For those who have electronic fuel pressure gauges

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
For those who have fuel pressure gauges , how accurate are the readings your getting? Is there any benefit going mechanical or has anyone gone mechanical?
Also how reliable are the electronic fuel pressure gauges? Any problems over time with them?

railroad

Established Member
Manual fuel gauges are not allowed inside the vehicle. Of course, no one can control what you do with yours. The risk is a rupture of the metal tube inside the gauge. It would not take long to spray down the works at 30 plus psi.

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
Back in the day I had a 89 mustang with a mechanical mounted on the wiper cowl worked great with my paxson setup, im so old school kinda got used to see it outside but not sure if the electronic reads accurately sinve I read some failures are common and inaccurate readings

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I've had both from Auto Meter. Mechanical was on the cowl and it worked great. Electronic is in dash and it sucks. At times, it simply shows no pressure yet the car is running. Hhmmm. Anyway, I am going with an isolator and back to mechanical inside.

Tom

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the supersnake triple pod gauges in my car with boost, fuel and oil pressure, I have the Auto Meter electronic fuel Pressure sensor in my fuel rail, it's kinda nice having, at idle I'm usually at 30 psi, just cruising around I'm at 40 to 45 psi, and WOT I'm around 60psi.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I have an SOS Triple pod with (Boost, Fuel, and Oil) Ford Racing Gauges (by AutoMeter). My install/configuration and experience parallels 2011 gtcs's.

IMG_20140719_140217_833_zps32ecd46b.gif

TORQJNKY

I have a mechanical on my fuel pressure regulator in the engine compartment and a electronic on my gauge pod in the car. The electronic reads about 3-4 psi less than the mechanical gauge does. The one in the car is really just to let me know I have fuel pressure available.

railroad

Established Member
I have a mechanical on my fuel pressure regulator in the engine compartment and a electronic on my gauge pod in the car. The electronic reads about 3-4 psi less than the mechanical gauge does. The one in the car is really just to let me know I have fuel pressure available.

If your mechanical gauge is calibrated, it may very well be correct, otherwise the electronic may be the more accurate.
I have a 99 Cobra with a KB supercharger on it. Ken Christley (sp) is the man a KB. I think he worked with every owner of the kits they sold. Great job, great fun, great results, but that is another story. He gave us all the specs on what the kit would do and what readings we should get. Right off, the reports came, the boost was different for everyone. Ken told us, those little gauges you buy for the cockpit are off. I forget his exact works, but he gave them a wide range of results. Sure enough we began procuring, borrowing or using more accurate gauges for comparison. Auto Meter got a lot of communications. Many were sent back, exchanged or replaced. I think we all doubted Ken, at first, thinking it was an excuse for poor results of a product. We were wrong.
My point, the mass produced gauges, most end up with, can easily be off. We were seeing up to 4 lbs or inches of Hg variation. Think what that does to your ego and your 9 lbs of boost number. Just my experience with the market gauges.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I have the supersnake triple pod gauges in my car with boost, fuel and oil pressure, I have the Auto Meter electronic fuel Pressure sensor in my fuel rail, it's kinda nice having, at idle I'm usually at 30 psi, just cruising around I'm at 40 to 45 psi, and WOT I'm around 60psi.

Can you post a pic of the SS gauge pod?

Thanks, Tom

Users who are viewing this thread