Flywheel experts?

Black99Stage2

Established Member
My friend is getting his 02 GT motor rebuilt with blower cams and raising the boost etc....Now he's gonna have a Cobra crank which is 8 bolt and he needs to replace the flywheel and at the same time he's getting a SPEC stage 3 clutch cuz he'll have anywhere from 450-600RWHP....now i've seen all this stuff about flywheels being nodular iron, billet steel, and aluminum....Will a nodular iron break at this power level?...and what could anyone suggest?

Black99Stage2

Established Member
tt

anymore recommendations?...we have a spec stage 3 clutch...and have the chance to buy a nodular iron flywheel from a 03 Mach 1 brand new....Can flywheels handle that HP?

jimh

Established Member
I don't know about that clutch but at those upper hp levels ona boosted car I'd go with the aluminum flywheel. Less rotating mass. The heavier the flywheel the more torque that is stored. Boosted motors make plenty of low end torque and the lighter flywheel should make it easier to get traction of the line.

jim

Goldy

Established Member
I thought the '03s came with an aluminum flywheel from the factory.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
There was quite a debate on this on ModularFords. You might want to check over there.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
With the spec stage 3, POS for the daily driver. Awesome for the track but it will tear up your drive train. Get a stage 2.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Short summary: Because of lower mass, the Al flywheel has a smaller moment of inertia (I), and hence, results in less power loss during hard acceleration (given by P = Iwa). The higher the acceleration, the greater the loss, (so you lose most in first, less in 2nd, etc.) On the other hand, just as with any moving mass, it has a certain amount of kinetic energy (given by 0.5Iw^2). Some said they experienced less bog out of the hole with the Fe flywheel...some said they didn't. Anyway, that was the debate. I'm staying w/ the Al.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread