For those using a 3.4 Whipple on pump gas (if any)...???...

Lightnin440

Established Member
Hey all,

Before summers end I'm doing cams, headers, H/E, IC pump, clutch, Fore return fuel sys, etc upgrades to the car...I'll be removing the 2.9 and I'm debating jumping up to the 3.4 (since the blower will already be off and now I have a huge cowl hood lol)...my question is, I want fuel compatibility to be able to work between either 91 or e85...so my question is for those who're using the 3.4 on pump (17ish psi), how does she work?? I'm looking at the 3.4 mainly because from what research I have gathered from reading & from Whipple direct, the 3.4 on the stock bottom 5.4 is about the limit for pump usage and decent blower efficiency at mid range boost levels, whereas the 4.0 pulled and set to work 91 with low compression wouldn't play as nice. Any insight would be appreciated!! Thank you!! FWIW, I will be building a bottom end soon...but I require 91/e85 capability.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
With the right pulley combo you can run it any way you want.

With my 4.0L, for my pump gas/street tune I run a 4" pulley and a stock throttle body which makes 18lbs. It's about 800rwh and runs awesome. I don't have a fuel system in it yet, so I haven't turned it up much more than that yet since I did the cams and built motor.

Last edited:

- Aj -

Established Member
With the right pulley combo you can run it any way you want.

With my 4.0L, for my pump gas/street tune I run a 4" pulley and a stock throttle body which makes 18lbs. It's about 800rwh and runs awesome.

91 or 93 octane? Do you use an octane booster?

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
I ran a 3.4 on pump gas with no problems. If you plan on building the motor go with the 3.4 but if you decide not to the 2.9 will take you 800rwhp and max out of the stock motor.

Lightnin440

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Yeah, I was looking at the 4.0, but for my altitude in KS, coupled with my requirement for 91 octane compatibility along with corn occasionally, I was referred to the 3.4 - which I'd be darn happy with either one lol

Yeah, I am planning a motor build in the future, truth he told I would keep the 2.9 if it wouldn't be coming off when I do the fuel system install

Lightnin440

Established Member
I ran a 3.4 on pump gas with no problems. If you plan on building the motor go with the 3.4 but if you decide not to the 2.9 will take you 800rwhp and max out of the stock motor.

Good to know!! If you don't mind my asking, what belt sizes and upper/lower configurations did you run??

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Good to know!! If you don't mind my asking, what belt sizes and upper/lower configurations did you run??

I don't remember the belt size but I ran a 3.625 upper pulley made 717/670 at 18#s through stock manifolds. You don't need any lowers with the TS.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I ran almost every pulley combination there is with my 2.9L. The harder I spun it, the more power it made. Ultimately a 15% lower, and 2.70" upper made the most power (824rwh), and that was the limit of that blower on my setup. Cams, and maybe a bigger intake/tbody would have yielded even more power though.

With the stock lower and the 2.85"/3"/3.25" upper pulleys, I just ran the stock belt. I did eventually run an aux idler with the smaller pulleys.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
a bit off topic - if you are doing all that work, be sure to add a set of billet oil pump gears IMO.

Lightnin440

Established Member
I don't remember the belt size but I ran a 3.625 upper pulley made 717/670 at 18#s through stock manifolds. You don't need any lowers with the TS.

Okay, good info so thank you...apparently Whipple ships 'em with a 3.5" upper to start with. Since the motor will be out of the car while this is going on, I may just throw an ATI balancer on regardless, seeing as I am figuring a 2-4psi drop after install of the headers and cams. I guess we shall see. I found the distributor online who does the Reichard Racing pulleys, so I am gonna look to pick up a couple around those sizes. Those #'s def are awesome though, makes me look fwd to it!!

Lightnin440

Established Member
I ran almost every pulley combination there is with my 2.9L. The harder I spun it, the more power it made. Ultimately a 15% lower, and 2.70" upper made the most power (824rwh), and that was the limit of that blower on my setup. Cams, and maybe a bigger intake/tbody would have yielded even more power though.

With the stock lower and the 2.85"/3"/3.25" upper pulleys, I just ran the stock belt. I did eventually run an aux idler with the smaller pulleys.

I will say, your results with the 2.9 were both inspiring and stunning - esp. for the altitude!! Ironically, although I am stationed in KS, the work/tuning will all be done at RWR Motorsports in Colorado lol So we'll see what the differences equate out to. TBH, I originally never considered going away from the 2.9 yet, it's just that since we figured we'd remove it to do the fuel sys, it posed the idea of just stepping it up a notch lol

My hope is that between the JDM cams and LT's, she should be quite potent with a 3.4 between 91 and corn when I do run it.

Lightnin440

Established Member
a bit off topic - if you are doing all that work, be sure to add a set of billet oil pump gears IMO.

No worries Sir, I def. anticipated picking up a set of TSS billet gears as well, figured with the engine out, knocking out the thump RRR tensioner, OD pulley, and gears, along with the clutch, headers, cams, springs, would be the way to do it.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I
My hope is that between the JDM cams and LT's, she should be quite potent with a 3.4 between 91 and corn when I do run it.

check out Mike at L&M for cams. His stuff is killer. This was a local car to me, guy picked up nearly 100 whp and dropped 3 psi on a 2.3L TVS with a L&M custom grind.

[video=youtube;XZMjfDB5O-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZMjfDB5O-M[/video]

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
the system only allows one vid per post... SMH

[video=youtube;xvWSGcVhKwc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWSGcVhKwc[/video]

Lightnin440

Established Member
I def. agree - Mike's work speaks for itself! I was referred to him by a few others as well recently. I will be in talks with him when I start my next build, which will be either a 5.4 or 5.8 with a 4.5 on top lol I got a good deal on the JDM SS cams, so I didn't wanna pass that up lol But I agree, L&M is the pinnacle place.

the system only allows one vid per post... SMH

[video=youtube;xvWSGcVhKwc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWSGcVhKwc[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread