Fluidyne Radiator is leaking

djtyau

Established Member
I had previously started a post about how my car suddenly started to overheat. Well, last night I found the problem. My fluidyne was leaking from the top near the bracket on the drivers side. Thankfully, I saved my stock radiator.

I know Shelbyguy had mentioned he had leaking problems with his fluidynes so if you have one you might want to check yours out.

Last edited:
I'm curious since I just had a small coolant leak yesterday which I attributed to a weak radiator cap. I too have a Fluidyne. Was the leak obvious? After several WOT blasts today I pulled over at a rest stop and inspected the engine bay and the underneath of the vehicle for a good 15 minutes to see if there were any leaks anywhere. Nothing on my end. Was it a subtle leak? Good thread.

djtyau

Established Member
Yeah, the leak was weird. It started out very small where you couldn't even notice it, but I smelled coolant while I was driving. Then a few days later I saw my temperature gauge (sensor in the block) shoot up really quick. I pulled off the freeway and then waited until my temperature cooled down to check the fluid level. It was very low. So I went through the regular routine to fill up the radiator and the overflow tank and everything was good for a couple days. Then one day after getting home from work I parked my car in the driveway and I see coolant dripping from the bottom of my car. I popped the hood and I see coolant coming out from the mounting tab on the driver’s side. I contacted Fluidyne and they basically tough luck. I am sticking with the stock stuff for good.

Yeah, the leak was weird. It started out very small where you couldn't even notice it, but I smelled coolant while I was driving. Then a few days later I saw my temperature gauge (sensor in the block) shoot up really quick. I pulled off the freeway and then waited until my temperature cooled down to check the fluid level. It was very low. So I went through the regular routine to fill up the radiator and the overflow tank and everything was good for a couple days. Then one day after getting home from work I parked my car in the driveway and I see coolant dripping from the bottom of my car. I popped the hood and I see coolant coming out from the mounting tab on the driver’s side. I contacted Fluidyne and they basically tough luck. I am sticking with the stock stuff for good.

Some of these vendors really blow. You'd think that after paying $400 there would be something Fluidyne would be willing to do. If not a brand new radiator I would like at least have price on a replacement. I'm definitely going to examine mine closely if my coolant reservoir starts to recede a bit. The stocker is a pretty damn good radiator. If I could do it over again I would have left that one in.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
At least the Fluidyne is aluminum and if the leak is at a weld, you can always get it rewelded. Check to make sure that the coolant used is approved for use in bimetal applications (iron block, aluminum heads/ radiator). Bimetal applications can suffer bad electrolysis problems, leading to leaks.

BLK03SVT

Mike
Established Member
I had the same issue- a small leak near one of the welds on the top of the radiator. Fluidyne would not warranty it, however the shop that built my motor replaced it free of charge.

djtyau

Established Member
That sucks bro... Hope everything is well w/ your Termi. :) I heard bad stuff about Fluidyne (especially customer service). :fm:

Yeah, everything is good except that radiator. I really miss it because my temps were definitely cooler with the bigger radiator. Oh well.

How's you car running?

Georgie

Established Member
this sounds to familiar..their are at least fifteen guys on the corral that have had problems with fluydine ib their fox's.. they all leak. i have one in my fox but hasnt leaked yet...if i ever get another im going with griffen..sux to pay top dollar on a pos.

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
Yeah, everything is good except that radiator. I really miss it because my temps were definitely cooler with the bigger radiator. Oh well.

How's you car running?

Hmmm..well, glad everything else is going well. As for my car, it's parked. Same as the parts I have for it. I want to try to do one complete install, but it's quite frustrating. I hate waiting... :shrug:

Anyways, you should show up to a local cruise. Later! :rockon:

red9450

Established Member
I got one from american muscle. Not the fluidyne, but the other brand that they carry, and It's started to leak too. I'm half tempted to just keep some coolant with me, but I'll never be able to take it to the track.

djtyau

Established Member
Fluidyne's fix was to saw the top and bottom plates as a stress relief maneuver. It seems to have worked so far, for me (I'm on my 3rd one)

My previous two cracked at the weld on the passenger side bottom.

Are you referring to the mounting bracket plates? If so, how are you securing it?

timbo3282

Established Member
Bump for clarification

Fluidyne's fix was to saw the top and bottom plates as a stress relief maneuver. It seems to have worked so far, for me (I'm on my 3rd one)

My previous two cracked at the weld on the passenger side bottom.

What exactly was this solution? I am planning on installing a Fluidyne in my 03 Cobra this week upcoming and I don't want any leaks. I was thinking of installing the Mishimoto stays as they allow more flexing than the stockers so. What is Fluidyne recommending be cut?

ShelbyGuy hasn't been around in some time on these boards. Very knowledgeable guy I must say. Helped me out plenty in the past with all kinds of things.

timbo3282

Established Member
Anyone have some insight in how to keep the all aluminum rads from leaking? I am going with the Mishimoto 97-04 Mustang Aluminum Upper Radiator Brackets, I plan on making sure the ABS lines aren't pressing on the radiator - basically planning to make sure it can move freely.

It's my understanding that the leaks are typically caused by pinning the radiators in place - and that if they have some free play they don't crack at the welds. Also planning on adding some purple ice to protect against galvanic corrosion. Any tips from anyone with success in keeping their all aluminum rads from leaking is appreciated.

:beer:

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Anyone have some insight in how to keep the all aluminum rads from leaking? I am going with the Mishimoto 97-04 Mustang Aluminum Upper Radiator Brackets, I plan on making sure the ABS lines aren't pressing on the radiator - basically planning to make sure it can move freely.

It's my understanding that the leaks are typically caused by pinning the radiators in place - and that if they have some free play they don't crack at the welds. Also planning on adding some purple ice to protect against galvanic corrosion. Any tips from anyone with success in keeping their all aluminum rads from leaking is appreciated.

:beer:

Read my thread.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/772762-my-mishimoto-radiator-install.html

Users who are viewing this thread