? For those with HVAC knowledge.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
We had some freezing rain which caused ice accumulation that seized the fan on the unit overnight. I noticed this when it wasnt reaching the set thermostat temp. So I chipped away the ice and now the fan is turning properly. There are lots of iced over components below the fan. Should it thaw itself now with temps around 30 ? Its an electric heat pump . THX

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Mine did the same thing a few months ago. Got it going again with my trusty yard stick, but you could hear it squealing for a while until it got going for some time.

Fan died Thursday morning.

It may work fine, but I'd watch and listen for it closely.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
As long as the fan spins with out wobble and the coil is free and clear of ice you should be good. If internal components are ice covered, copper tubing, compressor, wiring, let mother nature take care of that. All heat pumps enter into a defrost cycle to clear the coil of built up frost and ice. Defrost is initiated on time and terminated on temperature. Most heat pumps are set up to run a defrost every 60 minutes of run time. Depending the area of the country your in it could be more or less frequent.

SVT4ME

Established Member
During defrost it goes into cooling mode, the outdoor fan turns off and the strip heat turns on to temper the indoor air.

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
If you coil is frozen completly or halfway frozen over you fan motor will over amp and burn it up.

Users who are viewing this thread