flywheel dowel pin size???

terminal5

Established Member
Hi there,

Can someone tell me the OD and length of the dowel pins that locate the pressure plate on a 2011 GT flywheel?

Tried ordering new ones from Ford and they don't show a listing of them. I can't really measure the old ones since they all were sheared off and missing. Car is also a bit out of the way at the moment.

Another victim of loose pressure plate bolts, out of warranty of course...

Thanks.

terminal5

Established Member
I see some clutch kits come with new dowels. I have an Exedy Mach 500 kit coming. Called AM, but they don't seem to think it comes with dowels.

Found that FRPP lists a dowel and bolt kit for earlier cars, M-6397-A46. Does this work with the Coyote flywheel?

scott_0

Established Member
I see some clutch kits come with new dowels. I have an Exedy Mach 500 kit coming. Called AM, but they don't seem to think it comes with dowels.

Found that FRPP lists a dowel and bolt kit for earlier cars, M-6397-A46. Does this work with the Coyote flywheel?
my Mach 500 clutch did not come with dowels, I assume the shop that installed it reused my stock dowels, I wasnt billed for new ones.........

terminal5

Established Member
This is starting to drive me nuts. The FRPP kit that's supposed to contain the dowels for a 2011 5.0 is M-6397-B46. However, the dowels in this kit measure .313" X .248" and about .7" long. Mine are .275" X .248" and just over 1" long. Big issue is the .313 vs .275" on the flywheel side. The straight dowels in the kit are all .248" diameter.

My car's an early (04/2010) build, wonder if that has something to do with it? Might have to see about getting some made locally, but these should be hardened and ground, so that's not going to be so easy.

Hmmm...

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
The exedy 500 is suppose to come with a hybrid dowel. However, the last one I installed they were missing. I just machined my own.

terminal5

Established Member
My clutch is supposed to arrive Friday and I need to be on the road Saturday, so I can't really afford to see what's in the box at this point.

I've ordered the dowel kit to arrive Thursday, then I plan to have a local machine shop open up the holes in the flywheel from about .275" currently to .312" or whatever, to get a good press-fit with the FRPP dowels. Shouldn't have to do this though...

terminal5

Established Member
Ended up turning down the big end of the early 4.6 style dowels that came from FRPP to fit the flywheel and not have to mess with it. Should be fine, but only engage the flywheel with about half the length the originals did. All they're really for is to locate the pressure plate before it gets torqued down anyway. Monster PITA though!

Just waiting for the clutch to show up now, then hope to be diving straight into a 5000 km road trip tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread