For the Guys who run a 4L + blower

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Photos I posted directly to SVTP show up as thumbnails which need a "click". I was hoping to get the photo to display directly to the post. It appears the protocol for linking Flickr images is different than before :(

After you upload them, select the “full image” button and they’ll be full-sized. Here’s an example:
19C0C874-D37A-4F4E-8C57-0A72E52CD24B.jpeg

sqidd

Established Member
Weathermans approach to insulating the intake is very impressive and has me thinking about taking a similar steps. I am very interested on how you accomplished this. It would be nice to see pics of your set-up from how you described it. I would think that kind of mod was not a "walk in the park".

I designed and made Weatherman's intake manifold. Take a look at his pics and you can see how I accomplished it.

It's not a "mod". It's a completely different part. And no, it's not a walk in the park.;)

SlowSVT

Established Member
I designed and made Weatherman's intake manifold. Take a look at his pics and you can see how I accomplished it.

It's not a "mod". It's a completely different part. And no, it's not a walk in the park.;)

OK now I understand, very clever. The lower plenum cover must be very thick without stiffening ribs the pressure exerted on the walls especially at high boost levels with all that surface area would be tremendous, imagine a lower intake explosion LOL. How was the lower box formed it almost looks like an off-the-shelf vacuum formed cover.

It's a mod to the engine which was how I was looking at it but I get your point.

Here is the pic of mine which is nowhere near what you came up with. The main purpose is to improve flow to the runners with a very slight improvement in heat being transferred to the charge by smoothing the rough cast finish and overall, probably of limited benefit. The blower will be pushing a 15-16 psi on pump swill.

Attachments

• Ported Cobra intake 7.JPG
    Ported Cobra intake 7.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Ported Cobra intake 2.JPG
    Ported Cobra intake 2.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 99

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
It's not a spacer. It's part of the intake manifold. The port dimensions are similar between the 3 and 4v. But the distance between the heads and the bolt pattern are wildly different. You can't even get a 3v manifold to sit down on the heads of a 4v. It's too wide.

So not a easy fix to help the terminator guys use the SPEC R manifold to broaden the user base. Could a guy use a fabricator like Shelby Mike to make a spacer and mandate a cowl hood? Just in my limited time here, seems like you see a Terminator pick up a 3.4 whipple and a few months later it is up for sale. They just have to many iat issues.

sqidd

Established Member
So not a easy fix to help the terminator guys use the SPEC R manifold to broaden the user base. Could a guy use a fabricator like Shelby Mike to make a spacer and mandate a cowl hood? Just in my limited time here, seems like you see a Terminator pick up a 3.4 whipple and a few months later it is up for sale. They just have to many iat issues.

I'd love to do a Termi R-Spec. I just don't think there will be a market even close to large enough.:(

sleek98

Established Member
How much do you guys pay for the phenolic spacers that are out there?

The set that I have seen, he has them listed at $150.

I am debating on buying them just to try since my manifold is already off. I am not sure I have the clearance to the hood though.

sqidd

Established Member
The set that I have seen, he has them listed at $150.

I am debating on buying them just to try since my manifold is already off. I am not sure I have the clearance to the hood though.

Wow, that's a really good price. What exactly are they made of and how thick are they? Some of those materials are REALLY expensive. That price is surprising.

sleek98

Established Member
He doesnt say what material hes using, and I take back the 150, I thought thats what his post said but looking at it now it just says coming soon. I dont know where I got that from.

24775223_1499886973436571_2071906168323216441_n.jpg
24775223_1499886973436571_2071906168323216441_n.jpg
24852421_1499886996769902_3641038179712309796_n.jpg

Poisonous West

Established Member
So who is guy that made the spacer in the these pictures using the GT500 gasket as a template?
I been trying to find someone to make some custom spacers for my 11 GT500. I already contact several places including DOB (Department of Boost) but ALL refuse to make the custom spacers even I told them I will provides the CAD models in any CAD format they need (IGS, STP, STEP, CADPART, etc). Most of the answers are too little $$$ for me to make.

Using the gasket as a template is good ONLY on one side (the side toward to center of the engine). The other side we actually has ~ 2 more mm of space. Below are the pictures of my CAD model for the top and bottom spacers. And the CAD model for the 1-piece front water outlet. The yellow piece is the bottom spacer to have more opening space between the bottom of IC (especially the KB Bigun IC) and the close-out cover.

Top view.JPG

ISO view.JPG

Rear view.JPG
[/QUOTE]

SlowSVT

Established Member
I even supply a DXF files to one of the shop who can water jet the spacers but at the end, no result.

Find another shop

I have one local here in LA who can do it I can connect you with.

Is it just me or is SVTP back to heavy scripting again? This site is back to being "crash happy" and is getting unusable :( My ISP was blocking viruses from here. A friend of mine logged-in got a virus warning and bailed!

sqidd

Established Member
You contacted me? I don't remember ever seeing those. Anything can be made. It all comes down to cost.

Poisonous West

Established Member
You contacted me? I don't remember ever seeing those. Anything can be made. It all comes down to cost.

Yes, I did contact you thru email back in September regarding to make a set of custom heat insulated spacers for the GT500. (with CAD supplied by me). But you reply saying you don't do any custom spacer.

sqidd

Established Member
Yes, I did contact you thru email back in September regarding to make a set of custom heat insulated spacers for the GT500. (with CAD supplied by me). But you reply saying you don't do any custom spacer.

I must have been grumpy that day. Sorry. Email them to me again.

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Fischer makes the whole kit for $5k. Madskillz who posted earlier on this thread is currently writing a program. Ive been contacting him. The bottom spacer im told will be acedal plastic 1/2" thick for around $250 and the phenolic spacers he sent me some prototype picutes that are being r+d now that balance the flow by running equall size lines out of all 4 corners to equalize head flow. That would eliminate the hot spots in the rear of the head. I asked on this price and he said he didnt know for sure but should be done in a month or two. But he said he was shooting for $2k for the kit WITH removing the water necks for the intake.

merkyworks

Established Member
So much great information in this thread!

Is there anything to be gained by increasing the reservoir capacity when running ambient water in a mostly stock HE system? Say add a 15 gallon tank in trunk with appropriate pump to push.

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Using the gasket as a template is good ONLY on one side (the side toward to center of the engine). The other side we actually has ~ 2 more mm of space. Below are the pictures of my CAD model for the top and bottom spacers. And the CAD model for the 1-piece front water outlet. The yellow piece is the bottom spacer to have more opening space between the bottom of IC (especially the KB Bigun IC) and the close-out cover.

View attachment 1451204

View attachment 1451205

View attachment 1451206
[/QUOTE]

Whats your plan for the rear water outlets?

Users who are viewing this thread