For those that have sold high hp cars

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I've been kicking around the idea of putting the Cobra up for sale (I know, I should be banned for saying that) but was concerned about the "tire-kickers" who just wanted to drive a fast car w/o any intention of buying it. How have you guys dealt w/ that, and what's the best way to prohibit that kind of thing from happening. My biggest fear is some kid w/ a GT or something getting in and flooring it like he does his GT and fishtailing my car into a tree or something. So what are the best ways to curtail these kinds of things? Thanks guys.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Just use your common sense and follow the gut feeling you get about someone.

No kids, period. (21 and under)

No buddy riders, just you and the buyer in the car. Not only would the buddy encourage stupidity behind the wheel, but if they had bad intentions of stealing the car from you, you are 1 on 1 vs 2 on 1.

Get proof of insurance and DL information.

Talk to them about the car for awhile instead of jumping in the car right away. That way you get a good feeling for the guy to let you know if you should let him drive or not. If your gut tells you at all there is something not right or he is just tire kicking, tell him you won't let him drive without proof he has the funds available. That will usually chase the tire kickers off.

Good luck. :)

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
I agree with everything from the 1st post except for the age limitation. That would cut out many the potential buyers for a performance car in this price range. From what I've seen, a lot of the 16-21 y/o's are still getting cars bought for them by their parents (or at least a nice interest free 'loan' to be paid off whenever)

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Just use your common sense and follow the gut feeling you get about someone.

No kids, period. (21 and under)

No buddy riders, just you and the buyer in the car. Not only would the buddy encourage stupidity behind the wheel, but if they had bad intentions of stealing the car from you, you are 1 on 1 vs 2 on 1.

Get proof of insurance and DL information.

Talk to them about the car for awhile instead of jumping in the car right away. That way you get a good feeling for the guy to let you know if you should let him drive or not. If your gut tells you at all there is something not right or he is just tire kicking, tell him you won't let him drive without proof he has the funds available. That will usually chase the tire kickers off.

Good luck. :)

great advice. and no one 16-21 years old without proof of funds or parents accompanying them. i remember when i bought my '87 GT, my dad came with me to look at every car. i was 20 at the time--

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Good advice guys. Seems like common sense is the best option here. It won't be going up for sale for a while, as I'd like to keep the car during most of the summer here.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
yeah if they are under 21 and there parents are buying it for them or something than the kid needs to bring the person who is actually going to fork over the money.

Also you can require a deposit just to drive it, 500 or 1000 bucks to take it for a spin with you in the car, sign a simple contract for the deposit (use a witness is possible), they get it back as soon as you return to your driveway...that would scare away all tire kickers

03snakenvtn

Established Member
yeah if they are under 21 and there parents are buying it for them or something than the kid needs to bring the person who is actually going to fork over the money.

Also you can require a deposit just to drive it, 500 or 1000 bucks to take it for a spin with you in the car, sign a simple contract for the deposit (use a witness is possible), they get it back as soon as you return to your driveway...that would scare away all tire kickers

I definitely like this idea, and would surely scare away the tire kickers. Keep any other ideas coming guys. I feel better about the process already. Maybe I should require a minimum # of post on this forum as well... :beer:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
lol when i first bought my 03/04 the owner didnt even drive with me. I pulled up in my GT and after talking for a while hes like "wanna go for a ride" and threw me the keys, i started it and was like "you coming?" cause he was still standing there. Hes just said "nope, im good. I dont like seeing my car being driven by someone else".

then again, he already knew i had the loan paperwork being processed.

When i sold it to 01strimbullit (on here) he didnt even want to drive it, i drove it around for him for a bit, gunned it a few times, showed how well it ran and pulled, etc. When i bought it back i didnt even test drive, he pulled up and we started signing paperwork! Talk about trust, but car drove fine so no biggie.

Just get a feel for people and go from there. Maybe say right off the bat no test drives, or that you will drive the car for them. I think most people that understand and respect cars like this will understand your concerns, and those that dont well **** em cause they are the ones that would wreck anyways.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Good advice so far. I just sold my Lightning and I had plenty of tire kickers. You can pretty much tell who's serious and who's out for a joy ride.

wnelles

Established Member
I have sold several 9.0 - 10.9 street cars over the years and never one of the buyers even asked to go for a test ride. You can usually tell real quick who is serious and who is dreaming.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I wouldn't even let the person drive it unless they are dead serious about it. Let them ride around with you driving to see if they like the car or have any complaints about it. Describe every quirk the car has so it's almost like they are driving.

When I sold my blown GT, the dude had a truck pick it up from my house, so it was simple as that. I drove it on the trailer and said goodbye.

When I sold my Cobra, the guy flew up from Florida and I picked him up from the airport and drove him 30 minutes back to my house. We signed the paperwork and he drove off. Didn't want a test drive or anything.

Usually if you are buying a heavily modded car, you know everything about it and know pretty much what it'll feel like to drive it. Especially with mustangs/cobras because people have owned one before.

flattrack53

Established Member
I would not listen to that rule of 21 and under. I bought my 2000 Cobra R by myself at the age of 20.. I started working at a young age and have one hell of a job. If I were you, I would not let anyone drive the car untill you have full funds in hand... What the hell is a $500 deposit going to do if someone wrecks your car. I didnt test drive my cobra when I bought it because it only had a little over 600 miles. If the person doesnt have full funds in hand and wants to drive it, I would take them for a ride. Good Luck :beer:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I agree with everything from the 1st post except for the age limitation. That would cut out many the potential buyers for a performance car in this price range. From what I've seen, a lot of the 16-21 y/o's are still getting cars bought for them by their parents (or at least a nice interest free 'loan' to be paid off whenever)

i wouldnt want any 16 y/o buying my 600hp cobra as a first car.. id rather keep it than kill the kid

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
honestly when the time comes for me to get an 03/04 cobra im going to purchase one off of here and from a member I know takes care of the cars. You always pick that up from in the threads they post in.

to the OP i also like the idea of the deposit, saves your ass or just make them sign a contract in which they are held responsible for any damages done to the car during the test drive.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I think after reading all the replies, it seems like I'm not gonna let anyone drive it unless they have full funds in hand. And hopefully, me taking them for a ride will be enough and I won't have to go through the agony of seeing anyone else drive it while it's mine. In the 2 years I've owned it, only my dad has driven it other than me.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I think after reading all the replies, it seems like I'm not gonna let anyone drive it unless they have full funds in hand. And hopefully, me taking them for a ride will be enough and I won't have to go through the agony of seeing anyone else drive it while it's mine. In the 2 years I've owned it, only my dad has driven it other than me.

thats where i am with my car as well.. when someone shows up with some major $$$ they can drive it

Never_Enough

Established Member
I tell people no test drives unless they come with cash in hand. It always worked. If they wanted to drive with no cash I would drive the car & they sat their ass in the passenger seat.

Users who are viewing this thread