For an aspiring car guru...

Panturia

Just some kid
Established Member
Nearly everything I learned and know about cars was from reading things on the internet, watching my dad wrench on his stuff, and doing some things to the Mustangs I've had/have with my dad. That being said, I'd say I'm above average on my car knowledge, but there is still so much more I want to learn such as engine, drivetrain and suspension specifics. However, I don't have the money to go out and buy a "project car" to mess around with and I'd rather not practice anything on the Cobra. That doesn't guarantee I'll learn anything either.

What I'm asking is, for the guys out there that know cars inside and out - including motors - what's some of the best ways to learn, books to read, etc?

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Nearly everything I learned and know about cars was from reading things on the internet, watching my dad wrench on his stuff, and doing some things to the Mustangs I've had/have with my dad. That being said, I'd say I'm above average on my car knowledge, but there is still so much more I want to learn such as engine, drivetrain and suspension specifics. However, I don't have the money to go out and buy a "project car" to mess around with and I'd rather not practice anything on the Cobra. That doesn't guarantee I'll learn anything either.

What I'm asking is, for the guys out there that know cars inside and out - including motors - what's some of the best ways to learn, books to read, etc?

HAYNES MANUAL! Seriously man, get it. It will save you sooo much stress. It is a complete piece by piece, part by part tear down of your car with exact descriptions and specs. It has pictures to follow. I bought one and I feel as if I am the one who designed my car haha

Panturia

Just some kid
Established Member
HAYNES MANUAL! Seriously man, get it. It will save you sooo much stress. It is a complete piece by piece, part by part tear down of your car with exact descriptions and specs. It has pictures to follow. I bought one and I feel as if I am the one who designed my car haha

Thanks, I'll check into it! Only thing is, I'm looking for universal car knowledge as well, not just my car specifically.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Thanks, I'll check into it! Only thing is, I'm looking for universal car knowledge as well, not just my car specifically.

... buy one for every car:shrug:. Haha just kidding. The way I found best to get knowledge of other cars is to just mix it up at car meets and stuff with the people who aren't obnoxious. Not everyone that drives an import is a whiny ricer, so that is how I learned about imports :banana:Also getting on the good side of a reputable performance mechanic. That way you can just call them with any dumb question and it will be answered. That's what I have done.

Last edited:

insane99svt

Established Member
Experience is best I have been helping the guy thats building my engine and I have learned more in a few days than my whole engine class at the community college

Panturia

Just some kid
Established Member
Experience is best I have been helping the guy thats building my engine and I have learned more in a few days than my whole engine class at the community college

I hear that! I'm a whiz when it comes to computers and it's all because of experience. I read some things here and there but most everything I know is because I ripped apart computers and put them back together, along with countless hours of figuring out how things worked by trial and error sort of methods. Unfortunately it's not that easy with cars when you don't have the means.

f2hatch

Established Member
Learn By Working On Everybody Elses Car. That Way When You Work On Your Car You Will Know More About What You Are Doing.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
if you wanna learn about it, books, internet and talking to people, but if you wanna learn how to, no better way than to do it

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
haynes sucks, they skip steps a lot of the time, i remember when the first time i tried to pull the engine out of my jeep, they went from - make sure nothing is connected to the engine - to - once you have the engine lifted, you can pull it out of the engine bay. The worst was the transmission to engine bolts, I spend 3 weekends trying to unbolt them and that completely useless manual just skipped it, guess the writers didn't know how to do it either...

Buy the real service manual...

also just hang out online and read posts and ask questions.

Meets suck too, most people if you go to an import meet and ask what VTEC is, they cant give you the real answer, they just say its a valve in the intake or its a valve that opens for more power they dunno how it works, what it does, and why it works. Im curious and if i don't know those 3 things, i feel stupid. WHAT HOW WHY, if anything, people just know the WHAT to things.

Got Boost?

Established Member
if you wanna learn about it, books, internet and talking to people, but if you wanna learn how to, no better way than to do it

+1000

can only learn so much from books and such. i knew alot when i got my fox, but i know atleast 2x as much after being through all the stuff ive had to do to it. yeah...i knew how a motor went together and such. but when i actually did it it took forever because i lacked the experience. also when it comes to things like - "where do i put the silicon?" "what do i do if my oil pump shaft is disengaged?" for example. those are things you dont read and then have to figure out yourself.

def. no substitute for real hands on experience. i remember it took my like 2.5 hours to get my intake off my 5.0 first time i ever spun a wrench on it. now thats like a 30 minute job.

dont get me wrong, internet and book are a great source - ive learned probably 90% of my knowledge from them. however, when it comes to the proper execution and completing things efficiently hands on experience is the only way to go.

dont be afraid to tear into your cobra, just dont get in over your head. start small. mid-pipe, CAI, pulley swap, etc. then work your way up - HE, shifter, etc. before you know it you wont think twice about pulling a S/C or yanking a trans.

however, the easiest cars to work on are the 5.0's. if you cant afford a full car to play with buy a junkyard motor or something. can get 5.0 motors for like $300 - put that on an engine stand and pull it apart, and put it back together. you'll be surprised how much that can teach you.

Last edited:

insane99svt

Established Member
I am sure there is a shop or some friends you know that are doing this kind of thing just go and watch if they don't care just don't ask to many questions they start to get a little irritated.

And look at these ASE questions and search the net find the answers and why it is that way some times the ASE answers are not right that I am pretty sure a mechanic didn't make up some of the dumb $***T they ask but most of them can help.

http://www.buymitchell1.com/questions/index.htm

Panturia

Just some kid
Established Member
+1000

can only learn so much from books and such. i knew alot when i got my fox, but i know atleast 2x as much after being through all the stuff ive had to do to it. yeah...i knew how a motor went together and such. but when i actually did it it took forever because i lacked the experience. also when it comes to things like - "where do i put the silicon?" "what do i do if my oil pump shaft is disengaged?" for example. those are things you dont read and then have to figure out yourself.

def. no substitute for real hands on experience. i remember it took my like 2.5 hours to get my intake off my 5.0 first time i ever spun a wrench on it. now thats like a 30 minute job.

dont get me wrong, internet and book are a great source - ive learned probably 90% of my knowledge from them. however, when it comes to the proper execution and completing things efficiently hands on experience is the only way to go.

dont be afraid to tear into your cobra, just dont get in over your head. start small. mid-pipe, CAI, pulley swap, etc. then work your way up - HE, shifter, etc. before you know it you wont think twice about pulling a S/C or yanking a trans.

however, the easiest cars to work on are the 5.0's. if you cant afford a full car to play with buy a junkyard motor or something. can get 5.0 motors for like $300 - put that on an engine stand and pull it apart, and put it back together. you'll be surprised how much that can teach you.

You basically just summed it up for me. I like to read books to have the knowledge when I actually get my hands dirty. I've helped with things such as CAI, exhaust installation, and even a tranny swap, I'm just looking for more knowledge about everything overall. My uncle has a body shop and I think I'm going to ask him if I can get a motor out of some junk car to tear down and rebuild; he's a Mustang guy, I can possibly even get a 5.0. :)

Thanks for the words.

Users who are viewing this thread