Foam Canon Worth It?

jdcobra

Established Member
I use one of these too. No where near the amount of suds that a foam canon disperses but it's pretty good at getting the car soapy to get some lubrication goin. I still use this with the 2 bucket technique and it works just fine for me.

I love the idea of a foam canon but I just can't justify spending that money for a good foam canon setup. I'd rather spend that money on more meguiars hybrid wax and better quality towels and whatnot lol.

Twinkle Star 2 Pack Foam Cannon...
This gave my 1600 psi pressure more foam and made it so it was less watery.

jdcobra

Established Member
Bubbles 6-10-19.jpg

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Those damn birds were crap factories. I'd go out there and clean off the turd streaks, then 3 hours later it'd be loaded again.

I'm really glad I spent the time waxing over sealant. None of the turdsplosions ate into the paint. Unfortunately my poor Volvo's driver-side mirror cover is trashed. Dumb Robin decided to attack its reflection and crap all over the place.

That's how I plan on self defense from now on. Any mirror I see, I'm going to ram my face into it repeatedly while crapping everywhere.
I told you, I had to take out a bird that destroyed the mirrors on my Ram. That bird would fight with itself even if I folded in the mirrors. I hated the bird assassination, but I didn't want to replace heated mirrors again. Once was enough.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
I use one of these too. No where near the amount of suds that a foam canon disperses but it's pretty good at getting the car soapy to get some lubrication goin. I still use this with the 2 bucket technique and it works just fine for me.

I love the idea of a foam canon but I just can't justify spending that money for a good foam canon setup. I'd rather spend that money on more meguiars hybrid wax and better quality towels and whatnot lol.
I agree brother. #clankbeers

CV355

_
Established Member
I told you, I had to take out a bird that destroyed the mirrors on my Ram. That bird would fight with itself even if I folded in the mirrors. I hated the bird assassination, but I didn't want to replace heated mirrors again. Once was enough.

I had the Robin in my sights more than once. Couldn't pull the trigger because it'd be killing more than one bird, unfortunately. Once the babies flew off, the robin left the area and hasn't attacked my mirrors since. I had just repainted the covers two years ago too after hail trashed them. I guess it's due again.

Back to the foam cannon topic. I may use mine for applying siding cleaner to our house this weekend. I'm curious how it'll work out.

As for normal car washes, I'm back to just 2 bucket. So much quicker, and 98% vs 99% isn't worth the extra effort in my opinion. I used to have my '00 GT's paint feel like glass despite being an outdoor DD parked under a birch tree with just two buckets and a monthly waxing.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Used my canon for the first time last night. Not totally sure I had the soap mixture, canon settings exactly where they should have been, but it foamed pretty well.

Since the Shelby is ceramic coated I’m sure that played some part as to why it seemed so runny on the car.

As far as staying slick on the paint, there’s no doubt it felt better than a regular 2 bucket wash, and seemed to adhere to the vehicle without drying.

2E583A71-A760-45D4-876E-A54155A85E38.jpeg

The truck and traverse will get the treatment soon and I imagine the soap will stick better.

@jdcobra The twinkle tips you linked, there’s no way to use those on the MATTCO foam canon you linked earlier is there? The nozzle on it is adjustable and I don’t see a brass nozzle fitting on it to replace anywhere.

jdcobra

Established Member
Used my canon for the first time last night. Not totally sure I had the soap mixture, canon settings exactly where they should have been, but it foamed pretty well.

Since the Shelby is ceramic coated I’m sure that played some part as to why it seemed so runny on the car.

As far as staying slick on the paint, there’s no doubt it felt better than a regular 2 bucket wash, and seemed to adhere to the vehicle without drying.

View attachment 1580394

The truck and traverse will get the treatment soon and I imagine the soap will stick better.

@jdcobra The twinkle tips you linked, there’s no way to use those on the MATTCO foam canon you linked earlier is there? The nozzle on it is adjustable and I don’t see a brass nozzle fitting on it to replace anywhere.

There is. On the back of the foam cannon, use a wrench to take off the adapter piece. You’ll see the original fitting with a slit in it. Just use a flathead to remove and then install the new one. I have the $24 MATTCO foam cannon and it works wonders.

CV355

_
Established Member
GPM matters more to a foam cannon than PSI.

I used to have an electric power washer at 1.2gpm. It foamed ok.
We got a Honda commercial pressure washer at close to 4GPM and it'll leave 6" thick foam on every surface it hits. You need to adjust both the soap venturi and the nozzle blades to get the really thick foam.

I took ours out over the weekend to wash the Volvo, which desperately needed a thorough cleaning. Two bucket wash for the truck and the GT500. My new policy is "foam cannon only if the vehicle is disgusting, or for a full detail." Maintenance wash is 2BW only.

Coiled03

Established Member
I was debating whether or not to keep using my foam gun since I was so disappointed with it the first time. Turns out, my decision was made for me. On the second use, the plastic quick disconnect collar that attaches the nozzle to the dispenser broke. So much for that.

Pretty sure I'll never buy any equipment from Griot's Garage ever again.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
There is. On the back of the foam cannon, use a wrench to take off the adapter piece. You’ll see the original fitting with a slit in it. Just use a flathead to remove and then install the new one. I have the $24 MATTCO foam cannon and it works wonders.

Good stuff. So the nozzle made a pretty positive impact on the foam output with the gun... good to know.

Our other two vehicles are pretty bad so I’ll be anxious to see how well the foam works on breaking up the base crud.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I also found this bad boy when I was done. Our garage is a shit-show, and with multiple power wheels and other assorted crap being taken in and out by my boys, I guess this is just collateral damage.

AB4788D6-91B5-49B0-8391-0C05FD7F2415.jpeg

jdcobra

Established Member
I also found this bad boy when I was done. Our garage is a shit-show, and with multiple power wheels and other assorted crap being taken in and out by my boys, I guess this is just collateral damage.

View attachment 1580423

Man, consider yourself lucky if that’s all you found, lol. They paint on mine is like 6/10 and I bought it to help save the poor things life but then I got sick last year. The whole thing needs to be re-sprayed and some jackhole spilled brake fluid on the engine bay so it ate that away.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I won’t show off my battle scars on the hood.

It won’t ever be a show car. So I roll with it.

Just another reason I could never drive a mint museum piece.
Part of me wants the challenge of detailing your car. I almost want to tell you to take care of my round trip, food and hotel included, and I will make your car look better than the day you bought it.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread