Focus ST drivers come in!

jrandy

Established Member
I'm considering picking up a Focus ST this weekend and was hoping to get some insight from those that have bought one. I know there are at least a few members here with them.

I will be going Saturday to check them out and drive one.

How do you like it? Anything you wish you would have known before purchasing it?

I appreciate the input.

mysterio

Established Member
Focus ST section in this forum would be the place to ask....

He may not have known it even existed.

Anyway, I could not be happier with mine, it's a terrific DD. It's practical if you have a family or junk to haul, it gets pretty good mileage (I'm averaging 23.x, mostly around town), and it has performance when I want it.

As long as you're realistic about its hp and don't expect Mustang-like performance out of it, it could appeal to many as a DD.

AAG

Established Member
Not an owner, but Ive done alot of research on it since it was high on my next car list. The two reasons I havent bought one is because of the small gas tank size and the epa numbers are very hard to get. Its almost impossible to get the sticker 32 mpg hwy.

Now if fuel consumption is of no concern, this car is just amazing for the price.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I an also thinking of picking one up this year.
How much do these gain with a tune?

Love how they look and a 4 door car is nice.
(I have 3 mustangs) ill probably trade in the sixxer for it.

hockeylover86

Established Member

Anyway, I could not be happier with mine, it's a terrific DD. It's practical if you have a family or junk to haul, it gets pretty good mileage (I'm averaging 23.x, mostly around town), and it has performance when I want it.

As long as you're realistic about its hp and don't expect Mustang-like performance out of it, it could appeal to many as a DD.

23mpg in a small car doesn't sound like a great DD.

blackvette101

Established Member
I know it's not a focus but you may want to check out the fiesta ST. I went to the dealer to drive both and i drove away with the fiesta. It's 50 less hp but 500ish less pounds. It felt exactly the same speed wise and grip wise. But it felt easier to drive at limit (since it oversteers first and no torque steer) and i'm averaging 31 mpg. It also has the touch screen radio controls. I'm 6' 3'' and i fit into both equally but the back seat/trunk in the fiesta is smaller.

not to mention its alittle cheaper. The only problem is no boost gauge and little aftermarket support since it just came out.

Last edited:

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Not an owner, but Ive done alot of research on it since it was high on my next car list. The two reasons I havent bought one is because of the small gas tank size and the epa numbers are very hard to get. Its almost impossible to get the sticker 32 mpg hwy.

Now if fuel consumption is of no concern, this car is just amazing for the price.

I have a 13 ST2 for a DD. A lot of people complain and moan about not getting the epa mpg numbers. There are a lot of factors to consider to get those numbers however. I drive 90% highway on my daily commute, and have gotten 34-37 MPG. Now, that's setting cruise at 65. Anything over 65 it will drop a few MPG, but still easily get 30 MPG's. I have gotten 385 miles a tank on a road trip before. However, my car isn't stock. (Stock I could get 30-32 MPG @ 65) Its been tuned, green filter, and a FMIC. I don't plan on any other mods. I think its a perfect DD. I've crushed a few v6 Camaros and R/T challangers, the look on their face is priceless. The only thing I don't like about the car is the 12 gallon tank and I didn't get a sunroof. Otherwise, you'll be hard pressed to find a similar car with the "exciting factor" to drive daily.

Last edited:

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
I an also thinking of picking one up this year.
How much do these gain with a tune?

Love how they look and a 4 door car is nice.
(I have 3 mustangs) ill probably trade in the sixxer for it.

depends on the tune - 20/30whp - 50/70 wtq. The car feels completely different after its tuned.

Last edited:

jrandy

Established Member
Focus ST section in this forum would be the place to ask....

I didn't even know we had one until I searched. The problem is it doesn't look like a super high traffic area so I figured Roadside would get more hits.

I am looking for something exactly like you are using it for. I gave up on pure performance a while ago and am just looking for a solid, fun DD. Right now I drive about 250 miles per week for work. I am coming from a relatively stock 2002 WRX, so it will have plenty of performance for me.

Fuel isn't a super high priority for me so long as it gets over low 20's MPG. Anything above that is just an added bonus.

I know it's not a focus but you may want to check out the fiesta ST. I went to the dealer to drive both and i drove away with the fiesta. It's 50 less hp but 500ish less pounds. It felt exactly the same speed wise and grip wise. But it felt easier to drive at limit (since it oversteers first and no torque steer) and i'm averaging 31 mpg. It also has the touch screen radio controls. I'm 6' 3'' and i fit into both equally but the back seat/trunk in the fiesta is smaller.

not to mention its alittle cheaper. The only problem is no boost gauge and little aftermarket support since it just came out.

I actually saw one the other day driving around. I didn't know they made them to be honest. I will check them out as well.

I have a 13 ST2 for a DD. A lot of people complain and moan about not getting the epa mpg numbers. There are a lot of factors to consider to get those numbers however. I drive 90% highway on my daily commute, and have gotten 34-37 MPG. Now, that's setting cruise at 65. Anything over 65 it will drop a few MPG, but still easily get 30 MPG's. I have gotten 385 miles a tank on a road trip before. However, my car isn't stock. (Stock I could get 30-32 MPG @ 65) Its been tuned, green filter, and a FMIC. I don't plan on any other mods. I think its a perfect DD. I've crushed a few v6 Camaros and R/T challangers, the look on their face is priceless. The only thing I don't like about the car is the 12 gallon tank and I didn't get a sunroof. Otherwise, you'll be hard pressed to find a similar car with the "exciting factor" to drive daily.

Great input. Thanks!

depends on the tune - 20/30whp - 50/70 wtq. The car feels completely different after its tuned.

:rockon:

Thanks everyone for the input!

Kiohtee

Established Member
As bad as I wanted one over my Civic, they didn't the budget just yet and the mileage was to bad for my commute.

They seem like really fun, solid cars though!

Kiohtee

Established Member
I want one, I just find it hard to pay 30 grand for a Focus...

That's kinda like saying you can't see spending $60K for a GT500. It is, after all, just a Mustang (think V6 secretary's car).

And they can be had for like $27-28K if I'm not mistaken.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
grab a barely used one. just saw one on CL for $26k for an ST3. only 4k miles on it.

a base focus ST is just over a fiesta st. the focus has nicer interior and probably more comfortable to commute in just based on the two platforms alone. if it was strictly for autox than a fiesta st might be better choice but for commuting and more practical use (hauling stuff) id say focus. ive looked at both and you seem to get more for your money with the focus. not that i dislike the fiesta. its a great option as well.

2004Droptop

Established Member
Great DD. As far as mpg I get the epa average for mixed... 26 mixed driving, 75 mph on highway and some stop and go. Never gotten 32 on a highway trip but with that said I never go 55... more like 75. I have noticed the mpg take a big hit when it is really cold, << 32F... but in San Jose you won't have that problem.

Well balance car, okay power, excellent handling. It has enough power to be fun imo, I’’ take the Cobra out if I need the big fix. Recaros can make or break it for a lot of people. I like them. Been on a six hour trip and survived. I like the cloth insert over leather because in NC the summer, majority of the year is pretty warm and sunny… all the leather seat cars I have had I got the sweaty back problem even the IS250 cooled seats weren’t as nice as the cloth when it comes to temperature.

The ~12 gallon tank does suck sometimes on a long trip but I do a weeks commute on it, most of the time.

Another minor thing that could affect some people, a rear facing child seat really makes you scoot the front set forward, so much so I cannot drive with it behind me, I’m 5’10”. My wife grumbles a little bit about it but she is pretty small so she manages.

Pretty sure you can get a used ST2 reasonable, seen them in the very low 20’s. New should be ~25,000 with all the options. I have a ST w/NAV and sun sticker was ~28k

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
They are going for 23,995 here. In dont need a sunroof of the sports seats.
I think its a great deal for what you get.

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
If you look you can find good deals- on the focus ST orum, thers an ST3 with less than 2k for 21k. Zeck ford recently had a ST2 with 14k for 16.5, and a ST3 with 7k for 19.

Users who are viewing this thread