Focus pumps are in!!

Fastford

Established Member
Well I just finished the install of the focus pumps. Fairly easy task... just s little sodering and installing barbed compression fittings and wala. Now its back to the dyno to flaten out that A?F up top... going for 600 hp and 11.6 A/F before I was out of pump at 575. Rail Delta P was going down ad RPM went up.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
What size pumps were they 150 lph or 255 lph? I have heard that both are available for different focuses. I think the 255 lph was a european thing. Any pictures?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Very cool. :beer:
Please keep us posted on the results! The pumps are a definate near future mod for me.

Fastford

Established Member
I am in proccess of building a complet new supply setup for the 03 with the focus pumps #8 supply line and a quick disconnect for the fuel rail. I estimate the cost to be WAY less the the PHP fuel system. 1/2..... the only problem is the pump assembly in the 03 is VERY expensize to buy from ford and I cant get them without the pumps. This kit will include 2 focus pumps installed in mount with modified outlet and y- block for the pumps, #8 line with QD connector . Everything you need to fix up the fuel system.... :beer:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
What about the fuel rails? And that stupid sensor?? :gt:

That will be an interesting fuel rail given the intake tube on the KB. I would like to have a fuel rail that connects driver and passanger sides at the front and rear so that we can stop the 7 and 8 lean issue. The sensor is a necessary evil, I haven't had any problems with mine.

Fastford

Established Member
The problem with 7 and 8 is a volume issue. With new line and pumps you will be able to make a larger increase in power. One I get the prototype done we will test it. The stock rails are good its the delivery that Suck. 5/16's line to the front is not good.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Fastford,
How do you intend to alter the way the PCM deals with the fuel pumps after they are changed. Or do you? If I am not mistaken, the PCM will still see them as the stock pump and when the pressure is above what it expects, it will try to cut them back but will be unable to do so. Their minimum level will be above the stock minimum level.
If am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks,
Dana

mm49

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
Fastford,
How do you intend to alter the way the PCM deals with the fuel pumps after they are changed. Or do you? If I am not mistaken, the PCM will still see them as the stock pump and when the pressure is above what it expects, it will try to cut them back but will be unable to do so. Their minimum level will be above the stock minimum level.
If am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks,
Dana

Yes what Dan said !! :) Maybe Mark (MJCHIP) can jump in with some thoughts on the PCM, FPDM & Focus Pump Conversion.

And Yes some PICs would be great "FASTFORD" thanks !

Jon L

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Coleman,
Lets not jump the gun here. These Focus pumps only provide an additional 25% or so. 190 lph vs. 255 lph I think?
There may still be a need for the BAP.
I know I'm keeping mine for now anyway.
I hope you are right though. One less thing to worry about or to break.
Dana

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
These Focus pumps only provide an additional 25% or so. 190 lph vs. 255 lph I think?
I saw posted somewhere the 03 Cobra pumps were dual 130's? Can anyone confirm exactly what we have?

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
You realize that Focus fuel pumps are one of the most common failed parts on that car. I think you should try a different fuel pump. I think a major failure or a tow in is in your future....just my 2 cents

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The stock pumps are dual 130 lph pumps rated at 90% duty-cycle. I am not sure what the focus pumps are rated at, but have heard 150, 190, and 255 lph from different sources.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Btw, I have been running 17# on the KB for several months now with no BAP and stock injectors without any problems. I believe racerat is also running without a BAP, but she does have 55# injectors.

mm49

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Btw, I have been running 17# on the KB for several months now with no BAP and stock injectors without any problems. I believe racerat is also running without a BAP, but she does have 55# injectors.

How often do you race it or run WOT ? I have back my Boost down to 16lbs from 19-20lbs running a BAP with 55# injectors. Even with stock injectors, Increased Fuel pressure and no BAP I would venture to say that at WOT blast you are very close to max pump duty cycle if not 100%. I know we have talked thru the fuel press. issue before so no intent to flame just be careful as temps drop and power demans go up. I think some of the Fuel issues are arising because more and more cars are hitting the tracks and demanding more with WOT runs. Just my .02 censt worth.

JL

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by mm49
How often do you race it or run WOT ? I have back my Boost down to 16lbs from 19-20lbs running a BAP with 55# injectors. Even with stock injectors, Increased Fuel pressure and no BAP I would venture to say that at WOT blast you are very close to max pump duty cycle if not 100%. I know we have talked thru the fuel press. issue before so no intent to flame just be careful as temps drop and power demans go up. I think some of the Fuel issues are arising because more and more cars are hitting the tracks and demanding more with WOT runs. Just my .02 censt worth.

JL

I run WOT at least once every day. I am holding 60 psi fuel pressure at WOT and my injectors are running at a duty cycle less then stock. My tune was a very conservative 11.5:1 by Patrick at Diablo. I am going to get a dyno this weekend and make sure everything is still cool.

mm49

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I run WOT at least once every day. I am holding 60 psi fuel pressure at WOT and my injectors are running at a duty cycle less then stock. My tune was a very conservative 11.5:1 by Patrick at Diablo. I am going to get a dyno this weekend and make sure everything is still cool.

Next time you dyno check and see what the Pump Duty Cycle is doing off the FPCM. With the stock injectors demand less than 55# injectors that is helping keep the demand down I bet. You definately got a super tune with patrick working on it !!!!

Jon L

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
On my last dyno, the FPD cycle was at 49 at just shy of 500 HP.
With the nitrous, at around 530HP, it was at 50. Maxed out. No more fuel. At that point I had no room to grow. The A/F was still OK at that point, but with any increased load and/or cooler temps coming, it was sure to be a big problem.
These pumps can only support so much HP. HP requires a certain amount of fuel and 550 is about the max on a stock system.
I have since installed a BAP, but have not returned to the dyno yet. I feel that the BAP has given me the head room I need for the moment, but not for long. Can you say "Works"?
Hopefully this new pump setup is the solution I need.

Dana

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by mm49
Next time you dyno check and see what the Pump Duty Cycle is doing off the FPCM. With the stock injectors demand less than 55# injectors that is helping keep the demand down I bet. You definately got a super tune with patrick working on it !!!!

Jon L

I am all for going with a larger fuel system configuration and am sure I need it for longevity and reliability if nothing else. I am just anti the BAP because of how it works. It is over running the pumps by stepping up the line volts which is bad for longevity, reliability, and heat.

Users who are viewing this thread