For all the engineers...

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I get a PM every week or two from prospective or current engineering students asking general questions about the degree, career opportunities, etc. After spending a good bit of time on this particular response, I wanted to share it with the rest of yall. The questions addressed were:

How is it working in the real world of engineering? What opportunities are available? Do you like what you do? Etc.

The more I work, the more I find that "engineering" is about as broad as business, as far as opportunities and job descriptions go. I'm an applications/design engineer; I design and modify parts to fit customer specific applications, including pressure, weight, loading, environment, and fitment with existing parts and tools. My boyfriend is a field engineer; he designs procedures for and oversees offshore oil equipment installation. I worked an internship as a manufacturing engineer, solving problems and improving efficiency on an assembly line.

The best advice I can offer is to work as many internships, coops, apprenticeships, research assistant positions, etc as you can. Experience as many different kinds of engineering as possible. I'm not talking about Chem E, Electrical E, etc., I'm talking about manufacturing, projects, design, R&D, field, whatever you can find. Work experience is by far the most vital key to getting a job post graduation. Don't sweat your GPA - mine wasn't exactly stellar, but with 1.5 years work experience at graduation I was getting calls from all over the place for possible positions.

Automotive engineering is boring. You have to be very well connected or very lucky to end up with someone like Team Mustang or GM Performance Division; otherwise, you end up designing turn signal switches for 25 years in one of the most depressed areas of the US (Michigan). Roush and Steeda both have internship programs, so check their websites. If you can get a foot in the door there, awesome, otherwise look elsewhere for jobs. I would recommend the petroleum industry; it's not the most interesting, but it pays the best, and for engineers it's usually fairly stable.

Decide early where you want to end up living, it will define the field you should go into.

Be prepared for little to no social life, classes that make you hate your life, tests you'll score a 32 on and get a C, single homework problems that take 8 hours to work. But remember that the average starting salary for an ME is one of the highest in the nation, and unless you become a structural engineer for Lockheed Martin, odds are you won't have to know most of what you learn. The biggest thing you will take out of school is not how to solve a 3-degree of freedom vibrations problem, or how to calculate the efficiency of an Otto cycle. You will learn how to think, how to trouble shoot and solve a problem. That's the core of being an engineer.

Do I like what I do? Yes, I actually do. I like being able to look at a list of requirements and make something work. I like looking at a drawing and understanding the loads, stresses, assembly processes, and machining steps required.

Buy a TI-89. Learn it, love it. It will be your best friend in school. And always carry spare batteries.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Another question...

I'm a junior in mechanical engineering, and I'm looking to get an internship...

What kind of things should go in the resume, and be discussed during the interview process? Thanks

Any work experience you have should go on the resume. Also, any major school projects you've been assigned or volunteered for (like helping with a Formula SAE team or something along those lines) Definitely list CAD experience if you have it, and depending on the job you're applying for you may want to bring examples of your work.

The hardest on-the-spot questions I had were along the lines of, what is the hardest project/problem (ie school assignment) you've had to overcome, and how did you do so? They basically want to test your problem solving/thinking skills.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
sweet... subscribing. As soon as I finish my Business degree I am going to get an Engineering degree.

stangin99

Established Member
Some good advice, albeit catered to ME's. Although I'm sure there are more of you guys on SVTP than any other engineer.

Cobra-O

Established Member
Buy a TI-89. Learn it, love it. It will be your best friend in school. And always carry spare batteries.

I have to disagree with this. Only way to go with the calculator is the reverse polish HP line. I've got an old HP 48G and it is awesome. Once you master the RP method, there is no going back. I could punch in those long drawn out calculations and have the answer in half the time it took my friends. Just personal choice.

Also, I'm in the auto industry, went to school at night in Southfield, Michigan for 7 years to get my BSME. It was hell. I only took one summer off, otherwise, I was in school 10 months a year, at night. I had one class that didn't even start until 10pm. Every weekend was studying with friends, every night was classes. Cram, Cram, Cram was the way I got through it. I would not be able to do 70% of what I could back then now. Plus side was I had 7 years hands on automotive engineering experience when I graduated. This played a huge roll in my career. Also, my company paid for my schooling. Another huge plus.

Another thing, take the EIT, or FE exam right out of school. When I graduated, they didn't even talk about this test. No one I graduated with took, or even knew about the test. Now I have to try to get grandfathered out of it so I can take my PE exam, which I am dreading.

Last edited:

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member

:lol1: I can't find mine and I've been going crazy ripping my house apart.

TI-89, Excel, thumb drives, endless supplies of mechanical pencils...

I agree with Hybred entirely. People get into Engineering thinking they'll work some glamorous job when they get out. Engineering is a long drawn out process and it's important to get as much work experience as possible.

ChrisRedGT

Established Member
I would second the need for internships/summer jobs etc. And get them as soon as possible. Even as a Freshman. Make sure they know who you are. I've hired 3 of the co-ops that I had over the last 19 years and make strong recommendations on 6 or more to colleagues that led to hires. Don't be the guy/gal in the corner no one remembers after your term!

In school, don't be afraid to ask for help. Yes you were probably one of the smartest people in high school, but this is different. Find/create a study group. Take advantage of the TAs and office hours.

This is also the beginning of your professional network. While you may not ever work with these people again, if you make an impression on them and keep in touch they may be the route to a job, even 10+ years later. So the more people you know the better. Even in other engineering groups and the computer science groups.

Finally for the guys: Be prepared to be ignored by the opposite sex until the end of Junior year or so. Then it sinks in that you guys are going to be making many times what the vast majority of the other people in the school are upon graduation (and generally aren't douche bags) and they start looking for their husbands. Sorry, but this is true. Ask around with the senior's in Engineering or CS and they'll agree.

(Yes I know Hybred is a woman. ;-)

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Good advice, you know I'm in engineering as well :beer:

I have a good friend who is a petroleum engineer up in Alaska, I can attest to it paying well. He graduated 2 years ago from Montana Tech and started making over 100k a year.

ChrisRedGT

Established Member
One more thing: get your LinkedIn profile going now.

That way as you meet interesting people either in school or the internships you can 'friend' them. So when they think 'I think Jane from sophomore year would be good for this job' they know exactly how to find you.

Chris

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
IThis is also the beginning of your professional network. While you may not ever work with these people again, if you make an impression on them and keep in touch they may be the route to a job, even 10+ years later. So the more people you know the better. Even in other engineering groups and the computer science groups.

This is absolutely true. The job I have now was obtained through one of my professors. If anything happens here, I have a research position I could return to and get full sponsorship for a Masters from another of my professors. I have friends/former classmates I keep in touch with working for client companies, supplying companies, and competitors. If one of us got laid off or wanted a better opportunity, I have a foot in the door in just about every major oil service company in Houston. Engineering in general is a "who you know" business.

And yes, this man speaks the truth about women. I can recall working with maybe 5 in 4 years of school. One guy in my entire study group had a girlfriend.

As for RPN, I find the TI-89's ability to solve differential equations, perform integrations, and program in frequently used formulas to be more useful than simply being able to enter calculations quickly. Yes, I have used an RPN calculator. No, I don't think it's the best thing for engineering. Oh yeah, and you can save notes and important formulas that come in handy on the tests ;-)

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Pick-A-Prof. If it is available at your school, it is 150% worth the $5 a semester. Research professors by grade average, fail rate, and student rankings. This website made my last three years much better.

Cobra-O

Established Member
Engineering in general is a "who you know" business.

As for RPN, I find the TI-89's ability to solve differential equations, perform integrations, and program in frequently used formulas to be more useful than simply being able to enter calculations quickly. Yes, I have used an RPN calculator. No, I don't think it's the best thing for engineering. Oh yeah, and you can save notes and important formulas that come in handy on the tests ;-)

Yeah, to each their own, but we never got into the programming side of the calculators. I guess just the way my mind works, it is better with the stacking RPN style. Once I learned it, I could not go back to a standard calculator.

You are 1000% correct about "who you know". Not only in business, but in school too. We saved a lot of time in school by knowing the right people. This helped us getting in the right classes, with the right professors. There is nothing worse than the wrong professor. Teaching methods will have a lot to do with your success in school. I had a couple of terrible professors.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
TI89 was the best investment ever. The professor websites are nice for regular classes, but I went to a school with 8k people. Went from 46 EE freshman year to graduating with 11. We didn't have any options for most classes on profs.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I going to school rite now for mechanical engineering. I live in new jersey now but want to relocate after school. How is the job outlook in texas? alot of engineering positions? also what is the average starting salary for a mechanical engineer in texas?

Job outlook in Texas is good so long as oil doesn't drop too low, as most engineering positions (at least in Houston) are oil field related. There's also positions in the aerospace industry (Lockheed, NASA) and manufacturing (Toyota, GM, Peterbilt) Average starting salary depends on the school you go to. For Texas A&M, where I went, the avg for graduating students, most of whom stayed in Texas, was 59k. National avg is around 52k, but depending on area as a whole it ranges from mid-30s to mid-50s. Hopefully you still have a few years left, because right now with the economy most companies I know of are on hiring freezes, and some are even starting to go through layoffs. Also, while you're still in school, I would strongly recommend taking some technical writing courses. Clear, correct written communication, including proper grammar, is a must for an engineer. For example, although I'm a design engineer, I also have to write installation procedures for the parts I design. If I don't write them well, our clients will have issues installing my parts. Just something to look into.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
((PM sent in late November))

Hey, did you do any internships while in college? What were they and when did you do them?

Id like to do one this summer but i really dont have anything to bring to the table Im still doing general stuff like math and physics. The only thing i really can do is autocad, solid works etc from my cad class i took.

Also, my gpa is not the hottest either.

I did two internships and a co-op during college; the first two were with Peterbilt in Denton and the co-op was with Toyota in San Antonio. I got the Peterbilt internship my first year at A&M, (technically my 3rd year of school) so my GPA wasn't well established at A&M. I interned with them again the next summer. Toyota hired me because of my previous experience; by then, my GPA had taken a pretty hard hit, but I had the experience. Both jobs I got through our career fairs.

CAD experience will really help you, but you may have trouble, especially this late in the year. I interviewed with Peterbilt in early November and had an offer before winter break.

...Well its only my 2nd year in college so i was trying to figure out if this summer would be to soon. At our career fair almost everyone wanted jr or sr status, so like you did in your third year....

It's never too soon to do an internship. If you manage to finish your degree in 4 years (took me 6) that's only 3 summers to get experience, if you don't find a co-op. I would definitely be looking/applying for jobs ASAP. And remember, you're not limited to whoever recruits at your school; every major company you can think of has internship programs you can apply for on your own - even companies like Steeda and Roush. Just do searches on whoever you want to work for and find their Careers page; if there's an internship available, apply - you have nothing to lose. Apply to as many places as you can find.

I worked with Freshmen interns. It does happen. And those guys are at the top of the heap the next summer when everyone else starts looking for internships because they already have both experience and the possibility for a repeat internship.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Reverse Polish Notation is handy, interesting, even; but not necessary. Yes, you can get answers faster on some problems, but in the end you get the right answer if you do the problem correctly.

Jim Snover

I have to disagree with this. Only way to go with the calculator is the reverse polish HP line. I've got an old HP 48G and it is awesome. Once you master the RP method, there is no going back. I could punch in those long drawn out calculations and have the answer in half the time it took my friends. Just personal choice.

Also, I'm in the auto industry, went to school at night in Southfield, Michigan for 7 years to get my BSME. It was hell. I only took one summer off, otherwise, I was in school 10 months a year, at night. I had one class that didn't even start until 10pm. Every weekend was studying with friends, every night was classes. Cram, Cram, Cram was the way I got through it. I would not be able to do 70% of what I could back then now. Plus side was I had 7 years hands on automotive engineering experience when I graduated. This played a huge roll in my career. Also, my company paid for my schooling. Another huge plus.

Another thing, take the EIT, or FE exam right out of school. When I graduated, they didn't even talk about this test. No one I graduated with took, or even knew about the test. Now I have to try to get grandfathered out of it so I can take my PE exam, which I am dreading.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
IAutomotive engineering is boring. You have to be very well connected or very lucky to end up with someone like Team Mustang or GM Performance Division; otherwise, you end up designing turn signal switches for 25 years in one of the most depressed areas of the US (Michigan).

wow, that is entirely false! :bash:

The detroit area is only a miniscule part of the automotive industry. Its not the 70s anymore. :nonono: For every automotive company out there are 100x more companies that supply to them. And automotive engineers work on more than just passenger cars.

industrial equipment (cranes, dozers, mining trucks, loaders, excavators)
defense contractors (tanks, APCs, mobile artillery)
transportation (semi-trucks, locomotives, passenger trains)
industrial engines (heavy duty diesels, gas turbines, marine engines, gensets)
agricultural equipment (tractors, mowers, combines, skidders, harvesters)
recreational/powersports (atvs, dirtbikes, motorcycles, scooters, snowmobiles)
motorsports (Nascar, NHRA, IHRA, IRL, F1..etc)

Not to mention that automotive/industrial type companies are closely tied with aerospace as well. Get on with a large corporation like John Deere, Caterpilar or Parker Hannifin and you could easily change jobs every 5yrs for an entire career without ever losing seniority/benefits. Alot more to it than just working on the same part for 25yrs, trust me. :sleeping:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
:lol1: I can't find mine and I've been going crazy ripping my house apart.

TI-89, Excel, thumb drives, endless supplies of mechanical pencils...

^^good pointers.

Microsoft excel is invaluable, I was never a fan of graphing calculators. Also if you are currently getting your BS in mechanical engineering make sure you learn multiple CAD packages (AutoCad, Pro-E, Solidworks) before you graduate. :bash: If classes aren't offered just buy the student versions online. They are about $150 and the tutorials are easy :thumbsup:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
wow, that is entirely false! :bash:

The detroit area is only a miniscule part of the automotive industry. Its not the 70s anymore. :nonono: For every automotive company out there are 100x more companies that supply to them. And automotive engineers work on more than just passenger cars.

industrial equipment (cranes, dozers, mining trucks, loaders, excavators)
defense contractors (tanks, APCs, mobile artillery)
transportation (semi-trucks, locomotives, passenger trains)
industrial engines (heavy duty diesels, gas turbines, marine engines, gensets)
agricultural equipment (tractors, mowers, combines, skidders, harvesters)
recreational/powersports (atvs, dirtbikes, motorcycles, scooters, snowmobiles)
motorsports (Nascar, NHRA, IHRA, IRL, F1..etc)

Not to mention that automotive/industrial type companies are closely tied with aerospace as well. Get on with a large corporation like John Deere, Caterpilar or Parker Hannifin and you could easily change jobs every 5yrs for an entire career without ever losing seniority/benefits. Alot more to it than just working on the same part for 25yrs, trust me. :sleeping:

That was directed towards all the Mustang enthusiasts here whose goal in life is to work for Ford. When you hear someone say "I want to be an automotive engineer," how many honestly mean "I want to design John Deere tractors?" They don't; they want to work for GM, Dodge, Ford, etc.

I know personally a number of automotive engineers who work or worked for Ford, Honda, Toyota, and GM. What I said is entirely true. My mentor at Toyota had just left Honda because he spent 8 years designing air bag covers and was bored and tired of it. A friend's mentor at Ford spent 15 years designing headlight housings. I myself worked an internship for Peterbilt, it's no different. They gear somebody into a specialty and that's what they do, whether it's dash design or exhaust routing, until they retire or leave for another company.

Motorsports, as I said, is entirely dependent on extreme luck or good connections. Everything else you mentioned (defense, agriculture, trains, etc) I wouldn't consider automotive in the sense I was implying. Again, most people I've been contacted with on this site start with something along the lines of "I want to work for Ford and design the next Mustang." Go for it; get the degree, go work for Ford, but you will have a slim to none chance of working anywhere near the performance division; you'll most likely end up doing fold-down seats on an Escape.

As for location, the main design centers for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Toyota are all in Michigan. Honda is in Ohio.

So...tell me again how that was entirely false?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread