flywheel/clutch questions?

98SVTslobra

Established Member
I just ordered a aluminum flywheel and new clutch, i read that i should use the oem TOB and pilot bearings but would timkin bearings work as well? as far as flywheel bolts go, should i go with frpp or arp bolts, any input would help thanks guys

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
i would get new bearings but i don't see a need for new bolts i wouldn't replace those unless you strip one or something

gq916

Established Member
get a timken tob, new pilot bearing, clutch fork, and pivot bearing also. what kind of aluminum flywheel did u get?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
oem or you will be doing it again sooner rather than later, I think someone sais there is a trick too when you install it to put two springs on the clutch fork or sometheing so the TOB doesnt ride the clutch,...anyone know what I am tlaking about cause I wanna try it myself before I drop the cash to replace mine, I wanna see if my noise will go away

Toasty

Established Member
i would get new bearings but i don't see a need for new bolts i wouldn't replace those unless you strip one or something

Something in my memory says that the factory flywheel bolts are one time use. I cant remember this well enough to be definitive. My installer recommended ARP bolts for safety. I prefer my feet being attached to my legs.

whitefiveo

Established Member
if you drive your car every single day like me then get new oem TOB and pilot bearings. I have used a couple different ones, and the oem has lasted me the longest. As far as the bolts, I personally would go with ARP just to be safe.

98SVTslobra

Established Member
gq916 - i got a fidanza alum. flywheel, as far everyone else thanks for your input, looks like ill order some arp bolts, oem bearings, oem coble also id like to hear more about the double spring trick that psucobra96 mentioned, is it really needed to get a new clutch fork? thanks guys

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
There's a part to keep the TOB off the clutch. You connect it AFTER the tranny is installed. It goes between the ear on the bellhousing and the actual clutch fork. Slick piece- I'll probably try it next time I do a clutch. I think they're less than $20.

cobra916

Established Member
OEM TOB SUCKS dont get it... im a oem type of guy but these bearings suck.. search timken on google.. its known to be the best tob. get what GQ916 says just to have cheap insurance.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
There's a part to keep the TOB off the clutch. You connect it AFTER the tranny is installed. It goes between the ear on the bellhousing and the actual clutch fork. Slick piece- I'll probably try it next time I do a clutch. I think they're less than $20.

I have heard of people using two carb springs, is that what oyu are talking about?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
thats very interesting, for only 15 bucks, i say this because I just took my car in to get the TOB replaced, I couldnt stand it anymore and felt that it wasnt safe to race until it got fixed, I assume this mod is easy to install

98SVTslobra

Established Member
yeah i have aftermarket quadrant and adjuster, ill take a look at that ldc freeplay mod since its only $15, also i saw that there are 2 ford tob, the frpp and the oem one, any differnce between the 2?

cobra916

Established Member
Timken bearings bring precision engineering to overcome the throw out bearing dilema and headaches that the OEM squeaky TOB brings to mustang owners.
Timken uses Aramid Fibers (same composition on bullet proof vests and it should be noted that the Aramid fiber material is stronger than steel of it's same weight). This is the right choice. Do it right once and for all.

98SVTslobra

Established Member
thanks for all the help guys, ill order up timken tob and pilot some arp bolts for flywheel and pp, oem clutch fork and pivot ball and call it a day! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread