FMS Aluminum Driveshaft

Steef21

Established Member
Hey guys,

Just bought the FMS Aluminum Driveshaft and was wondering if anything special needs to be done to install. I assume it is already balanced and ready to go. Does grease need to be applied at either end? Also what socket do I need for the 4 bolts? Any help would be great. Thanks

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I believe they are either 12mm or 14mm, use a 12-pt. It's a 15-minutes job, easy. Nothing else needs to be done.

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
how much did you get yours for and also what are the pros for getting one.

Steef21

Established Member
I got mine for 240 shipped. I have a vibration at 90+ mph that started occuring when I put my 4.10's in. I am hoping this cures that problem.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
CobraBallz97 said:
what are the other benefits of an aluminum driveshaft?
Primarily there is less rotating mass. This is beneficial in transferring power to the wheels slightly faster due to less weight of the aluminum driveshaft.

xr7boost

I heart torque.
Established Member
Steef21 said:
I got mine for 240 shipped. I have a vibration at 90+ mph that started occuring when I put my 4.10's in. I am hoping this cures that problem.

Sounds like an excuse for a lighter drivetrain... :-D :thumbsup:

CobraBallz97

Established Member
raven69david said:
Primarily there is less rotating mass. This is beneficial in transferring power to the wheels slightly faster due to less weight of the aluminum driveshaft.
any idea approximately how much more power it frees up? noticeable?

chrisdf_382

Banned
torque them bolts to like 80foot pounds.. if you use a regular wrench and tighten them with the wrench by hand... do not be suprised if they come lose and you develop a vibrating shaft. use a pipe or something to slip over the wrench to torque them down. i have way too much experience here... and if you lose just one bolt.. you will also know!!! :thumbsup:

Canada

Established Member
I used my 1/2" impact to tighten the driveshaft when I put the gears in last week. ;)

A lighter driveshaft will not make a difference in horsepower.....thats like saying a lighter flywheel would....or a lighter (not smaller) crank pulley.

A lighter driveshaft does the exact same thing as a lighter flywheel....or lighter wheels.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
I don't mind metric, it's the standard here metric there that bothers me.

+1 - I can't count the number of times I've looked at a bolt, thought "yeah, that looks like about 13mm, and this other one nex to it was also 13mm, so I'll try that again," gotten the wrench I need, got back under the car, realized it is in fact 1/2' and had to crawl out to get the correct tool. It's almost like they do it on purpose just to piss you off.

Users who are viewing this thread