for leos about fst's

o4nccobra

another log on the fire
Established Member
is it true that field sobriety tests are almost impossible to pass?
My uncle(RIP) was a sheriff in maine said they were designed to achieve the most possible fail rate? I am not looking for a partcular reason just trying to see if he :bs: ed or not

tons of respect to you all!

sbro712

Established Member
Then he had no idea what he was talking about. Alot of the old heads who do not like arresting drunks say the same thing. Go to nhtsa.gov and do a little research on how the SFSTs were created.

SpeedKillz

Established Member
**removed by moderator** as author requested only L.E.O. answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
o4nccobra said:
is it true that field sobriety tests are almost impossible to pass?
My uncle(RIP) was a sheriff in maine said they were designed to achieve the most possible fail rate? I am not looking for a partcular reason just trying to see if he :bs: ed or not

tons of respect to you all!

Field Sobriety Tests are an indication of impairment. As pointed out they are not Pass/Fail. They either yield positive indications of impairment or they dont.

The tests are neurologic and cognitive based. Being that most if not all impairment (whether from alcohol or narcotics, etc.) is neural based, the tests give a very accurate indication of impairment.

Also since the officers performing the tests are trained to consider other factors such as physical impairment and previous neural injury/disease, it makes the test more appropriate under the circumstances it is usually performed.

Anyone who is not impaired and does not have a neural deficit should be able to pass a Field Sobriety Test.

Lawman85

Banned
I can pass them sober!!!! FordSVTFan pretty much nailed the answer. We have several clues to look for on each test. We are able to estimate a persons ba level by how many clues we get on the tests, plus what we saw of their driving, etc. When I worked graveyard shift I did fst's alot, on say, one out of 5 cars. If I smelled a hint of alcohol and had them for a good moving violation, i.e. speeding, stop sign, etc. I did the tests. I had quite a few people pass them, so I know they are passable.

Morningstar908

Established Member
All things considered... Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus never lies. (the test where you follow an object with your eyes)

-Morningstar908

Users who are viewing this thread