Focus DCT ever get figured out?

JbeastJ

Established Member
Looking at picking up a 12' focus sel with the dct. Its at 86K miles right now, so hopefully it's already been fixed. From what reviews I've seen online, the transmission is a nightmare.

Did Ford ever figure out a flash on them that prevents them from being junk? Anyone still drive one?

Last edited:

mrlrd1

Established Member
No. It's a design flaw. Until they replace the entire transmission and clutch assembly with a wet clutch, it will never be fixed. Welcome to the new Ford. Everything is based on decades old Volvos, Mazda, and Euro influenced wannabe BMWs. The only decent quality no bullshit product Ford has is the F-series.

JbeastJ

Established Member
Would it be worth getting if I can get it at a really good price? Or is the transmission really that bad? I'll probably drive it today or tomorrow.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Would it be worth getting if I can get it at a really good price? Or is the transmission really that bad? I'll probably drive it today or tomorrow.
with 86k on the clock you should be able to have someone pull an oasis report on it and see if it has been in for trans issues. if it was going to go bad it would have done so by now. also ford has extended the warranty out on them to 100k which the car is nearing the end of so keep that in mind

JbeastJ

Established Member
Well I'll plan on driving it for a year and flipping it right before it hits 100k, in that case. I'll have to call up the local Ford dealer and get an oasis report.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
My 2012 goes in Next Wednesday.....I finally signed up for owner.ford or whatever...

Saw my Vin, and the FSA: Transmission clutch shudder/transmission input shaft seal warranty extension. Called the local ford dealer and it looks like I just drop it off and they will fix it
Mine isnt "bad"

At lights it shudders a bit, and at decel it shudders a bit at low speeds ( less than 15mph)

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My parents focus is still a giant pos in terms of the dct.

I had both a focus and fiesta rental with the dct, and it somewhat changed my perspective. First day of driving either, the tranny was BAD. Like n00b 12yo with a clutch bad. The fiesta was a bit more do-able because it had manual mode which I used often in the first couple days.

By day 2-3, both cars were well sorted in how the DCT was performing. By the end of the week, I rather enjoyed the crisp shifts and both cars transmissions seemed to be ahead of me in knowing where they need to be for certain situations.

I think what helped was driving the piss out of them day 1-2 so they got the idea on how I drove versus how the prior rental people drove them. Both cars had under 10k on them (the focus was 2k-ish and the fiesta had 9500 on it), but im sure they have had different drivers each 100mi and different driving styles with no ecu reset so the transmission has to relearn each time a new driver gets in on how to shift per their driving styles.

Then I get up to norcal and drive my parents, and its still crappy no matter what.

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
Comporange, you like the car other than that?

I absolutely love the car overall.

I'm 6'1 200 pounds. It's very roomy driver seat wise for me. When the trans is working it's a GREAT shifting trans. Has enough get up and go to get out of its way and merge into traffic, and shifts like butter ( most of the time you can barely even notice when it shifts)

I like Sync ( especially since the update.. I have the SEL so I have the lights on the floor, doors, center which is a fun little added thing. I'm averaging 34mpg city/highway. Rides smooth.

Had a few chicks in the car who honestly when I said Focus were like "meh".. but once they sit in it their eyes light up, it doesn't " feel" like an old focus would. Ford definitely stepped their game up interior wise with this car.

It's nothing special, but it's a great daily IMO

Last edited:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The clutch assemblies are on intergalactic backorder. Luk is the vendor for Ford and they cannot meet production requirements. Something like 5,000 are being made a week and then shipped out all over the planet since they used this gearbox worldwide. I have something like 20+ assemblies that have been on backorder since December with a vague 8-12 week off backorder claim.

JbeastJ

Established Member
I'm not sure If I'll get this one or not, was looking at upgrading the dd. Thanks for the input though guys. I don't want something to break, then have to wait 2 months for parts that are backordered lol.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The clutch assemblies are on intergalactic backorder. Luk is the vendor for Ford and they cannot meet production requirements. Something like 5,000 are being made a week and then shipped out all over the planet since they used this gearbox worldwide. I have something like 20+ assemblies that have been on backorder since December with a vague 8-12 week off backorder claim.

yet they made enough to meet initial manufacturing run requirements?

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
I'm not sure If I'll get this one or not, was looking at upgrading the dd. Thanks for the input though guys. I don't want something to break, then have to wait 2 months for parts that are backordered lol.

They will let you drive the car...... They won't have the car for 2 months

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The new foci are great cars, except for the auto. If you can find a manual, like an st, you would be golden.

AAG

Established Member
And this is why you purchase a manual version when offered, CVTs and DCTs are taking over and they are crap.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member

LOL. OP I wouldn't bother, why play transmission roulette with a daily driver?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ok so what, exactly, is the latest on this? I have a 2012 titanium hatchback with about 20k on it. haven't driven it for a year but the GF was driving it when it just slipped out of gear and back in. she hates the guy I deal with at the dealer so won't take it in, I will have to do that when I get back on vacation. but are they actually replacing this stuff under warranty recall or what? if it is a straight up warranty replacement I will call the dealer and get on the waiting list, otherwise I will just wait till vacation time.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
On the other end of the spectrum, I've had my '14 for about a year, about 25k miles on it, never had any trouble.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I had a '12 Titanium hatchback. Overall I liked the car but the DCT did suck. I got used to it but I don't think I should have to "get used" to a major design flaw. I ended up trading it in for a '15 Escape. Much happier.

Users who are viewing this thread