Fog light "LED"

STACKZ89

Established Member
Hey fellas, I wanna swap out my fog light bulbs for led's. What is a good brand for direct replacement (plug and play)...? I know it's a 5202.. (I'm pretty sure) lol Just curious what everyone else is running! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
I would advice against doing it. Two reasons...

1. LEDs in reflector lenses tend to project the lighting poorly. It ends up as a "bust" of light, lighting up tree tops etc instead of lighting up just the road.

2. Fogs that are too white/blue can reflect against fog, making it more difficult to see in fog. This is why most high end fog lights still have a slight yellow appearance to them.

If you insist though, just go on Ebay and find some Cree kits. Some name brands are simply repackaged generic kits/parts with their name on the box and a huge mark up

Last edited:

c0rn_fed

Established Member
Hey fellas, I wanna swap out my fog light bulbs for led's. What is a good brand for direct replacement (plug and play)...? I know it's a 5202.. (I'm pretty sure) lol Just curious what everyone else is running! Thanks in advance.
I have the diode dynamic XML2 fog lights. I forget if mine r the 4k or 5k. They r bright and I could use them as headlights if they were aimed right.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Zemedici

Established Member
I would advice against doing it. Two reasons...

1. LEDs in reflector lenses tend to project the lighting poorly. It ends up as a "bust" of light, lighting up tree tops etc instead of lighting up just the road.

2. Fogs that are too white/blue can reflect against fog, making it more difficult to see in fog. This is why most high end fog lights still have a slight yellow appearance to them.

If you insist though, just go on Ebay and find some Cree kits. Some name brands are simply repackaged generic kits/parts with their name on the box and a huge mark up

The first comment may hold true to headlights, however not with fogs...sure it'll scatter the light a bit, but Due to the design of fog lamps as well as the bumpers surrounding I find it hard to believe it'll have as severe of an effect as headlights. Fog lights are much more focused, and small in comparison. I've sold thousands of LEDs for fog lights and never had a customer say they were aiming at the sky.

And the color of the bulb has to do with the amount of 'lumens' that the light produces. Same holds true for headlights, not what type of bulb is in the housing. A LED bulb with 5500 lumens will put out just as much light as a HID bulb that puts out 5500 lumens. As the measurement is universal.

Hope this sheds some light.

STACKZ89

Established Member
The first comment may hold true to headlights, however not with fogs...sure it'll scatter the light a bit, but Due to the design of fog lamps as well as the bumpers surrounding I find it hard to believe it'll have as severe of an effect as headlights. Fog lights are much more focused, and small in comparison. I've sold thousands of LEDs for fog lights and never had a customer say they were aiming at the sky.

And the color of the bulb has to do with the amount of 'lumens' that the light produces. Same holds true for headlights, not what type of bulb is in the housing. A LED bulb with 5500 lumens will put out just as much light as a HID bulb that puts out 5500 lumens. As the measurement is universal.

Hope this sheds some light.

I see what u did there lol
Idk if I should go diode dynamics or vleds..?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I installed the 5K VLED's in mine. <<They were the closest color match to the 4.3K oem HID's. They are not exact, but very close. If you do not have HID's, your non-HID headlights will look yellow next to the 5K LED fogs.

005_zps2044dad6.jpg

I also played around with White/Amber switchbacks behind a clear park/turn lens..........

008_zpsyihmnth5.jpg

I kept the clear park/turn lenses in place for a cleaner look, but decided to use an Amber LED only, instead of the White/Amber switchback's.........

004_zpswaxcdfyb.jpg

^^^OEM Amber on Right.............................................Much cleaner looking Clear ^^^ on Left...........

It all kind of fits together..........

R

Last edited:

STACKZ89

Established Member
I've used Diode Dynamics stuff for the taillights and I'm impressed with their products.
I plan on switching every single light for their LEDs.
I ordered the diode dynamics for the fogs last night from LMR, there pretty pricey so I hope they work and last me a while.

greb87

Established Member
I have the diode dynamics LED's and like the look of them, although I'm not so sure how functional they are in "foggy' conditions.

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
any recommendation on getting the whole housing with a good LED/bulb? putting a wrecked car back together and just have the connector for the harness, no fog housings.

thanks
mike

Zemedici

Established Member
I see what u did there lol
Idk if I should go diode dynamics or vleds..?

never saw this. Shit.

I woulda gone with Vled. When I had my 2015 I had ordered some $300 worth of LEDs from DD, and when their switchbacks didnt work worth a ****, I didnt install any of it. I just left it all in the glovebox for the next owner...

I know that since they have revamped their switchbacks some 4 or 5 times, let us know!

Users who are viewing this thread