Flywheel, Resurface, Billet steel, or Alum?

waltd20012002

Established Member
I'm gonna be upgrading to a 26 spline setup in a few months and I'm curious about what to do with the flywheel.
The car has 18,000 miles on the stock clutch and flywheel.
So what are some of your experiences, opinions, preferences, etc?

The car should be in the 500+ rwhp range once I finish my mods and may see a little 1/4 mile time or street racing here and there but its mostly a cruiser.

I've been doing some research and have found that most people prefer the billet steel flywheel when using an agressive clutch like a spec 3+ because it helps cut down on the chatter a little. Is this true?

What are the pros/cons of each option?

While I'm here i may as well hit on clutches too... What do you run, why, and does it chatter?

I'm leaning toward Centerforce DF or DFX. I'm not a big fan of the chatter but if its the only thing that'll hold, I may have to give in.
What do you guys think?
any and all opinions, experiences, advice welcome.
Although I have found a pretty good deal on a new DFX, I just have gotta come up with some funds.
thanks

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Spec 3+ with Fidanza Aluminum flywheel. No chatter here. The clutch break-in is important.

If you decide to resurface your old flywheel, I'd suggest an adjustable pivot. This will help adjust for a thinner flywheel which may put your clutch arm too close to the engine to fully disengage. Make sure clutch arm at rest is no closer to the flywheel than 1/2 way in the opening at the side of the opening.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have the Steel Ford Racing flywheel whith a CFDX and this set up has great street manors IMO.

waltd20012002

Established Member
yeah, I did the search thing which is where i got the info about the steel flywheel.
thanks for the input fellas

i run Spec3+ w/ Fidanza alum. flywheel in my drag car and it chatters like hell...
I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna get a new flywheel but I'm undecided on aluminum or billet steel. how much hp do you actually lose with the BS piece; 5-10?
what are the reasonings on running BS over aluminum?

Street manners are a must which is why I'm leaning toward the Centerforce DF. It'll supposedly hold over 600ft lbs of torque and is easily managable, right?

Last edited:

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I'm just now needing to replace my 4 year old, 20000 mile (many 1/8 passes) CF DFX clutch. I came to this forum to see what was new and see the Ram and McLoud (?) but am leaning towards another CF DFX. It was reliable, drivable, smooth and no issues until lately. Good luck in your final set-up.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
what are the reasonings on running BS over aluminum?
Spinning mass. A steel flywheel has more spinning mass than an aluminum will. You can get a harder hit on an aggressive takeoff, less likely to bog down the engine. When cruising on the highway, a heavier flywheel helps maintain speed.

Acceleration is easier on the engine with a lighter flywheel because a heavier flywheel takes more torque to accelerate it, but doesn't have the same momentum when just cruising. Engine can bog on an aggressive takeoff because of less rotational mass.

So if you quartermile race a lot, then a steel flywheel might be better, but remember that a harder hit means it's easier to break parts. If you like to roadrace or race from a roll, a lighter flywheel might be better. Might be better.

96badvenm

Established Member
I just went with a fidanza aluminum FW and a spec 2+. The 2+ is not as agressive as the 3+, but is still a full faced clutch that can hold up to 698 rwtq

So far i only have about 20 miles on the clutch, and no chatter, smoot engagment, light pedal feel.

waltd20012002

Established Member
thanks for the input fellas. I was checking out the 2+ as well.
here's what I've come up with so far

Centerforce DF or Spec2+ 26 spline
D&D 26 spline input
Ford Racing HD throwout bearing
Lethal HD TO Bearing retainer sleeve
Fidanza BS or Billet aluminum Flywheel
Fiore micro-click firewall adjuster & quadrant.

I'm still debating and researching the steel/aluminum flywheel situation. I want good street manners and something that'll hold when it needs to. i don't think this car will see much 1/4 mile racing to be honest. I've got a foxbody drag car but I'm sure i'll see some street/ highway action.

On a side note I did find a lengthy post on modular fords on this subject and it seemed that the majority of the guys were recommending the Billet steel flywheel.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would lean toward a light flywheel. A heavy flywheel is great for hard launches but once the clutch locks with the flywheel all the stored energy is used up and from then on it's a drag on the engine in every gear. A lot of drag racers are switching to a lighter FW for this reason.

waltd20012002

Established Member
probably just gonna go with the alum... i'm pumping my brakes on mods to save money for a new truck and pay off a few things. so it may be a little longer before i undertake this little project... unless of course i get stupid and break the 10 spline...
thanks for the input fellas, i appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread