Fog light switch mod for 1998 Cobra?

Snagmaster

Established Member
Fog light switch mod for 1998 Cobra?, it works!

I found two videos on utube that had the info on modding the wiring leading to the fog light switch so you could run them without the headlights on.

One done by a bunch of swearing useless tards that hadn't even got to the subject after five minutes and camera work by an epileptic meth head.

The other by some guys that did it right, he swapped places in the connector downstream of the switch with the blue/red wires and the red/black wires, simple and fast.

My question is this: I don't care so much about running the fogs without the headlights as much as I do keeping them on with the high beams.

They do illuminate the road to the sides of the car quite well with the low beams but shut off when you go to high beams, after you mod the wiring do they stay on with the high beams?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

mcaligiuri

Established Member
The guy I bought my car from had them bypassed to run all the time. He used power from cigar lighter to power the fog switch. I re wired it to run off the park lights. Just gotta cut the switched power wire and supply constant 12v and it should be good.

Snagmaster

Established Member
Yes but the way I found means you do zero wire cutting and it takes around 5 minutes total.

I just want them on with the high beams, a useful mod not done for looks.

Guess I'll just do the mod and see what happens, not to put down your idea but the other way is cleaner and I prefer clean.

Thanks for the reply

Snagmaster

Established Member
And it works perfectly, the fog lights can only be switched on when the parking or headlights are on, you can turn them on/ off with the switch and they stay on when you switch to high beams.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal, open the console lid and remove the three rubber lid bumpers from the tray, there are two screws to remove at the front below the two bumpers, wiggle the tray out.

There's a grey male/female 8 wire connector downstream from the fog light switch, pry the retaining ears out and separate the connector, take the male end and it has a red plastic terminal keeper in the center.

There's a little clip on the side of the grey piece where you can push in and up to remove the red piece, there are a blue/red wire and a red/black wire directly across from each other, at the top of the grey piece there are very small tabs on the inner side of the wires.

Be careful as they are tiny, gently push the tops toward the center of the connector and gently pull on the above mentioned wires, they will come out of the connector, swap the blue/red to where the red/black was and vice/versa.

Push them all the way in carefully, make sure they are now as far in the connector as they were, insert the red plastic retainer until it snaps into place, make sure the metal wire terminals didn't shave off any plastic on the way in that would make for a bad connection.

Double check that the top of the grey male connector looks like it did originally and the two swapped wires are at the same level as the rest then snap it back into the female connector.

Hook up the battery and make sure the fog lights work with their switch with the parking/headlamp switch pulled out, put the tray back into the console and you're done.

Cool

Snagmaster

Established Member
This is the video I used. Works great for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4U9qclRGfw

That's the one I mentioned with camera work by a spaz, I guess if that's what you want it's alright.

I used the video by "TKO Resto"

No cutting of wires, reversible, and I wanted them on with the high beams and low beams, this way it's still part of the headlight system and it'll warn you when you leave the lights on like normal.

When you wire them straight to 12v you can leave them on and drain the battery, not the way I did mine, like I said, simple fast and easy.

I hate cars that have been mystery wired, always causes a problem down the road.

But to each his own.

Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread