for all you blown guys

Oncebitten99'

Green & Mean
Established Member
got a question? when yall installed your superchargers, how long did you go before getting a tune? Im asking because when i get the kb 5psi kit i know that it comes with a chip and all, but do you think i will be good with just that for a little while or will i eventually need a tune? any info would be greatly appreciated:??:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
at least get the tune checked on the dyno immediately.

Id probably get it dyno tuned immediately anyway, but if you don't want to spend the money, make sure you check it out.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
please please please do not waste your money ont he 5psi kit....just get the intercooled kit and be done with it

KBs tunes are pretty good for a canned tune...but i am huge fan of a good dyno/street tune

to answer your question plan to check your tune ASAP after the install just to make sure everything is ok

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Double"O" said:
please please please do not waste your money ont he 5psi kit....just get the intercooled kit and be done with it

KBs tunes are pretty good for a canned tune...but i am huge fan of a good dyno/street tune

to answer your question plan to check your tune ASAP after the install just to make sure everything is ok
+1:rockon:

Oncebitten99'

Green & Mean
Established Member
how much am i looking at money wise as far as a tune goes? ive never really been through that. the guy i bought it from had it tuned, but i dont really know much about how to go about doing it or price wise.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Oncebitten99' said:
how much am i looking at money wise as far as a tune goes? ive never really been through that. the guy i bought it from had it tuned, but i dont really know much about how to go about doing it or price wise.

being that you will already have an SCT 4bank via the KB kit i would say anywhere from 200-400 bucks

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Oncebitten99' said:
most places i have checked seem to be in the range of $150/hour. mine took about 1.5 hours for reference....

for your original question, definitely get it tuned right away. i personally wouldn't even get into a single pound of boost until it's tuned right. i drove my car for about a 15 min. cruise through town and a stretch of highway. never above 3k rpms and stayed in vacuum the entire time. just making sure it ran right. the next day i drove it to the dyno.

01 Venom

Established Member
Ya it cost me $450 for my tune, but I only needed two full pass pulls for it to dial in.

With our kind of soft bottom ends, you want to make sure everything is right before you drive it hard. Get it on the dyno and get a good custom tune.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Oncebitten99' said:
Seriously..you will save yourself a HUGE headache if you take the advice in here.

get teh I/C kit. The cheap internals will do best with the intercooler.
Get teh tune as soon as you can. I would make an appt. for the day after you finish install if you can. That iwll give you a day to work out any kinks you might have.

And thirdly...get the I/C kit....wait, already said that. :lol:

01 Venom

Established Member
Ya man I dont know why people buy the 5 PSI cheap kit, if youre gonna do it go with the intercooler much safer.

01 Venom

Established Member
I meant cheap as in the sence its not really worth the money I guess is what I meant to say. They are both alot of $$$ which is why I didnt go that way.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
quadcammer said:
I wouldn't really qualify either kit as cheap. KBs are pricey as hell

they ain't cheap thats for sure

mine was $6758 shipped to my door...i get a discount though because i am military...OP your lookin at 7k shipped

01 Venom

Established Member
Double "O" I love your kit, I think its awesome makes great power and can scale, but damn that is some serious loot for that.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
01 Venom said:
Double "O" I love your kit, I think its awesome makes great power and can scale, but damn that is some serious loot for that.

yeah my wife still brings that up LOL

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
the reason behind the price is you are getting alot of OEM 03 Cobra parts....we all know about Fords prices and the Cobra tax

RoyWoods

Established Member
quadcammer said:
I wouldn't really qualify either kit as cheap. KBs are pricey as hell

Not cheap, but worth EVERY penny.

To respond to various other comments:
1) Get the Intercooled Kit. Don't even think about not getting it.
2) Realistically, you're looking at $10K when all is said and done.
3) Go to the dyno as soon as you get it installed.
4) Don't mess with the tune KB writes. Yes it's conservative, but any gains from a tune someone else writes you will be minimal, and why take a chance. Besides, since you don't have a built motor, you don't need any more power than their tune will give you.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^^ i picked up 60RWHP from ditching KB tune...on 1 degree less timing
A/F adjustment from 10.3s to 11.0s

The power came from de-sensitizing the knock sensors...we didn't turn them off...we just turned them down alittle

Then again my kit was one of the first ones out, i am sure they have the tunes lookin pretty good these days

Users who are viewing this thread