For Cali LEOs - Cost of ticket for running red light?

5point0guy

Established Member
Hey guys I'm just trying to get a few answers on how much a ticket usually costs for running a red light in California. About a month ago my gf and a few of her friends went to Modesto for a concert. She's not very familiar with the area and when she was looking for a place to park she got distracted and ran through an intersection while the light turned red. An officer on a motorcycle caught her and pulled her over. He gave her a ticket then let her go. She wasn't speeding, she was doing about 30 in a 35. Today, a paper came in the mail saying the cost of the ticket is $455.00. I was dumbfounded by it. Also, she has a clean driving record (been driving for 3 years) and has up-to-date insurance and registration. I'm just wondering if $455 is a normal cost for a ticket for running a red light? It seems extremely high to me. Thank you.

Last edited:

5point0guy

Established Member
Ok, thanks I appreciate it, I'm going to check out that site. Another question, shes decided to go to traffic court and I'm wondering does she have to inform anyone before she shows up on her court date on Sept. 22? Or does she just show up on that day?

Krwy

Established Member
Sounds about right. She needs to pay attention though. This is a good lesson, they should raise the penalty on red light tickets. Imagine if she killed someone walking across the street while she ran the red.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Ok, thanks I appreciate it, I'm going to check out that site. Another question, shes decided to go to traffic court and I'm wondering does she have to inform anyone before she shows up on her court date on Sept. 22? Or does she just show up on that day?

If the ticket has a court date listed she only has to show up, but she may want to call the court and let them know she is contesting it. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread