For Ohio LEO's (Proof of insurance??)

Wildpony

Established Member
I know at one time the state would send out random letters to people w/ vehicles asking for proof of insurance. If they couldn't prove they had it they would get a suspended lisence.
My question is when you get pulled over for whatever the reason, the cop will ask for DL, & vehicle registration, & maybe your insurance card. Are you required to automatically supposed to give them a Ins card or only if THEY ask for it.

When I got pulled over in '05 for a speed (just ended up w/warning), I was only asked for my DL & Reg. As I was pulling out that stuff out of the glovebox, I asked the statey if he wanted my Ins. card. He was like ''yeah if you have it".

In the last couple weeks people that work for me are getting these notices from the state DMV that states "you didn't provide proof of Ins during this traffic stop"
One friend of mine went to court over a Failure to stop & then failure to pull over (quick enough), 2bad front headlights, etc. She ended up getting a lawyer & got all the extra stuff knocked down to a moving violation, no points & whatever fine..
She thinks it's all said & done and then she gets a notice about 1 month later stating the pulllover & how she did not give them any insurance proof at either the time of the arrest or in court. She was never asked at either place.

If this was such a big deal then why did a knowledgeable traffic offense type lawyer NOT tell her that she needed to do this??? WTF??

It sounds like a easy $$ maker if that's the case.

TG84Moss

Established Member
I always ask for DL, reg., and proof of insurance when issuing a citation. In many cases, drivers do not carry the most current card or do not have it with them at the time. After marking the item on the citation noting that proof was not shown, it becomes the driver's responsibilty to provide the court with the information either in court or a copy by mail.

In my opinion, it sounds like you feel that police officers are solely out to find ways to take money from citizens surreptitiously. The insurance requirement and the seatblet question from your other post are straightforward things that motorists should be aware of. If you carry a current insurance card and wear your seatbelt, you would eliminate the easy $$ maker as you put it and not allow the cops to find ways to do this to all the people you know who become victims.

Last edited:

Wildpony

Established Member
So even with an attorney present at the hearing, neither he (someone that should know that law as it's his job), nor the judge asks her for this. Then the court / state sends out this notice to show proof. As far as Im concerned that's bull. I even told her to have it available for court, yet she was never asked by either.
What a waste of $400 for an attorney if that's the case..

Users who are viewing this thread