Followup to dangerous speeding

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
I want to get a couple of things straight before people start responding to this thread. I value everyone's input but do not want to turn this into a gong show for the LEO's who read and answer this, so please keep it on topic.

Additionally, this may have been covered before so I apologize if that is the case. I'm mainly curious about my local area, so without further ado, here is a rundown of what I witnessed today;

Myself and the wife went for a drive in western Alberta in the King Ranch, and were headed back to home on a two lane highway (each lane opposing directions). Before I turned onto this aforementioned highway, a semi hauling a fuel tanker turned onto it before me. I knew he was going to be slower but I didn't care. I followed him for about 2 kilometers until the other vehicles started to line up behind me. I actually considered pulling off to let the convoy pass as I felt uncomfortable for some reason. The road varies in elevation constantly, plus visibility and passing opportunities are scarce. I knew I did not have enough power to pass him safely so I just let it be. I was getting more uncomfortable with the people behind me. Roughly five vehicles, an Audi directly behind me who seemed content, a Sierra (reg cab gasser) towing a boat and then some other vehicles. A white power stroke was last in line.*

The road dipped down into a coulee and I see the white power stoke belching soot and it rips by all the vehicles and me, and barely makes it infront of the semi. I didn't mind as he seemed to have it under control however it sounded like his mud terrain tires were on the verge of failure. At this point we are heading up a rather steep grade, and I see the Sierra with the boat wound out trying to make the pass. I'm crapping bricks at this point as I can see the top of then hill and he is just passing my rear bumper, makes it past me and 3/4 past the semi and I see an oncoming forerunner crest the hill, so the semi jabs the brakes and so do I, he darts in front of him with the trailer swaying violently and the oncoming driver in the shoulder.*

I can't believe how careless people seem to be. I don't mean to preach, but driving that poorly is just blatant disregard for anyone's safety. I have no idea what this person was thinking risking that many lives for no reason... Towing a boat too, how can you be that careless?? Everyone else sans the white psd just accepted the fact we were behind a "slow vehicle" (which was actually doing the speed limit).

I was quite upset but didn't know what I could do. Thats why I was hoping for practical advise from LEO's as to what to do in the future. I would feel quite bad if someone like this hurt someone or killed someone later on in their driving spree, and I didn't do anything about it.*

I couldn't get any specific license info due to the fact he was towing and it was all happening so quickly, so not sure what i could have done.

I am sorry for the long winded post and I don't mean to sound like a Nancy... But i truly felt endangered through no fault of my own.

Thanks everyone

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Yeah, there are idiots all over. Sometimes you just have to let things go or call and give a description of the vehicle and report it as a reckless driver.
Where I work we are constantly getting calls on reckless drivers. A lot of time the end result is an arrest for driving while intoxicated or a drug arrest. Or simply letting them them know to stop being an idiot!
By the way I'm in Berlin Germany and there are idiots over here too! Lol

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Calling it in as a reckless driver with a good description would suffice.

Remember when following a slower vehicle to leave enough room in front of you for the dumbass behind you if they try to pass multiple vehicles and run out of room. It may seem like a slap in the face letting them in but it's better than being involved in an accident.

Sneaky01Snake

Established Member
Calling it in as a reckless driver with a good description would suffice.

Remember when following a slower vehicle to leave enough room in front of you for the dumbass behind you if they try to pass multiple vehicles and run out of room. It may seem like a slap in the face letting them in but it's better than being involved in an accident.

i agree totally. the moron cutting in front of you thinks hes a bada$$ because it was a close call and he avoided it, when in reality it was you being the responsible person not leaving him out to dry. some people will never learn:bash:

theres a kid in my neighborhood (I'm 23 so a "young-adult" haha) who drives a riced out honda civic and drives through the neighborhood with his fart can blasting and on one occasion I have seen him pass a school bus on a double yellow going around a blind turn. He's been a bad seed from the beginning and part of me wishes he would find out the hard way. In a case like this where I witnessed him passing on the double yellow, especially a school bus (granted it wasn't stopped but still), would I just call the police and give them his plate number and explain what I witnessed? Will he get any repercussions, or will they likely just come to his house and tell him that someone reported him passing a bus on a double yellow?

this was a week ago, so I wouldn't report it this time, but this kid is a repeat offender so there's always next time.

Last edited:

00streetfighter

Established Member
i agree totally. the moron cutting in front of you thinks hes a bada$$ because it was a close call and he avoided it, when in reality it was you being the responsible person not leaving him out to dry. some people will never learn:bash:

theres a kid in my neighborhood (I'm 23 so a "young-adult" haha) who drives a riced out honda civic and drives through the neighborhood with his fart can blasting and on one occasion I have seen him pass a school bus on a double yellow going around a blind turn. He's been a bad seed from the beginning and part of me wishes he would find out the hard way. In a case like this where I witnessed him passing on the double yellow, especially a school bus (granted it wasn't stopped but still), would I just call the police and give them his plate number and explain what I witnessed? Will he get any repercussions, or will they likely just come to his house and tell him that someone reported him passing a bus on a double yellow?

We get lots of reckless driver calls as well. If we find the vehicle or if the RP provides a good plate we will always contact the driver or R/O.

Depending on the drivers statements and initial contact, I will sometimes have the RP (witness/citizen) respond to my location and confirm it was the same vehicle/driver they had seen.

If they confirm it is, I will issue the citation for the section the driver violated and have the citizen sign the citation as the witness. (We have a spot on our cites to have citizens sign them if a LEO did not witness it. Its basically the same as a citizens arrest).

So yes, I would report it and also advise the dispatcher that your willing to sign the ticket as a witness if they locate the driver. Again laws very from state to state, ect, so just ask when you call.

Users who are viewing this thread