For those who trailer their cars

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I'm about to move from Maryland to Louisiana and will be trailering my Mustang. I just picked up a 16 ft steel dove tail trailer, really wanted an 18 ft one but my dad had a 16 ft and beggers cant be choosers. I have a few questions I hope you guys could help me out with.

1. What tie down points on the front of the car is everyone using to secure their car? The rear will be simple but im curious about the front. I was either going to look for something on the K member or use the lower control arms.

2. I was going to purchase a set of race ramps but not sure on what length to get. I was looking at the RR-TR-4 ramps which are 4 inches tall and 46 inches long, you think these will be long enough? My car really isnt that low, I'm running Steeda Ultralites which lower the front roughly 1.25 IIRC.

3. You guys have a preference on tie down straps? I was looking to a set of Mac straps and these seem like they would work great? Ultra Pack Tie Down Strap Kit with Detachable Axle Straps.

If there are any other tips or tricks you guys recommend let me know. Thanks

50stangpower

Established Member
I use the front tire strap. this lets me dictate where I am strapping too and doesnt rub on the front bumper. they are like this 10 12' RED LASSO STRAPS TOWING TOW TRUCK CAR HAULER TIRE WHEEL STRAP TIE DOWN | eBay.

I use a set of 60 Race ramps but I have a GT500 with the chin spoiler, on ford lowering springs and 26" front tires. It is very tight for me but this also depends on the trailer you have and how level the ground the trailer is on.

fishinjeff

Established Member
Get the longer race ramps-if you are going to use the trailer much after the move it is just so much easier & quicker to load. Straps around the axles & there is a nice spot in the stock k member to put a hook into. I have now put a BMR k member on so go thru the wheel if I have my street tires on. Drag set up I go to the stock A-armsView attachment 1501276

Last edited:

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Longer ramps in case you ever need to load a lower car. Stock k member with axle straps is how I do mine. Haul many cars like this. if you have any big car shows in your area you can pick the straps up there.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
If you have problems with the underside of the car scraping the transition from the ramps to the trailer, longer ramps always help, as does having the nose of the trailer pointing downhill slightly or raising the nose of the trailer with the tongue jack.

I use 2 foot straps with sliding sleeves and rings on both ends...and use my hook end ratchet straps to secure all 4 corners.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
So I ended up ordering the longer ramps that you guys suggested, I purchased the TR-5s and I will have zero issues getting up on the trailer with these. These ramps are so light and easy to move, I just hope they hold up.

As for straps I went with a set Mac Custom Tie Downs. Went with 20" axle straps for the rear axle and purchased to 40" straps so I can run them through the front rims, should be a lot easier going through the tire rather than getting under the car.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Glad to hear you got things sorted out. How about a link for those ramps? Mine are 70lbs each but super heavy duty.

Those straps look nice - I used to have custom metal brackets that bolted under my front LCA’s and I would hook my straps there for the front of the car. But the brackets don’t fit my new tubular LCA’s so I might give those 40” straps a try...and those fleece sleeves too. Thanks for the update!

bunits19714

Established Member
My car sits lower than most in the front( Viking coil over) I have a 20' trailer- 16' with a 4' dove tail- with a gt500 front splitter- I use a simply 42" pc of 2x6 one per side added to the bottom of the steel ramp- I only trailer my car about a dozen times a year. simply and inexpensive- race ramps are great but pricey- to strap the front I use axle straps with micro fiber towels wrapped around the strap and rubber banded on each end of the cloth- works great no scratching of the wheels-.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Glad to hear you got things sorted out. How about a link for those ramps? Mine are 70lbs each but super heavy duty.

Those straps look nice - I used to have custom metal brackets that bolted under my front LCA’s and I would hook my straps there for the front of the car. But the brackets don’t fit my new tubular LCA’s so I might give those 40” straps a try...and those fleece sleeves too. Thanks for the update!
Race Ramps RR-TR-5: $255.71 with Free Shipping at Andy's

This was the cheapest I could find them, pretty big discount over race ramps site.

I agree the 40 inch straps will be nice for the wheels, the fleece liners are a must if you like the finish on your wheels.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread