"FOR LEOs ONLY" application info question

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
I am filling out a rental application for a privately owned house. It asks me if I have ever been arrested. and then have i ever been convicted. and my reason

I was arrested right after i turned age 17 in MA for being in the wrong place with the wrong people. I was charged with destruction of property, Trespassing and Larceny. In court i was given all 3 as misdimeanors with probation and fine to pay the "damages" which was a broken lock that the kids i was with destroyed.

At age 18,I was also arrested by campus police in RI at the UNiversity of RI while attending school there because a kid claimed I had threatened him.... of course i was butt naked coming out the shower and he was trying to expose me to the hallway people and all i said to him was START RUNNING now... I wasnt charged with anything because it was BS and they let me go. Im not sure if records were made about that at all.

Now i live in CT, at age 23 and i have no trouble here.

I was never convicted for anything anyway. Also I have no oustanding warrants or any of that crap. I also understand that since i was 17, that those misdimeanors are no longer on my record because i am an adult. Supposively that information is no longer available to the general public.

Do i have to write yes to being arrested? I really want this house.

Edit: the landlord claims he does background checks on people applying.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I am filling out a rental application for a privately owned house. It asks me if I have ever been arrested. and then have i ever been convicted. and my reason

I was arrested right after i turned age 17 in MA for being in the wrong place with the wrong people. I was charged with destruction of property, Trespassing and Larceny. In court i was given all 3 as misdimeanors with probation and fine to pay the "damages" which was a broken lock that the kids i was with destroyed.

At age 18,I was also arrested by campus police in RI at the UNiversity of RI while attending school there because a kid claimed I had threatened him.... of course i was butt naked coming out the shower and he was trying to expose me to the hallway people and all i said to him was START RUNNING now... I wasnt charged with anything because it was BS and they let me go. Im not sure if records were made about that at all.

Now i live in CT, at age 23 and i have no trouble here.

I was never convicted for anything anyway. Also I have no oustanding warrants or any of that crap. I also understand that since i was 17, that those misdimeanors are no longer on my record because i am an adult. Supposively that information is no longer available to the general public.

Do i have to write yes to being arrested? I really want this house.

Edit: the landlord claims he does background checks on people applying.

If you got probation and fines, that means you were convicted.

Also, what makes you think those misdemeanors are no longer on your record? They will most certainly appear on an NCIC report.

If you want to comply with the application, you need to list the arrests and the misdemeanor convictions.

If you dont disclose it and they find out, there is no way you are getting the property. If you are honest and explain your hesitation the landlord might take that into consideration.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
If you got probation and fines, that means you were convicted.

Also, what makes you think those misdemeanors are no longer on your record? They will most certainly appear on an NCIC report.

If you want to comply with the application, you need to list the arrests and the misdemeanor convictions.

If you dont disclose it and they find out, there is no way you are getting the property. If you are honest and explain your hesitation the landlord might take that into consideration.

Normally, I would never consider being dishonest, but I had very stiff competition for renting this house. Unfortunately, I made a mistake of trusting the kids I was with when I was young and too stupid to know what was going on. But guilty by association is still guilty and the record could definitely kick my butt now.

However, I did two extensive searches on paid sites for the NCIC and FBI criminal and court records with my name and information and nationwide nothing came up. Not one thing. Just my mother's home address and things like that came up for public searches. Why do you suppose that is the case?

Also I think I failed to mention the fines were just to pay back the owner for his damages. And the probation wasn't like true probation. I was just supposed to be under 1 year probation and my terms were that if I was arrested for any other crimes my misdimeanors would become felonies under that 1 year probation. I didnt have a probation officer or anythign like that.

FiXXXer024

E13 SVT
Established Member
So you've got a misdemeanor arrest at 17 and you were detained but you never went to court? If you weren't booked, you weren't arrested.

I wouldn't worry about a misdemeanor from 6 years ago, if he's gonna jam you up on that, you don't need him as your landlord, cause he obviously never had a childhood.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
So you've got a misdemeanor arrest at 17 and you were detained but you never went to court? If you weren't booked, you weren't arrested.

I wouldn't worry about a misdemeanor from 6 years ago, if he's gonna jam you up on that, you don't need him as your landlord, cause he obviously never had a childhood.

I agree with you. Thats the best way to think about it. There are other houses to live at, and I certaintly dont need an anal landlord for a year or two. Thanks for the help guys.

FordSVTFan

Established Member

Spoken like someone who isnt a landlord. Landlords want the best, most qualified person to live in their property. If there are two equal candidates, but one has a prior arrest for "destruction of property" with trespassing, guess who isnt going to be living in my property?

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Spoken like someone who isnt a landlord. Landlords want the best, most qualified person to live in their property. If there are two equal candidates, but one has a prior arrest for "destruction of property" with trespassing, guess who isnt going to be living in my property?

Sure, Taken out of context, that sounds bad. But how about the 6 separate places I've lived at, that all have landlords with excellent things to say about me and my early month payments, zero damage, and excellent good mannered person. It all gets thrown out the window even with a huge security deposit offer and good credit, just because of a dumb mistake made at age 17.

But, unfortunately you're right. This guy wants the best canidate for his house. He's met me in person been pleased with me, and yet if i stick this detail on the application im screwed. There are plenty of other places to look at, I still got a month and change to find a place with a person that isnt so critical. Its all good.

ZChaos0026

Established Member
Ok, say you fudge your app...he finds out you fudged your app. he then evicts you...now youre out on the street with no where to live. honesty is the best policy. if you recieved probabtion you were convicted...and you were arrested.

FiXXXer024

E13 SVT
Established Member

You're right, I'm not a landlord. And you're also right that he should want the most responsible candidate living there. That said, my opinion stands. I suppose you're in favor of denying employment to criminal offenders based on ancient offenses too. Nothing should be that black and white. Regardless, your opinions are your own, and I have mine on the matter.
To the OP, there are other places to live kid. Don't get bent out of shape if he denys you, honesty is always the best policy. If you're a responsible adult now and beyond your youthful indiscretions, you shouldn't have a problem landing a decent place.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
But, unfortunately you're right. This guy wants the best canidate for his house. He's met me in person been pleased with me, and yet if i stick this detail on the application im screwed. There are plenty of other places to look at, I still got a month and change to find a place with a person that isnt so critical. Its all good.

That is how I am with my applicants. If you are honest with me and give me notice of any problem I should expect to see, we can work things out. The first time I catch you in a lie, it will be the last time.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
You're right, I'm not a landlord. And you're also right that he should want the most responsible candidate living there. That said, my opinion stands. I suppose you're in favor of denying employment to criminal offenders based on ancient offenses too. Nothing should be that black and white. Regardless, your opinions are your own, and I have mine on the matter.

That is quite a jump there. How do you suppose I am in favor of that or not? Where do you draw that conclusion? From the fact that I want to protect my property and my family's income stream.

You are a newbie to this site and to L.E., you have a lot to learn with both.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
That is how I am with my applicants. If you are honest with me and give me notice of any problem I should expect to see, we can work things out. The first time I catch you in a lie, it will be the last time.

Well, thats good that you have a consideration for honest people, but unfortunately, you aren't my possible landlord. I have competition that will certainly be favored for this house rental, and this guy isnt the considering type. He is a nice guy, but he sees things BLACK AND WHITE. He wants to bend over backwards for me with the garage situation and all the other details that i brought to his attention about the house, but from meeting him in person and several conversations on the phone, ive concluded that this guy is such the nervous overally cautious type, that i dont stand a chance with any kind of record.

I still havent filled out the application yet. I may do so anyway, with an attached letter explaining my situation. I tower over these competing parties financially, but the possible record... that i couldnt find, and the fact that im only 23 hurts me.

Ill let u guys know how it turns out.

Edit: Also, even thought I performed two payed full background checks on myself which gave me NO RECORD what so ever in court records and criminal records, on two separate NCIC and Gov't data places... Is it at all possible, that any of the available LEO's on here could do a full background search on me? I already have decided to be honest, however it would be more comforting to just know, if i even have a record or not. I could provide any information you guys need via PM. And you could tell whatever u found out with a PM as well. Anything you guys could do would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

FiXXXer024

E13 SVT
Established Member
That is quite a jump there. How do you suppose I am in favor of that or not? Where do you draw that conclusion? From the fact that I want to protect my property and my family's income stream.

You are a newbie to this site and to L.E., you have a lot to learn with both.

Whatever guy, typical internet forum moderator mentality.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Whatever guy, typical internet forum moderator mentality.

That is an excellent retort, way not to answer the question.

What happened to the get along brotherhood of LEOs? hahah

I know you guys have completely opposite views, and surprisingly it has helped me out a great deal. You never can make a clear unbiased decision without hearing both sides of the argument, and both of you came up with dam good points.

on another note how come I havent come up with a record in any of my searches?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
on another note how come I havent come up with a record in any of my searches?

Because you are using a service that does not have full access to the necessary databases.

If they are claiming to have full access to NCIC and not a L.E. agency, they are full of crap.

Users who are viewing this thread