For the oversized people - Recaro's

Ferrcad

Established Member
I did a forum search on this and really could not find the answers... If I missed it I want to apologize up front now...

Just looking for some input from the larger people on the site... Since the dealership that I am working with has no Recaro's for me to try it is kind of a leap of faith for proper fit... I'm 6'-2" and around 300 lbs and just wonder what kind enjoyment I may see do to my weight and height or should I just scrap the option. Please provide feedback from those that are in the size and weight club... Thanks in advance.... Probably going to finalize my order before the week is out:thumbsup:

Kingcobra1969

Established Member
I'm 5'11 360. Big guy but slide right into them and not uncomfortable at all. The sides flex a little and im a wide body guy. Takes a little to make sure you have the right adjustment with the seat back and where you like the steering wheel.

I SAY GO FOR IT!

Snoopy49

Established Member
I was in the same position as you, but my dealer received a 2013 Boss 302 with Recaro's, so I drove up and tried them on for size. My butt fit the lower part, but it was to tight in the love handle area. I decided to go with the stock seats and I am glad I did.

Ferrcad

Established Member
Thanks King... I was leaning that way but you never know...
see your in Philly.... near Pittsburgh myself... Once again thanks for the input...

I'm 5'11 360. Big guy but slide right into them and not uncomfortable at all. The sides flex a little and im a wide body guy. Takes a little to make sure you have the right adjustment with the seat back and where you like the steering wheel.

I SAY GO FOR IT!

GT500662

Established Member
I'm 5'10 290..I've owned both seats. I logged 3300 miles on 2012 GT500 and now 1400 miles on my 2013 GT500 with standard seats. For me I'm glad I made the choice to go with the standard, they are much more comfortable for me. I'm not going to pretend they look as good. Because I still struggled with choice as the Recaro's look so nice!

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I am a big guy also and had the same choice. Gt 500's with Recaro's and standard seats next to each other. Easy choice for me, no Recaro's... Ingress and egress much easier with the stock seats, which BTW, we're much more comfortable than my 09 GT 500 seats... Ck them out to make your choice...

Ferrcad

Established Member
I am a big guy also and had the same choice. Gt 500's with Recaro's and standard seats next to each other. Easy choice for me, no Recaro's... Ingress and egress much easier with the stock seats, which BTW, we're much more comfortable than my 09 GT 500 seats... Ck them out to make your choice...

Wish I could but can't seem to find anyone here locally that has the Recaro seats to compare... Only pictures and leap of faith which has me concerned based on some of the post regarding uncomfortable and Ingress/egress problems...

Snoopy49

Established Member
Another thing to consider, the stock seats are heated, drivers side is electrically adjustable, manual on passenger side. The Recaro's are unheated and manual. I know some people don't see the need for heated seats in a GT500, but they may not enjoy a warm butt in the winter.
Now that Ford is offering Recaro's in all the Mustangs, you may want to call around and see if one of the local dealers has a car with Recaro's in it or has one on order.

In the end, you have to live with the seat you choose.

Ferrcad

Established Member
Another thing to consider, the stock seats are heated, drivers side is electrically adjustable, manual on passenger side. The Recaro's are unheated and manual. I know some people don't see the need for heated seats in a GT500, but they may not enjoy a warm butt in the winter.
Now that Ford is offering Recaro's in all the Mustangs, you may want to call around and see if one of the local dealers has a car with Recaro's in it or has one on order.

Going to be primarily a summer driver store in the winter so not real concerned about the heated seats... Thanks for letting me know about the standard features of the seats I was aware of the power and heat... Just love the look of the Recaro's....

I hear you on that is the seat I have to live with.... Thats the problem... I tried calling a few dealerships about Recaro and no one has any near my area...

Last edited:

Nickoli

Established Member
I'm a 38" waste and if I was any bigger they might not work but they seem to feel good and I love the way they look.

JakeSpoon3

Established Member
Recaros

I did a forum search on this and really could not find the answers... If I missed it I want to apologize up front now...

Just looking for some input from the larger people on the site... Since the dealership that I am working with has no Recaro's for me to try it is kind of a leap of faith for proper fit... I'm 6'-2" and around 300 lbs and just wonder what kind enjoyment I may see do to my weight and height or should I just scrap the option. Please provide feedback from those that are in the size and weight club... Thanks in advance.... Probably going to finalize my order before the week is out:thumbsup:

I'm 6'1 and generally speaking..fluctuate between 230-240. There is quite a bit of room left in mine. I don't feel constrained whatsoever. I had the standard seats on my 2011, but love the Recaros on my 13.

Tikigrill

Established Member
Ferrcad, something else to consider is how much the car will be driven. I'm a big guy. 40 in waist and shaped like a football player but the Shelby is not a daily driver. Honestly, the Recaro seats are not comfortable to me after about an hour but I'm so glad I got them. They look amazing and even at my size they hold me in place very well. I also was not able to try them out so it was a leap for me as well. I hope this helps.

Florian

Established Member

stock seats are only heated if you choose the base model...heated is not available with the PP, at least on the '13s

F

Husky44

Established Member
6', 235#, so not quite the same size, but I believe a lot will depend on your body shape and where you carry the weight. My butt and waist fit comfortably in a standard airplane seat, but my shoulders overhang on both sides- the middle seat in a plane kills me after one hour. My Recaros fit me very well. Made a 7 hour road trip where I was out of the seat only long enough to gas up, and was extremely comfortable even though the seats fit me like a glove. Ingress/egress is easier than wife's Subaru.

Not sure if this helps any.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Another thing to consider is if you have any back problems I had a few back problems in the past with my disks and on a 4 hour trip, I was hurting. I am about 5'9'' and 220. I have the recaros and they just look so cool! That trip was brutal though. Just another thing to consider, not all big guys are going to have back problems and even those that do may not have a adverse reaction to these seats but I put it out there! I think you can make the recaros electrically adjustable anyway along with probably being able to make them heated

HansHeinen

SHELBYS ARE ME
Established Member
6'3 & 220lbs. I love my Recaros. Got the Recaro seat belt pads and looks badass with Recaro in big white letters. Only complaint is a soar buttcheek when I don't take my wallet out of my back
pocket!Must be all the 100's.(yea right) I do believe the base seats can go lower because of the electric seats. At least the 2011 & 2012 did. The Recaros put you in a higher seating position. If I didn't have the glass roof(wouldn't live without it) I would possibly be rubbing my head on the headliner. I guess that depends on your torso and if you have a neck or not though!! I say get the base seats if you are 6'3 or taller and weigh over 250. Anyway, the less of you who get the Recaros means that the more rare of an option it will be for the rest of us! Enjoy whatever you get!

Ferrcad

Established Member
Hey guys... Thanks for all the reply's they are very appreciated... I really like the look and what's another $1,600 when you are in that price range. The frustration, which I have documented pretty well is my big concern... The standard seats just don't look as good and aggressive as the Recaro's... It is a very tuff decision for me at this point... I just hate to make the wrong decision and then have to live with the frustration. Heading down to the dealership tonight, then have a 2013 GT Mustang with the standard seats... I have not owned a new Mustang since my 1996 GT so it has been a while. I want to make sure I still fit in the damn car properly before purchasing this big ticket item. I own a 67 coupe and once I'm in the car it's ok but I must say exit and entrance is always an ordeal. I'll keep you all posted on my selection....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I'm 6'-2", 350lb and I drove a 2012 with Recaros and loved it. The only place I noticed they were tight were at my thighs (the high spot on the seat bottom side bolsters is hard and sharp), especially if you like to 'spread out' a bit;-). However, in my standard driving position, my legs came up above those bolsters (because of the bend in my knee) enough that they weren't obtrusive. BTW, the Recaro seatbacks not only look great, but they are supremely supportive and comfortable, even for me. Getting in and out of the car does take more care in order to avoid the hard bolsters. For my money, the Recaros and electronics pack are the only 'must have' features on the new Shelby.

With that being said, you never miss what you haven't had... Meaning, if you cannot try any Recaros personally, just order the stock seats. The stock seats aren't bad at all, and there is no risk that way. Once you drive your car about 10 miles, you won't even think about the seats anymore, anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread