Flywheel and clutch help PLEASE.

skeeterd75

Established Member
I had a spec stage 3 in my Cobra and was slipping awful. I pulled it out and this is what it looked like. This was a brand new spec clutch and spec flywheel. Why do you think this happened. The pressure plate side was wearing good but the flywheel side was not making much contact. I ordered a new spec flywheel insert and a Mcloud twin disc. But Im afraid the problem my be in the flwheel itself if I just change the insert my new twin disc may do the same. What do you guys think? Thanks D....

flywheel insert.
specflywheel.gif

christmas09051.gif

christmas09052.gif

christmas09053.gif

pressure plate side
christmas09054.gif

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Do you have a aftermarket quad and adjuster or stock set up? I'm thinking maybe you had a little too much preload on the TOB. Or the disc was binding on the input shaft. I doubt there was a problem with the flywheel.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Subscribing...I'm installing a Spec 3+ in a few days with a Steel flywheel...little worried now, lol...

skeeterd75

Established Member
I called Spec this morning and I sent them pics. They said that is the way they break in from the outside in. And that it looked like it wasnt broken in all the way. It has about 650 miles on it. I think they are full of BS.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I know it says break in period is AT LEAST 500 miles and failure to do so = bye bye warranty with them. some even say closer to 1,000 miles. I'm going to break mine in closer to 1,000 miles to be safe.

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
WOW the stage 3 I was looking at also.. This is making me nervous as well... Thinking maybe the 2+ is the way to go now...

Addicted2Fun

Established Member
Tell you what, i have heard so many damn horror stories of spec 3+'s makes me SOOOOO happy with my Dual Friction Centerforce... no chatter at ALL and i can feather the clutch in or dump it how i see fit. Resurfaced the flywheel and away i went. Best investment to date.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I think this is just a 3, not a 3+ guys, there's a huge difference in the clutches.
You are correct on all fronts here. The Spec 3 has a puck style clutch disc like the Centerforce DFX. While there are folks that have gotten good results from the puck styles, the true full circular design of the 3+ is much more popular for the heavy ass, high torque Terminator.

Not sure why the clutch was slipping in this case, but I've seen MUCH worse looking clutch parts. As others have mentioned, wondering if this setup needed more breakin time.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
My spec 2+ 10 spline held up great so far at 450/500 but it went through 2 10 spline input shafts. Im ordering my 26 spline and a spec 2+ 26 spline this week. And i was at the track before 500 miles. Im only getting a new disc because of the new input shaft, this ones still grabbing fine and snapping stock shafts. I also have n f1 lightweight moly flywheel, after the horror of the ring for the starter teeth coming off my stocker i went with a solid piece.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread