Fly wheel question

hammerhead2

Established Member
Just curious on some of you guys opinion. I have seen several people that said they have resurfaced their flywheel but most clutch companys recommend aginst doing this saying that the stock flywheel is a low grade alluminum and was not meant to be resurfaced. So should I just pony up the cash for the new fly wheel or are they just trying to seel parts? Thanks in advance for any help.

Also any opinions on wheather to go with a alluminum fly wheel or billet steel? I am leaning towards the alluminum.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
You can resurface your flywheel. I thought the stock flywheel was steel...... If you want to get an aluminum its not a bad idea, its cheaper to resurface but a couple hundred more and you can get a Fidanza or Spec aluminum. That way you can cut down on ratational mass and recoupe some lost power. I got the Spec only because when upgrading my clutch I had to upgrade to a larger flywheel. 96-98 had 10.5 inch, you should have an 11 inch.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
...most clutch companys recommend aginst doing this saying that the stock flywheel is a low grade alluminum and was not meant to be resurfaced.

FYI: All flywheels have a steel friction surface (the part that you would resurface, if so inclined...)
Aluminum would wear out very quickly and in addition, would smear all over your clutch disc.

Warpage usually dictates purchasing a new insert, rather than resurfacing.

Stock is aluminum and a few people have said that McLeod can supply you with a replacement insert for it.

I use a SPEC aluminum but next time around I'm going with steel because the added inertia makes city driving easier when using an aggressive clutch.

Steel will shock the tires more at the strip, so I expect I'll have a new learning curve to master.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread