Fooled around with a Lotus

jason6488

Established Member
To the Lotus driver:
Gorgeous car, looked immaculate.

My version of the events:

Saw a red lotus pulling up behind me on a toll road in mexico. I initially thought it was an older Ferrari. I looked up the car on the internet, pretty sure it was a v8 esprit, 93 or 96 model. I got in the right lane to let traffic pass, hoping he would catch up. When he passed he gave me the thumbs up and I returned the salute, tucking in behind his car. We drove for a mile or so and traffic more or less evaporated ahead of an SUV and a caddy, who were side by side on this two lane toll road.
I don't remember really how the left lane opened up but I took it, pulling ahead of the lotus and exchanging the thumb salute again. He tucked in behind my car and we passed the 2 cars on the right and merged back into the right lane giving us a clear shot of road for at least 3/4 of a mile.

Well you know what two cars like this are gonna do. I down shifted into 3rd at 80 and let the engine hang there for a few seconds, conveying my intentions and then I nailed it. Run was from 80 - 130 in 3rd gear. After he caught up we exchanged the thumb thing again and I took my exit. Overall made for a good start to the morning. My car is a 2014 Shelby, no mods, I have no idea what, if anything was done to his car. Brakes looked aftermarket, not that they helped his acceleration. Car was gorgeous, looked nothing like the tiny little lotus' i'm used to seeing.

4valved

Banned
Those models were the only lotus that came with a 8 cyl motor unloved those ones good kill but I'm not sure they make mods for those cars

imbuggin

Established Member
Those models were the only lotus that came with a 8 cyl motor unloved those ones good kill but I'm not sure they make mods for those cars

I almost bought one once. Pretty sure that V8 in there is a ford if I remeber correct and there are lots of mods to do, but nobody seems to do them. It says all over the engine was developed by lotus...but I still have ford in my head (anyone know). The reason I never got one is they seem to spend more time in the shop than on the road. Sweet cars though.

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
It is actually A 32 valve 3.5-litre twin turbo V8 with 349 hp, 2800 lbs curbweight, and developed by Lotus not Ford. About as quick in a straight line as the new 5.0, which was pretty quick for it's time.
I would expect a 13+ GT500 to absolutely destroy any stock Lotus in a straight line...
My father had a 93 Lotus Esprit Turbo S4 which was almost as quick. It was fun and nice looking but a real money pit.

Last edited:

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
You would be surprised how many people mod lotus'. My company sells a couple of supercharger kits for them and we send out maybe 1 every week or two. Alot of people overseas order them. They rule the road courses when modded.

I love them but whats scary about driving them is that everyones bumper is above your line of sight. You pull up next to a f350 and u can see under it. Its a wake up call to if you get in an accident you are toast. Also zero interior and an ac system thats notorious for going bad quick make it useless for anything but racecar.

Last edited:

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
You would be surprised how many people mod lotus'. My company sells a couple of supercharger kits for them and we send out maybe 1 every week or two. Alot of people overseas order them. They rule the road courses when modded.

I love them but whats scary about driving them is that everyones bumper is above your line of sight. You pull up next to a f350 and u can see under it. Its a wake up call to if you get in an accident you are toast. Also zero interior and an ac system thats notorious for going bad quick make it useless for anything but racecar.

Wrong kind of Lotus. The Elise with its Toyota 2.4 is pretty heavily supported in the aftermarket, but the Espirit was very low volume and pretty high dollar.

turd burglar

Established Member
Good kill op. The title lead me to believe that you had a run in with an Asian hooker, which in itself would have been an interesting story as well.

jason6488

Established Member
lol thanks. I did have a run in with an asian hooker, I posted it on another forum though. Never seen a woman pick up a beer bottle like that... In all seriousness thanks for the 'good kills'. It definitely wasn't an Elise, those are fairly common around here. In fact yesterday on the way to lunch I saw 1, those things are so small. My awesomeness yesterday was short lived. I punked myself against an M5 that was goosing the throttle yesterday at me. I goosed back. I forgot to turn traction control off. :bash: He casually pulled ahead of me and put on his emergency lights. Ass. He just better watch out for next time. Honestly there was no where to go though, wouldn't have been safe... Short little burnout at 45 would have been nice though. You know Ford needs to put a button in these things that makes the car go full on awesome. It could be the 'Fords-honor-is-at-stake' button. You just push it, the injectors dump copious amounts of fuel into the engine, the electronic nannies go silent and it grenades after a 1/4 mile. Yeah it blew up but I got the job done!

i8urSS

Established Member
It could be the 'Fords-honor-is-at-stake' button. You just push it, the injectors dump copious amounts of fuel into the engine, the electronic nannies go silent and it grenades after a 1/4 mile. Yeah it blew up but I got the job done!

Now I wish everything in my life had this button.

imbuggin

Established Member
It is actually A 32 valve 3.5-litre twin turbo V8 with 349 hp, 2800 lbs curbweight, and developed by Lotus not Ford. About as quick in a straight line as the new 5.0, which was pretty quick for it's time.
I would expect a 13+ GT500 to absolutely destroy any stock Lotus in a straight line...
My father had a 93 Lotus Esprit Turbo S4 which was almost as quick. It was fun and nice looking but a real money pit.

You know why I think I had ford stuck in my head is because I had seen a few people swap the stock engines for cobra ones back in the day. I don't know if they were swapping out a v8 model or the ealier 4 but saw a couple people do it.

I think its still the only car that car turn into a submarine when needed:beer: Thats when my love for lotus began 007.:bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread