that.

Last edited:

flattrack53

Established Member
I don't want to sound like a dick or anything... But this why car collectors buy two of something they like. They buy one to drive and the other to preserve. I agree with the enjoyment factor of driving a car but others prefer just collecting them and not driving them. Sometimes the enjoyment can be had by just walking into the garage and looking at what you have rather than worrying about a Prius crossing the centerline because they dropped the Liberal manual.

svtrookie

Established Member
I don't want to sound like a dick or anything... But this why car collectors buy two of something they like. They buy one to drive and the other to preserve. I agree with the enjoyment factor of driving a car but others prefer just collecting them and not driving them. Sometimes the enjoyment can be had by just walking into the garage and looking at what you have rather than worrying about a Prius crossing the centerline because they dropped the Liberal manual.

+ 1 well said!

08KR525

Established Member
It seems lately I've fallen into that category of purchasing two of the same model. The way I look at it though is that I alternate between the two cars and it spreads the miles out between both of them instead of racking all of the miles on one.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It seems lately I've fallen into that category of purchasing two of the same model. The way I look at it though is that I alternate between the two cars and it spreads the miles out between both of them instead of racking all of the miles on one.
How's that working for you?

EDIT: It really depends on how many miles you drive and how long you plan to keep the cars. If you drive 15,000 miles a year and split that between two cars (7500 each), you're taking more depreciation than you would putting 15,000 miles on one car. There's really no difference in worth between a 7,500 car and a 15,000 car. So if you trade every year, or even every other year, it's costing you money.

Now, if you keep them for 5-6 years and drive 120,000 miles split between two (60,000) each, you'd probably come out a little ahead.

Last edited:

bret a ewing

Established Member

EDIT: It really depends on how many miles you drive and how long you plan to keep the cars. If you drive 15,000 miles a year and split that between two cars (7500 each), you're taking more depreciation than you would putting 15,000 miles on one car. There's really no difference in worth between a 7,500 car and a 15,000 car. So if you trade every year, or even every other year, it's costing you money.

Now, if you keep them for 5-6 years and drive 120,000 miles split between two (60,000) each, you'd probably come out a little ahead.

True.
Unless you are talking about the subject in this thread. Then the difference between 7500 and 15,000 miles can be as much as 20-30K.;-):)
Maybe 08KR has 2 Ford GTs. WOW!!

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
True.
Unless you are talking about the subject in this thread. Then the difference between 7500 and 15,000 miles can be as much as 20-30K.;-):)
Maybe 08KR has 2 Ford GTs. WOW!!
I'll do some checking on process and miles...but I imagine it'd apply to FGTs too.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I remember back in 2009/2010 Ford GTs were selling between $110-130. Heritage GTs were undesirable. I wish they were still that price.

jcthorne

Established Member
They were never that low. Trust me, I was in the market then. About as low as no stories cars ever fell was approx 150 for a driven car, 160 for very low mile cars. Salvage title cars did drop that low. Yes, Heritage cars were of about the same value as other medium range cars. Reds were always cheaper due to the numbers of them.

They never fell more than about 20k under MSRP and did not stay there very long. I was fortunate to buy one before they started the upward spiral

08KR525

Established Member

Actually it never was my intention to purchase like models just to save mileage on them. I just happen to find something I like and it seems I'll find another one in a "too good to pass up" scenario, say it's another color I really liked. I never buy cars as investments. I just buy what I like.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They were never that low. Trust me, I was in the market then. About as low as no stories cars ever fell was approx 150 for a driven car, 160 for very low mile cars. Salvage title cars did drop that low. Yes, Heritage cars were of about the same value as other medium range cars. Reds were always cheaper due to the numbers of them.

They never fell more than about 20k under MSRP and did not stay there very long. I was fortunate to buy one before they started the upward spiral

+1, I'm fairly confident in this as well.

Actually it never was my intention to purchase like models just to save mileage on them. I just happen to find something I like and it seems I'll find another one in a "too good to pass up" scenario, say it's another color I really liked. I never buy cars as investments. I just buy what I like.

That's how you should do it!

Where in the Midwest are you located?

08KR525

Established Member
I'm in Indiana. Unless the new FGT is priced astronomically high I'm hoping to add one of those to my garage. I passed one up when they were new and have kicked myself in the butt ever since.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm in Indiana. Unless the new FGT is priced astronomically high I'm hoping to add one of those to my garage. I passed one up when they were new and have kicked myself in the butt ever since.

Yeah, right there with you. My dad's had a few, but I've always wanted one.

I'm hoping the new one will be high enough and cool enough that my dad will dump his (to me) for a new one.

bret a ewing

Established Member

You are absolutely correct.
You can also put White in the inital lower price catagory. To be clear, if the price was 20k under MSRP the car had miles on it - the only wrapper or delivery mile exception was a distress or impulse sale anomoly, and those were one day blink and you missed it sales. Additionally since then a handful of dealers emerged effectively eliminating most of the those bargain units.
Today the price point on these cars moves upward every month or two. I'm not sure about some of the (exuberant) market estimators but at this point I am convinced it is growing organically. I am also convinced judging by the reaction of younger generations it is sustainable.
Like yourself, I monitered the prices of FGTs since day one. Early on, "FORDGTPRICES.COM" took the lead in the price watch but after he shut down his site I continued to wait for the numbers to drop.
Hehehe, for once I show some rational patients and well...................you know.;-)

Best, Bret.:)

08KR525

Established Member
The one I passed on was White (my least favorite color) and had paint issues. I thought I would pass on it and find a low mileage used one in a better color. Ha. I would've have never guessed that the market would go where it has with them. Like I said if I can I will get a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread