For those who have reach REALLY HIGH SPEEDS

bossman429

Established Member
OK I have a 00Gt that runs 13.0 ish (should be int he 12's)

I know alot of you guys with cobras have gotten your cars way up there like 150-160 and even higher. I just wanna know what the hell it feels like goin that fast!

I've gotten my GT up to 130ish on the NJ turnpike by the meadowlands on a very flat, very smooth, very straight, and very very long piece of road (3 lanes no cars) And 130 feels damn fast.

How smooth is the ride at those high speeds?
Does the IRS make a huge difference in stability at top end speeds.

I just know things get very loud and feel kinda bumpy in my car, i wanna know how scary is it to go 160+

Thanks guys and dont worry I dont have any intentions of doin it with my car Prolly cuz my car couldnt reach those speeds

carterra3

missing 16 valves
Established Member
I have a 2003 GT and according to its speedo i've done 150. I'm not entirely sure about the accuracy of it, but however fast i was going felt really fast. The ride in my gt is pretty rough at that speed. It's one hell of a rush to go that fast... :burnout:

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Ive hit 155 in the cobra, and its a very odd feeling. At least on the stretch of road i was on(highway, night, flat, straight, empty of other cars) the car got very smooth around 120-130. From there to 155 it was like butter. The car does get alot of lift around 140, but it still feels very smooth.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I've done 158 outside of Tampa running a Z06. My 03Cobra felt very stable, she has been lowered and has subframes, roll bar, and strut tower brace. I did have to remove the STB to accomodate the Whipple since that run.

Rochard

Established Member
I live in the dersert in Phoenix, so trips to LA or San Diego are a blast.

At 150mph my Mach feels just like I'm driving at 70mph. The only difference is when you hit a small dip in the road..... You really feel it.

I hit 176mph on my bike once; That was scary and I'll never come close to doing that again.

faster.jpg

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
I've put my Cobra up over 150 before...Felt very smooth..THe IRS helped alot im sure.... I've 160+ in kenne bell cobra's blown mustangs what not.. THe smoothest was obviously the 04 cobra....touch like 165 or so and it felt very smooth all the way..but things are flying past very fast...I remember buzzing someone on the highway at 150+... Ileft of about a mile up and needed to get gas..well the truck that I buzzed apparently floored it to try and find out what I had :lol: :rockon:

He met me at the gas station..and looked at me with the most shocked face i've ever seen. HE like: jesus!! were you going like 180? NO, more like 150-155.. He then said: man I heard this v-8 coming and all I saw were these one pair of headlights a ways back and he said "no that cant be that car" then like 5 seconds later you blew by...the sound from the wind you were pushing sounded like a ****ing JET. Haha needless to say I was happy, very cool guy.

greyrob

The Grey Stang
Established Member
it seems to me that on these 03 cobras about 120+ the front feels as if it starting to lift like a plane - thats what'll freak you out

03TKTGTR

Established Member
The fastest Iv'e ever taken my 03 Cobra was 140 & it was very smooth. It gets there so fast that you don't really feel that your going that fast untill you see it on the odometer.

03Cobra_hopeful

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F ?
Established Member
BmoseleyINC said:
I've put my Cobra up over 150 before...Felt very smooth..THe IRS helped alot im sure.... I've 160+ in kenne bell cobra's blown mustangs what not.. THe smoothest was obviously the 04 cobra....touch like 165 or so and it felt very smooth all the way..but things are flying past very fast...I remember buzzing someone on the highway at 150+... Ileft of about a mile up and needed to get gas..well the truck that I buzzed apparently floored it to try and find out what I had :lol: :rockon:

He met me at the gas station..and looked at me with the most shocked face i've ever seen. HE like: jesus!! were you going like 180? NO, more like 150-155.. He then said: man I heard this v-8 coming and all I saw were these one pair of headlights a ways back and he said "no that cant be that car" then like 5 seconds later you blew by...the sound from the wind you were pushing sounded like a ****ing JET. Haha needless to say I was happy, very cool guy.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! :thumbsup:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
greyrob said:
it seems to me that on these 03 cobras about 120+ the front feels as if it starting to lift like a plane - thats what'll freak you out
Not my experience.

Thrust

Established Member
I've taken my car up to about 155-160, and it felt very smooth and stable. I didn't feel any lift, and if I didn't look at the speedo, I wouldn't have thought that I was going that fast.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I've hit 184 as indicated on the digital speedo in my Cobra. I doubt that was very accurate, but I was still cookin! It didn't seem that dramatic because the car stayed very stable. I didn't feel much lift.

Now, I had my '99 Cobra up over 150 a couple times and that was scary. Over about 130 the car would lift so bad it felt like all four tires were off the ground. It also wasn't geared the best for top speed runs. I could bury the speedo in fourth gear, but when I shifted to fifth it wouldn't pull any more. It struggled to hold the speed I built up in fourth.

I also hit the speed limiter in my '00 Lightning once or twice and all I can say is that it takes some balls to drive a pickup truck that fast.

greyrob

The Grey Stang
Established Member
with my Inexperience in driving these cars at these speeds i hit 135 it felt like the front was taking off - im sure it was all in my head cause i know i couldnt wipe the smile off my face - but the ride was smooooth

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I've been to 130 and it felt very stable compared to my 89 Hatch, which feels sketchy after about 120.

Our roads are too crowded/rough for much more.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I've been at the most 130 in the buick and after 85 in the brick you feel like your going to rool it over. The speedo only goes to 85 so I might be off by 5 + or -

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Rochard said:
I live in the dersert in Phoenix, so trips to LA or San Diego are a blast.

At 150mph my Mach feels just like I'm driving at 70mph. The only difference is when you hit a small dip in the road..... You really feel it.

I hit 176mph on my bike once; That was scary and I'll never come close to doing that again.

faster.jpg

How did you not run out of gas!!!!....LOL

03CobraBro

Established Member
jerrad said:
I've been at the most 30 in the buick and after 85 in the brick you feel like your going to rool it over. The speedo only goes to 85 so I might be off by 5 + or -

Switching out that rediculous 85mph guage pod in your GN should have been your first mod man! :D

Users who are viewing this thread