Fog Chillers

NukeGuard

Established Member
Halloween is just around the corner and this year I've got a haunted maze going on. I purchased a 1000 watt fog machine and now I'm trying to decide on the best design to chill the fog so that it hugs the ground instead of flying everywhere.

Have any of you guys built one? I've looked at using the ice chest version and the garbage can version, but it seems like there is a better way to cool the fog....I just can't figure it out. What I need is something simple and portable with lots of cold surface area.

Any ideas :shrug:

oldmodman

Established Member
Last edited:

NukeGuard

Established Member
I've looked at those designs. I'm trying to figure out if there is another way to get the fog super cold. Dry ice is the only solution I can think of so far.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I'm not sure if you would be able to get it down to a size this small [pressure issues with the machine itself :shrug:] But you could try an aquarium chiller but instead of a refrigerator use dry ice or a salty ice water mixture.

Diagram & Instructions

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Man for a Halloween party I did 2 years ago I bought a 'Low Level' Fog Machine that used ice, along with about 3 gallons of fluid. The machine didn't work at all. :cuss:

Fog Chiller

NukeGuard

Established Member
Yeah, I've heard of a lot of people having trouble with the low lying fog machines. I tested mine today (not a low lying machine) and it fogged up the whole house, lol.

Basically, from what I've read, the key to making an efficient fog chiller is contact area. The quicker you can cool the fog and the colder you can make it, the better the results.

I've thought about using one of the designs floating around and just replacing the regular ice with dry ice, but I'm not sure how long the dry ice will last coming in contact with the hot fog.

The aquarium chiller has my attention, but is more than what I want to spend on building one. The other hurdle to get across would be how to get the fog in to the tubing. The fog fluid requires air upon exiting the nozzle to expand.

Keep the ideas rolling. If all else fails I'll just build one of the existing designs.

NukeGuard

Established Member
Man for a Halloween party I did 2 years ago I bought a 'Low Level' Fog Machine that used ice, along with about 3 gallons of fluid. The machine didn't work at all. :cuss:

Fog Chiller

That's close to the design I have in mind to build right now. The differences are that I'm using a cooler for better insulation. The inlet tube rises above an ice bed. The fog releases in to the "upper chamber". From the pressure of the incoming fog, everything is forced down through the ice bed and through the outlet tube. Basically it has 3 sections. The bottom is open with only the outlet. The middle is the ice bed. The top is sort of an expansion chamber.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Seriously, just find you an old radiator or something and immerse it in a ice/saltwater mixture. Run the fog through it and it should have more than enough surface area to cool it off. If you're concerned about size, use one from a small car like a hyundai or something.

NukeGuard

Established Member
Just take dry ice and pour hot water on it.

I tried that last year in the house. It works great, for about 5-10 minutes, and then you have to add more ice and hot water. It also dissapates quick. This is for a haunted maze out side. I need something that I don't have to check on often and that will hang in the air for awhile.

The radiator idea is something I may look further in to, but how do you keep the radiator chilled? The fog has to be colder than the outside temperature in order for it to lay low to the ground.

Last edited:

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I'd build a small box and line the inside with some thick plastic bags and use that for a container for the liquid and the radiator. Sort of like the design above, but going a little more beyond than the wire tunnel.

Users who are viewing this thread